Pono - a replacement for MP3 & iPod?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    @Skipped I see your points about a forum becoming too fussy, but at the same time, if everyone just says "I've bought this, I like it because I do" there isn't going to be much discussion is there?

Surely it's fair enough for that forum to ask you to say a bit about why you like something and how it compares to what else you've got?
    Yes that is fair enough. We have chatted about this before. At some point I will try to figure out how the CD version compares.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited June 2014
    I've got one of these @ICBM http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiio-L11-Multi-Functional-iPod-Converter/dp/B008EKON56/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=IT409TDZC3UF&coliid=IG89LM1SQTOJ7 ;

Just more convenient as you plug in one connector to the phone and get audio out and power in. And the line level is a fixed volume, so one less thing to faff about with. 

So we have @skipped! I'll have to do some tests too at some time, I've got several ways of getting a cd/spotify into my speakers so should compare sometime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73176
    I've got one of these @ICBM http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiio-L11-Multi-Functional-iPod-Converter/dp/B008EKON56/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=IT409TDZC3UF&coliid=IG89LM1SQTOJ7 ;

Just more convenient as you plug in one connector to the phone and get audio out and power in. And the line level is a fixed volume, so one less thing to faff about with.
    Aha! Brilliant. It lets you charge it at the same time, most useful. Thanks :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    Skipped said:
    My stance would be that we just let people listen to whatever they want.  :)
    I am listening to half a dozen Donald Fagan and Steely Dan Albums in 24/192 Flac format through a pretty decent Meridian/Linn rig. I don't know if the 9000kbps is transferring itself to my ears. I just know it sounds very good. I don't want to analyse anything, I just want to enjoy the music. I have noticed that I listen to the whole albums from start to finish, something I did regularly 20 years ago. If this is because the album is remastered - that's fine.

I had a quick look at the Hydrogenaudio forums. If you post in there that you have bought an amp and you really like the way it sounds, several people (including forum moderators) will jump on you asking you to quantify the statement , or edit the post, or leave.
    Let's not go there.
    If a forum member here buys a Boutique PAF style pickup and posts a few words about what he has noticed when he  compares it to the the Boutique PAF style pickup that he removed from his guitar 10 minutes ago....I will read what he has to say with great interest. And compare his thoughts with comments about the same product from other forum members. And this may or may not influence my decision to give that pickup a try one day.

I like our forum a lot.
    I have no plans to become a member of hydrogenaudio forums.
    In fairness this is a thread specifically about the merits of a product in relation to the iPod.

I agree about not jumping down peoples throats and that's why if someone talks about vinyl I don't comment unless they start going on about how much higher fidelity it is than CD (and actually I've stopped doing that as well as mostly you are wasting your time.)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    johnnyurq said:
    I misred it as Pony @EricTheWeary so please lets not mash up our two mistakes to make an even scarier one.
    :-O

I'm now thinking about a young Jenny Aguter in Equus. :) I'm now thinking about Equus :-<
    Nothing wrong with thinking about Jenny Agutter, especially Logan's Run era her. Equus not so much due to the subject matter and the thought of Harry Potter's Johnson dangling about. Far too scary to contemplate.

Now shall we all sing a verse and chorus of I Love Horses or my little Pono?

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7405
    What is the point of high quality Neil young songs?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73176
    What is the point of high quality Neil young songs?
    lol

I sometimes wonder why he bothers with a strobe tuner for each string of his guitar though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 5042
    Drew_fx said:
    I can't stand the transient smearing you get with a 128k mp3. But 320k I don't mind. I prefer FLAC if I can get it.
    You are pretty good at dishing FLAK out as it is....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum