Oh Lordy, more GAS! New Epiphones.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Quite keen to try the new LP Jr and the Classic Worn Ebony. Wasn’t that taken by the new Custom. Still felt a bit cheap and nasty compared to other guitars in a similar price bracket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    This isn't helping my gassing for the special. I will play one first though before committing. I wonder if a non compensated bridge will work with straight posts. I love the feeling of a flat bar. Extreme compensation via grub screws might have an adverse effect on the sound I guess

https://guitar.com/review/electric-guitar/the-big-review-inspired-by-gibson-epiphone-les-paul-special-les-paul-standard-50s-sg-standard/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1847
    roberty said:
    This isn't helping my gassing for the special. I will play one first though before committing. I wonder if a non compensated bridge will work with straight posts. I love the feeling of a flat bar. Extreme compensation via grub screws might have an adverse effect on the sound I guess

https://guitar.com/review/electric-guitar/the-big-review-inspired-by-gibson-epiphone-les-paul-special-les-paul-standard-50s-sg-standard/
    Indeed, the gold top standard may we’ll be my next purchase.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1316
    tFB Trader
    Epiphone are designed to look great in a photo, and the new range certainly does. I find that GAS usually evaporates close-up when you get to hold and play the thing.

The stunning green sg special, weirdly in the modern range, looks drab in non-pro photos, and the obvious edges to the top look embarrassing. Then there's the fit and finish issues that have been reported about this new lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    timhulio said:
    Epiphone are designed to look great in a photo, and the new range certainly does. I find that GAS usually evaporates close-up when you get to hold and play the thing.
    That was certainly my experience but I would like to try one of the 50s ones with rolled fingerboard edges, and the classic worn which should have a less plasticky finish.
    timhulio said:

The stunning green sg special, weirdly in the modern range, looks drab in non-pro photos, and the obvious edges to the top look embarrassing. Then there's the fit and finish issues that have been reported about this new lot.
    Exactly mate, it seems too good to be true so I am naturally wary. A lot of my GAS evaporates on contact even with posh stuff. I am open minded though and will definitely try one in a shop
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    ^ I find this too. I'll obsess and research something for months then when I get one in my hands its like meh :( 
    edited March 2020
    sawyer said:
    ^ I find this too. I'll obsess and research something for months then when I get one in my hands its like meh  
    Also while I am playing a guitar I already own I am not thinking about buying one lol
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25046
    edited March 2020
    roberty said:
    timhulio said:

Exactly mate, it seems too good to be true so I am naturally wary. A lot of my GAS evaporates on contact even with posh stuff. I am open minded though and will definitely try one in a shop
    I quite like that GAS-evaporating feeling.  You trek out to a shop somewhere, fully expecting to come back lugging a guitar case... but within five seconds of picking it up you think "No, that's a few hundred quid (or even a couple of grand) I don't have to spend".  It's actually a bit of a buzz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1316
    tFB Trader
    Haha that's very true. And my story with every Gretsch ever!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    What’s the consensus on the pick guard? Is black fine or would a nice tortoiseshell one suit it better?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    timhulio said:

I had one here last week, a Les Paul in what I imagine they call ice tea. Thick gloopy finish, a bit cloudy on the top. A couple of spots around the top were missing colour as if it had been sanded back too far.

Veneers top and back, the top maple one with no real grain to speak of.  Frets were level enough. 

The worst thing though is this one just didn't sound very good.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Disappointed today to see that the Firebird V and new Explorer both suffer from the usual Epi neck profile with a mahoosive flat-spot on the back of the neck. It’s an automatic “no” from me on any similarly-afflicted models!