which would win in a fight? Tremolos.....??

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
Mooer Trelicopter or a Boss TR-2 ??Anyone compared or owned both? Still looking for my Boulivard Of Broken Dreams pedal as its currently a regular in my bands set list.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    Haven't tried the boss, but i love my trelicopter. Can nail just about any trem. No volume drop on mine either.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

..on price the Mooer sounds good as it is available for £48 new to the TR-2's £79 (which is as cheap as I've found both pedals). Also the Mooer would easily squeeze into a small corner somewhere on my board in between 2 pedals as its so small it will claim less real estate. Hmmm it sure sounds good in the demo....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I've never tried the Mooer but you can rule the Boss out anyway since it doesn't go deep/square-wave enough for that sound. The PN-2 did but you won't get one cheap these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    IIRC the Mooer is based on the Demeter Tremulator. Not sure it will really do the Boulevard thing. Also IIRC that was an effect synced in pro tools and even Green Day can't even pull it off live properly. The Mooer Mod Factory has a Stutter effect as well as a tremolo so might be worth a look. Not sure it's the best multi fx in the world but from what I've read the Stutter ( heavy tremolo more like Boulevard) and the tremolo are fine and it's still cheap.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary said:

Also IIRC that was an effect synced in pro tools
    Apparently it's an AdrenaLinn III - which makes sense because the tremolo pulses are not evenly deep. (It could also be MIDI-sync/'ed if so.)

You might be able to get close in a smaller format with a ZVex SeekTrem, but they aren't exactly cheap either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Also IIRC that was an effect synced in pro tools
    Apparently it's an AdrenaLinn III - which makes sense because the tremolo pulses are not evenly deep. (It could also be MIDI-sync/'ed if so.)

You might be able to get close in a smaller format with a ZVex SeekTrem, but they aren't exactly cheap either.
    I know there was a long Discussion on here about it and a few possibilities. I'm sure someone said they saw Green Day live and they used a backing tape for it!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I'm sure someone said they saw Green Day live and they used a backing tape for it! 
    That wouldn't surprise me… since they were also in the thread about using hidden or semi-hidden extra musicians as well.

I don't like it - I'd rather see an approximation played live than an exact reproduction not played live. If I want the exact reproduction I can go home and put the record on.

This is pretty conclusive for the original though - . (Linked from the Roger Linn website.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I've had a Mooer Trelicopter. It's a Tremulator clone and is exceptionally good considering how cheap it is, but it's designed to be a smooth ampy sounding trem so it's not going to do anything like a nasty chop.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Are we here again? Get an M5 it has a seek trem on it.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The Minifooger trem sounds good but as an M5 owner I'd back @frankus
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yeah, no way does the Trelicopter come anywhere near to the on-off-on effect you're after. The TR2 is a bit better, as is the EH Pulsar. You should be able to pick up a second hand example of either for about the same price as a new Mooer.
    The PN2 is also my trem of choice. If you're lucky you might get one, but not for the price of a Mooer, sadly.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    Tremolo can be nasty and hurt your ears, but one that seems to NOT do my head in like the brain washing scene from the Quiller Memorandum is the Mad professor Mellow Yellow...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    This all goes to show that we all have our own different preferred tastes when it comes to sounds :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited June 2014
    siraxeman said: The one in the Boss GT-100 is acceptable enough so I'd guess the boss TR-2 could do add well as that does right?

/\ NO - TR is analogue and the BOSS GT are all
    COSM
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2014
    57Deluxe said:
    siraxeman said:
    The one in the Boss GT-100 is acceptable enough so I'd guess the boss TR-2 could do add well as that does right?

/\ NO - TR is analogue and the BOSS GT are all COSM So the TR-2 is not as good as the GT-100's trem effect? Is it really analogue? (the TR-2)
    siraxeman said:
    Is it really analogue? (the TR-2)
    Yes.

But that's irrelevant if it doesn't have the depth range or wave shape you want. I suspect tremolo - which is just cyclical change of volume - is one effect where a digital emulation should be indistinguishable from analogue too, unless the specific analogue pedal is altering the tone in some pleasing way as well.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    Imho, and im pissed up in Greece, is thst the best the Demeter Tremulator... Great for those organic Cooder Southern comfort sounds....

Hmmmm... southern comfort, ther's an idea...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I'd get an ehx pulsar, I had one and it excelled at choppyness.