Oh Lordy, more GAS! New Epiphones.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I have been wanting a single cut TV Yellow Les Paul style guitar for goodness knows how long. Today the new edition of  Guitar magazine drops through the letter box and what’s on the cover? The new Epiphone TV Special! It is glorious looking and what I would call a very wallet friendly £349! It has the new headstock and chunky neck. The only problem is it has come at a bad time what with the move coming up to my new place and the costs that come with it. This may actually be a good thing, giving it a chance to come on to the used market and also a chance for reviews to make it to YouTube. I am very excited by this guitar, anyone else thinking of purchasing one of the new Epiphones? The white SG looks rather nice, I think Epiphone are really going in the right direction with these new guitars. Fingers crossed they play and sound as good as they look.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like the Uptown Kat.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Love the Pelham blue SG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    I would have been interested in the new Firebird if it was available in left-handed and had a fat neck, apparently the right-handed ones are skinny though.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    longjaw said:
    I would have been interested in the new Firebird if it was available in left-handed and had a fat neck, apparently the right-handed ones are skinny though.
    I did notice with the three guitars reviewed (TV special, ‘61 SG and 50’s standard) none were available in left hand, that’s missing a trick and really quite a shame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I had bad GAS about the new modern les Paul series, then I saw in a few places that the quality control was terrible ( ‘inspired by Gibson’ indeed ) and that many guitars had paint defect, borderline unplayable action and high frets - that cured it straight away.
    I don’t mind doing a bit of fretwork on cheapo guitars but not in that price range.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Certainly interesting at the price, good to see some chunky necks too
    edited March 2020
    lysander said:
    I had bad GAS about the new modern les Paul series, then I saw in a few places that the quality control was terrible ( ‘inspired by Gibson’ indeed ) and that many guitars had paint defect, borderline unplayable action and high frets - that cured it straight away.
    I don’t mind doing a bit of fretwork on cheapo guitars but not in that price range.
    That’s a shame, I thought Epiphone had their game together a bit better than that. I still think I’m going to reserve judgement until I’ve seen one in the flesh and played it.
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:
    That’s a shame, I thought Epiphone had their game together a bit better than that. I still think I’m going to reserve judgement until I’ve seen one in the flesh and played it.
    I will probably go and check some out in a shop when they land
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4762
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I had a Epiphone Les Paul 60’s Tribute high specs couldn’t fault it.Maybe I was lucky.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    zepp76 said:
    longjaw said:
    I did notice with the three guitars reviewed (TV special, ‘61 SG and 50’s standard) none were available in left hand, that’s missing a trick and really quite a shame.
    My sub runs out this month and I may not renew. Fed up reading articles about guitars followed by left handed No. What a waste of time. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?
    I was thinking about the modern series which is around £600. Also it’s quite possible that some of the models are on average better made than others.
    edited March 2020
    lysander said:
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?
    I was thinking about the modern series which is around £600. Also it’s quite possible that some of the models are on average better made than others.
    That works out at the same price ratio as gibson special vs standard
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?
    @rlw yes the TV Special is just £349
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    zepp76 said:
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?

Have you seen the model by Vintage?

Different brand and headstock but it's a LPS with a tuneomatic which is something I myself would always prefer.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4762
    zepp76 said:
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?

Different brand and headstock but it's a LPS with a tuneomatic which is something I myself would always prefer.

Can't beat a wrapover tailpiece for looks and historic authenticity.  Mind you, intonation is another matter.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    lysander said:

£350.00 ?

Can't beat a wrapover tailpiece for looks and historic authenticity.  Mind you, intonation is another matter.

They do mention in the reviews that a bit of fettling of the wraptail may be required to sort intonation. I personally like these little quirks.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I know you can take some of what they say with a pinch of salt buton Andertons YouTube Pete Honore back to backed the Gibson and the Epiphone and although he managed to spot the Epiphone Special in the blindfold test you could tell he was struggling, annoyingly the Junior (that i was considering) he spotted in a heart beat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBGRpOQQDw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 158
    sweepy said:
    Love the Pelham blue SG
    Me too!
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1420
    Anyone play the new Epi SG standard yet?