Found a design fault in the Telecaster!!

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5018
I have a Telecaster and I enjoy playing it but it has one design fault - you cannot use a right angled jack plug to connect it to the amp.  One of my 'better' guitar leads has a right angled jack plug, this allows a neat grip the cable with the strap when used with a Les Paul, an Anderson and a Gibson Melody Maker.  The output jack socket on the guitar is recessed whereas on all of my other guitars, apart from the Strat, the output jack is flush or slightly proud of the body.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    Ha, yes!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72981
    You only just noticed? People have been moaning about that for about 60 years!

:)

Use a Neutrik right-angle plug, they fit fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    That’s a design fault in the jack plug you might want to send it back; telecasters are a flawless masterpiece of functionality. ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4991
    Guess what - I've found a design fault with the Stratocaster!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    prowla said:
    Guess what - I've found a design fault with the Stratocaster!
    Only one?!  ;)  =)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5018
    ICBM said:
    You only just noticed? People have been moaning about that for about 60 years!

:)

Use a Neutrik right-angle plug, they fit fine.

Mostly I play at home and unplugged.  I have a Neutrik right angled silent plug on a lead but lately it has become a bit unpredictable.  Some times it works, at other times it remains silent :angry:   I usually play the Les Paul or the Anderson plugged in and I happened to have that cable to hand........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Those silent plugs are a pain. Just get a decent normal plug and put the amp on standby/turn volume down/pull the amp end of the cable halfway out before you unplug at the guitar end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The big flaw for me is that the control plate is too cramped - changing pickups on the fly is hard and I sometimes end up grabbing the tone control instead of the volume.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11724
    tFB Trader
    Needs a tummy cat and an arm chamfer, and better top fret access too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2020
    Strangely, I actually don't miss the tummy cut on a Tele - I certainly would on a Strat but I'm used to Teles being slabs lol

Not that that guitar isn't a thing of wonder, Jon. I remember it well.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    I prefer them without any body shaping - I actually find them more comfortable without, and they feel more like an acoustic.

The big flaw for me is what Bucket said - the position of the switch and volume control makes it nearly impossible to move the switch from the bridge to either of the other positions quickly and without knocking the volume. I also tend to hit the switch accidentally a lot - but reversing the plate is worse, it doesn’t solve the first problem (in fact it’s worse since it’s now going *to* the bridge quickly which is hard) and it puts the volume control right in the way.

So my favourite Tele is an Esquire with the switch removed. But then I miss the neck pickup...

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    Actually you can use a right angled plug on some of them. It depends how far out the jack socket is adjusted. It's got two nuts on it so you can wind it out a little further and still use a right angled jack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11510
    The bigger design flaw is the control plate layout.  The pickup selector switch is too close to the volume knob.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    I use a right angle jack with my Tele.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16926
    crunchman said:
    The bigger design flaw is the control plate layout.  The pickup selector switch is too close to the volume knob.
    easily solved though

https://ruttersguitars.com/38-over-control-plate
    https://ruttersguitars.com/angled-selector-switch-control-plate
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    It's only an issue with the Fender Tele - most other T types don't have a recessed jack socket, like my Vintage V52.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31913
    My Teles have Les Paul jack plates, and I just bung in a 5-way switch wired neck/both/bridge/bridge/bridge, so I don't have to flick it all the way over to the volume pot but it doesn't matter if I accidentally overshoot. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11510
    edited March 2020
    WezV said:
    crunchman said:
    easily solved though

https://ruttersguitars.com/38-over-control-plate
    https://ruttersguitars.com/angled-selector-switch-control-plate

I've seen things like that.  Personally I'd prefer the volume knob a bit closer to hand as well.

This is a better control layout on the Peavey Steve Cropper signature:

Just put in a traditional Tele bridge, and bridge pickup, and lose the switch at the back, and it's a Tele with the problems fixed.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19324
    Needs a tummy cat and an arm chamfer, and better top fret access too

We all need a tummy cat  ;) :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4991
    ICBM said:
    Those silent plugs are a pain. Just get a decent normal plug and put the amp on standby/turn volume down/pull the amp end of the cable halfway out before you unplug at the guitar end.

My tuner pedal goes silent when you switch to tune...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom