Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Neck/Shoulder injury - which models should I be looking at for consistent light weight?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33982
    Forshage Orion is that model.
    They are terrific instruments if you don't object tot he style of guitar- headless.

Otherwise a hollow Anderson oddly be a good recommendation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12101
    octatonic said:
    Forshage Orion is that model.
    They are terrific instruments if you don't object tot he style of guitar- headless.

Otherwise a hollow Anderson oddly be a good recommendation.
    yes, I have a hollow Suhr that's very light too
  • PRS Vela is very light and well balanced. I've owned two now but other people report this, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I empathise with the OP having had upper and lower spinal surgery, plus a significant shoulder op. I don't always need a very light guitar these days, but when I do, I have that option covered. I have a Suhr Alt-T Pro (Thinline T-style) that I custom ordered with a belly cut to improve ergonomics. Although the rear contour obviously cuts into the hollow cavity somewhat, it's not affected the sound that much and the guitar is a dream to play. Two coil-split humbuckers that sound surprisingly good in single coil mode, it's a versatile, superb sounding guitar and is dead light. Not cheap, but looking after your health when you need to is worth forking out for.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9607
    Was the 5lb 10oz Tele a thinline or just a very lightweight body blank?
    A thinline with a solid rosewood neck
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    Categorically not being facetious, but has the OP considered or tried a custom strap to better distribute the weight?
  • Fair comment Kittyfrisk, that does help somewhat too. 
  • My Jackson Soloist is super light... I appreciate that it's on the pointy/metal- looking side of things, but the Charvel DK24 range all have smaller bodies and the 2-point trem models don't look particularly metal
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Categorically not being facetious, but has the OP considered or tried a custom strap to better distribute the weight?

My favourite strap is 65mm wide leather, but I have experimented with a large neoprene pad that spreads the weight over a much larger area - ultimately it just extends the time before the discomfort kicks in with my heavier instruments.
  • smallest and lightest piece I've used has been a Steinberger copy ( mine is a Cort but theres a variety of different others inc Steinbergers own ) - pickups upgraded and in a band mix it works ...  I will confirm weight 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    Have you seen the strap that Matt heafy of trivium uses ? 
    Might be worth a go as it looks to spreads the weight across both shoulders 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23653
    sgosden said:
    Have you seen the strap that Matt heafy of trivium uses ? 
    Might be worth a go as it looks to spreads the weight across both shoulders 
    I've just looked it up.  I wonder if there's a way of redesigning it so the second strap isn't wrapped around the body?  It looks like it would be a bit annoying...
    Just wondering, has anyone experimented with adapting a saxophone harness to take a guitar?

Image result for saxophone harness uk

They do similar harnesses for outdoor cases.
    https://www.flohr-industriebedarf.de/B-W---outdoor-case---VAR-S-B-W-Rucksack-System--BPS--fuer-Outdoor-Cases.html
    Or outdoor tool rigs,  https://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/ego-power-plus-afh1300-frame-and-harness-for-bax1300-56v-backpack-battery

Seems that with a bit of ingenuity & fiddling about, you could get something that would take the load off the shoulders almost completely.
    You might feel a bit awkward, but if it helps, then sod that  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    Just wondering, has anyone experimented with adapting a saxophone harness to take a guitar?
    Rickenbacker in the 1950s.

http://www.ronsvintage.com/1957 Rickenbacker 950 Tulip in Jet Black.htm

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Rickenbacker in the 1950s.

http://www.ronsvintage.com/1957 Rickenbacker 950 Tulip in Jet Black.htm
    Wow, well remembered. I meant anyone on tFB, but it's always good to learn something new  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    edited February 2020
    Kittyfrisk said:

Wow, well remembered.
    I'm not old enough to remember the 50s . (Or the 60s really...)

I've seen a couple of old Ricks with the sax hook plate - usually they get normal strap buttons added as well, so it's rare to see an original one that hasn't.

It is probably also worth mentioning that the Rickenbacker 400 series are light guitars - around 6-7lb usually - and have the neck set in fairly deeply so they balance well - but you do have to like Rickenbackers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Tom Andersom Hollow Body Drop-Top super strat - mine is very light, 6lbs max

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    dt1_sml.JPG 46.7K
  • Plenty of interesting suggestions, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    Check out the Guild M75 Aristocrat. It’s a LP shaped small hollowbody with single coils and 24.75 scale length. I absolutely love mine. I paid about £650 and it weighs 5lb exactly.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Ovation Breadwinner / Deacon? Designed to be light and comfortable.