Kawai. Probably the best ...

What's Hot

Comments

• KevSKevS Frets: 512
    The Body looks similar to my Westbury Standard too..Great guitar,but I Dwarf it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    edited April 2020
    These look cool as. 
    My first two “proper” guitars I bought where a 78 Washburn falcon and a 83 westone prestige 250. 
    I really want the 250 back. 

The dude who used to run my areas only guitar shop (RIP Pete) used to play some Aquarius strat style guitar, he would never sell me it. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27932
    grungebob said:

My first two “proper” guitars I bought where a 78 Washburn falcon and a 83 westone prestige 250. 

I remember the Washburn "wing" series too @grungebob - never had one, but always fancied one. 

The DC shape is still my favourite even today.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    TTony said:
    grungebob said:

I remember the Washburn "wing" series too @grungebob - never had one, but always fancied one. 

The DC shape is still my favourite even today.
    They weighed a metric tonne Tony, well at least my rosewood one did. All that brass too. 
    Sustain for days though. 

DC all the way. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    The rock and roll star blue is the guitar I have always wanted to own. And never will :(
    You are Noel Gallagher and I claim my five Guineas.  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    KevS said:
    The Body looks similar to my Westbury Standard too..Great guitar,but I Dwarf it...
    grungebob said:
    These look cool as. 

The dude who used to run my areas only guitar shop (RIP Pete) used to play some Aquarius strat style guitar, he would never sell me it. 
    at the time factories in Japan like Matsumoku made for many guitar companies - strange as it seems this guitar company was  a subsidiary of Singer - Remember them, the sewing machine company
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    TTony said:
    Kawai.  Probably the best... MiJ guitars from the 70s & 80s that almost nobody has ever heard of
    :D

Yeah we have heard of them.  Mostly because of you. ;)

Although I do remember entering a prize draw to win one of these.  I wonder if the winner still has it?

KAWAI Moonsault
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    edited April 2020
    KevS said:
    grungebob said:
    These look cool as. 

at the time factories in Japan like Matsumoku made for many guitar companies - strange as it seems this guitar company was  a subsidiary of Singer - Remember them, the sewing machine company
    Yep, I've got a Mats singer sewing machine box/case/mount thing in the loft, as far as I remember they only made the machine's furniture, not the machines themselves. 
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:
    Kawai.  Probably the best... MiJ guitars from the 70s & 80s that almost nobody has ever heard of

Although I do remember entering a prize draw to win one of these.  I wonder if the winner still has it?

KAWAI Moonsault
    Ahhhhh ... the Moonsault.

I've actually got one of those (OK, no big surprise) but it's not here, so I couldn't include it in the pics.    Fetching it probably wouldn't quite count as "essential" travel.

Absolutely mad thing, and just about impossible to play sitting down.  

Everyone remembers it though!
  • FezFez Frets: 540
    I like those KS ones and as @guitars4you says they are very like the Washburn Hawks which I really liked but never owned one.
    Don't touch that dial.
    TTony said:
    Ahhhh ... the Moonsault.

I've actually got one of those (OK, no big surprise) but it's not here, so I couldn't include it in the pics.    Fetching it probably wouldn't quite count as "essential" travel.

Absolutely mad thing, and just about impossible to play sitting down.  

Everyone remembers it though!
    It's a crazy design but I really do like the look.  And I still think the phases of the moon inlays are great.
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    KevS said:
    grungebob said:
    These look cool as. 

Yep, I've got a Mats singer sewing machine box/case/mount thing in the loft, as far as I remember they only made the machine's furniture, not the machines themselves. 
    I think you are right in that they were a wood work company - My error for implying otherwise
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:

KAWAI Moonsault
    I bet you are glad you didn't win ??????????????????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    https://www.hounddogmusic.co.uk/electric-guitars/

There's a later model Aquarius up here in Whitley Bay, he also has a moonsault hanging in the window as a display piece sun bleached to buggery. 
    Philly_Q said:
    TTony said:

I bet you are glad you didn't win ??????????????????
    No, at the time I desperately wanted to win it!

It was in either Kerrang! or its short-lived Guitar Heroes spin-off magazine, and there was a picture of Paul Samson with the guitar.  I don't know if he actually owned it...

Ah, here we go!  Isn't the internet an amazing thing?

Mynd fr Paul Samson Archive
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

So’s your memory!!

Sarge said:

There's a later model Aquarius up here in Whitley Bay, he also has a moonsault hanging in the window as a display piece sun bleached to buggery. 
    The Aquarius (I’ve a couple of those too) wasn’t up to the same quality as the KS & F ranges.  But that’s a fair price for one in good condition.  Almost tempting!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

So’s your memory!!

Sarge said:

The Aquarius (I’ve a couple of those too) wasn’t up to the same quality as the KS & F ranges.  But that’s a fair price for one in good condition.  Almost tempting!!

Don't know if you remember this one of mine a few years back,  good solid guitar but the 7.25 radius was a no go for me. 

Yes, I remember that @Sarge.  Lovely colour.  I’ve got one of the 3 HB models - but it’s a battered old thing.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    My first guitar (which I still have) was a Kawai S170 which may build somewhere between 1963 and 1967. The neck is like a baseball bat and the frets are the height of a gnat's nadger, but it sounds great!

I had an AQ250 a while back which I bought for £45 at a car boot sale. It was a pretty good guitar actually, and I kinda regret selling it. I seem to remember it being very versatile, with a nice-sounding coil split.

Incidentally, Robin Guthrie used a KS11XL in the early days of the Cocteau Twins.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • My first guitar was an Aquarius and now I have another in exactly the same colour and model. Jon @FelineGuitars  did a fret dress and setup for me last year and it’s very slinky to play now.