Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Neck/Shoulder injury - which models should I be looking at for consistent light weight?

What's Hot

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    Reverend models are Korina which is very light.
    SGs are also usually light guitars.
    The Fender Brad Paisley tele model is made of paulownia and it's also very light.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    I quite fancy a PRS Hollowbody but I've always imagined they sound a bit anaemic alongside Gibson near equivalents like the 339 and would therefore be less versatile.  This is entirely based on hearing demos, I've never heard one in the flesh.  But they do seem to be very light, often coming in under 6lbs.
    average I've seen is about 5.5 lbs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    Jota said:
    They may be Korina, but the ones I've played have all been pretty heavy. They're generally quite large, which doesn't help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    also remember the Steinbergers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    edited February 2020
    I’d recommend trying a Rivolta Combinata like mine below 

https://i.imgur.com/WNhs7oX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h1IxgIa.jpg

chambered, and feels very light on the lap or on the strap and balances perfectly with a big comfy neck.  Two P90’s that give great tones. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27988
    ICBM said:
    I quite fancy a PRS Hollowbody but I've always imagined they sound a bit anaemic alongside Gibson near equivalents like the 339 and would therefore be less versatile.  This is entirely based on hearing demos, I've never heard one in the flesh.  But they do seem to be very light, often coming in under 6lbs.
    This one doesn't sound anaemic, but that might be because it has a Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates not the stock pickups...
    How much is it up for @ICBM ?

I’m probably going to buy one of the new SE models, but ....
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    If you want a Les Paul, there’s the various thin bodied versions: Smartwood Exotic (1998-2002 ish), the Smartwood Studio (early 2000’s), Custom Lite (various years), and the Standard 120 Light Flame (2014 only). Alas, none common.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27988
    edited February 2020
    You might find some options from non-mainstream builders?

I’m guessing that most of the branded manufacturers will have a spec for weight and anything that falls outside spec (whether too heavy or too light) is rejected.

This is a “non#mainstream” build and it weighs close to nothing.  Incredibly lightweight mahogany body.

When you get to the buying stage a “WTB” ad here, in which (lack of) weight is a key requirement might get you a few interesting suggestions.

(That ^^ one is not for sale!)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3135
    Exactly why I bought my Gordon Smith Gypsy 2, semi solid. There's one on reverb here but Auden have them in their range if you want a new one.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    TTony said:

How much is it up for @ICBM ?

I’m probably going to buy one of the new SE models, but ....
    ;)
    Not sure yet - it hasn't been priced. It's quite a tricky one to value because it's in such terrible condition for a PRS, but it will certainly be cheap by any normal Hollowbody standard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Prs Zach Myers 
    lovely necks and really light mine feels like a toy after playing my Tokai 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23653
    ICBM said:
    Jota said:
    They may be Korina, but the ones I've played have all been pretty heavy. They're generally quite large, which doesn't help.

The type of "korina" they use doesn't look particularly attractive, either.

Anyway, another suggestion.  If you can find an old PRS Mira X or Starla X, the bodies are made from what PRS called "African basswood" - actually obeche, I think - which is very light.  My Mira X weighs 5lbs (but is a bit neck-heavy as a result).

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Fender Brad Paisley Tele is hilariously light. Shockingly so in fact. You'll need to like a big (but very comfy) neck and a polarising finish but the sounds on offer are superb and you will hardly notice it hanging on you.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    Any thing with a paulwonia wood ,also called empress wood ,body will be light .I have a Tele thats really light ,almost floats  up to the ceiling and I did have a paulwonia strat  from GFS .As I am very old  and also have COPD  I find light guitars are my preferred type .Dont forget to watch out for how heavy the case is ,I have a Gibson Midtown thats light but not once its in its case so I have to shove it in a gig bag .Fender did an Empress wood special  tele and the brad Paisly tele is also paulwonia .
  • The fender modern player thinline tele is very light, and not too pricey either. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    ICBM said:
    Jota said:

Really?
    I had a Sensei that was light as feather and I assumed all were like that because of the wood type.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23653
    edited February 2020

I don't think korina is necessarily a particularly lightweight wood.  It might be a little less dense than mahogany, on average, but I'd say they're really quite similar. 

I've owned a few korina PRS guitars and my McCarty Korina is heavier than my mahogany/maple ones, although it's no boat anchor.

A nice piece of korina is really pretty, though.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Fender Aerodyne Strats are lightweight guitars, if you can find one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom