Found a design fault in the Telecaster!!

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11510
    edited March 2020
    prowla said:
    ICBM said:
    Those silent plugs are a pain. Just get a decent normal plug and put the amp on standby/turn volume down/pull the amp end of the cable halfway out before you unplug at the guitar end.

My tuner pedal goes silent when you switch to tune...

Either approach works, but the silent plug is just a moving part waiting to break.

That reminds me that I have nice lead with a dodgy one of those on.  I need to get a normal jack to replace it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27662
    I do 2 things to Teles - put a metal Les Paul-style jackplate on them, and fit a custom control plate that moves the volume knobs away from the switch by about 1/4". Both dead simple and make a world of difference.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Needs a tummy cat and an arm chamfer, and better top fret access too

And angled headstock > straight :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1066
    edited March 2020
    ICBM said:
    Those silent plugs are a pain. Just get a decent normal plug and put the amp on standby/turn volume down/pull the amp end of the cable halfway out before you unplug at the guitar end.
    I’ve been using Cleartone cables with silent neutrik plugs for the blues jams we run for several years with absolutely no failures. That’s at least twenty changeovers per jam, three jams a month, for at least five years. Not a pain at all. They are all straight plugs. 
    ICBM said:
    I’ve been using Cleartone cables with silent neutrik plugs for the blues jams we run for several years with absolutely no failures. That’s at least twenty changeovers per jam, three jams a month, for at least five years. Not a pain at all. They are all straight plugs. 

You have been lucky.  Quit while you are ahead.
  • I can't think of any electric guitar designed mid 20th century that doesn't have its fair share of idiosyncrasies...

Except the flying V. That thing is perfect.  =)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8841
    A couple of years ago I put together a list of personal Telecaster “design improvements”: forearm and Belly chamfers, individual saddles, reverse the control plate and go vol/tone/switch, 4 or 5 way switch, tapped bridge pickup, non-Tele neck pickup, string block rather than ferrules, zero fret, curve sided neck plate, get rid of the scratch plate, extend the upper bout to improve balance ....

Somewhere along the route it ceased to be a Tele
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Bucket said:
    The big flaw for me is that the control plate is too cramped - changing pickups on the fly is hard and I sometimes end up grabbing the tone control instead of the volume.

I love the shape of Telecasters, but sometimes there are problems that I can't get over. One of them is the selector which which is just WRONG. @SteveRobinson built this one for me and he used a John5 control plate and put in a toggle on the upper body, in the same place that it is on a Les Paul. I know, which two P90s, that this isn't actually a true Telecaster, but it works for me and has been gigged pretty hard over the past few years.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13017
    @vasselmeyer  ;I'd probably have gone for a different finish but thats pretty much my dream telecaster right there. Nice!!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    I always put Gibson style jack plates on my Tele's unless they are expensive things that would be devalued by doing so.

My current favourite Tele addresses the control location issues, enough for me:

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    For me, Telecasters have to be blonde with a black scratchplate. Nothing else is right

The finish is a thin nitro, and has aged very nicely. I think Steve built this for me in 2013, so this is seven years of being gigged once a week.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've got bored with blonde Teles.  Give me black or sunburst any day, or Lake Placid Blue with rosewood board.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    ICBM said:
    I prefer them without any body shaping - I actually find them more comfortable without, and they feel more like an acoustic.

The big flaw for me is what Bucket said - the position of the switch and volume control makes it nearly impossible to move the switch from the bridge to either of the other positions quickly and without knocking the volume. I also tend to hit the switch accidentally a lot - but reversing the plate is worse, it doesn’t solve the first problem (in fact it’s worse since it’s now going *to* the bridge quickly which is hard) and it puts the volume control right in the way.

So my favourite Tele is an Esquire with the switch removed. But then I miss the neck pickup...
    Of course this was fixed on the 70s custom and deluxe models where a traditional 3 way toggle was fitted. And it fixed the other design fault of the Tele...individual pick up tone and volume controls for better control. I do like the option to roll off the volume on one pick up and then switch that fast with a full throttle cranked tone.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    Question- what tool do I need to tighten the bolt on the jack? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72981
    Voxman said:

Of course this was fixed on the 70s custom and deluxe models where a traditional 3 way toggle was fitted. And it fixed the other design fault of the Tele...individual pick up tone and volume controls for better control. I do like the option to roll off the volume on one pick up and then switch that fast with a full throttle cranked tone.
    Not for me - I much prefer the simplicity of one volume, one tone. I just roll the volume up full when I want that.

The Tele Thinline has it nearly right, but they somehow missed a golden opportunity - with the much larger cavity below the pickguard - of moving the tone control further down towards the end of the guard, the volume down just a little, and having the switch at a more Strat-like angle, a bit like that Tele plate WezV posted above. Having the switch in line with the volume pot is just... doh!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7113
    tFB Trader
    A half inch socket driver, assuming it's not the retainer inside that's loose.

Quite often rotation of the retainer has chewed up the wood meaning it can no longer grip. The solution then is a Les Paul style plate or preferably an Electrosocket.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    A half inch socket driver, assuming it's not the retainer inside that's loose.

Quite often rotation of the retainer has chewed up the wood meaning it can no longer grip. The solution then is a Les Paul style plate or preferably an Electrosocket.
    It's the hexagon bolt here, I cam turn it and mildly tighten it with my nail but not enough for it to stay in place for very long.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72981
    The answer is always Electrosocket.

The stock Tele jack cup is a bodge that should have been corrected at least fifty years ago. It *can* work properly, if you get the metal piece bent just-right to begin with, it flattens into the wood correctly, and you can hold it all in place without it spinning and chewing up the wood while you tighten up the nut *really tight* with a socket - in short, it works reasonably well once, when done at the factory. It's very hard to make it work properly again when the nut has slipped, the plate has bent, the wood it's supposed to grip is worn, or a combination of any of those...

One of the very few truly *bad* (not just down to personal preference) bits of design on a Fender instrument, and astounding that neither Leo nor anyone else came up with something better in all the time before the Electrosocket was invented.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    You need the half inch socket driver then.
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

One of the very few truly *bad* (not just down to personal preference) bits of design on a Fender instrument, and astounding that neither Leo nor anyone else came up with something better in all the time before the Electrosocket was invented.
    This was his second attempt too. Up until 53 the cup was a knurled affair which was pressed/hammered into the hole.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom