Fender Mustang GT40 - Born Again?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    So what was bad about it before and what's right with it now?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 681
    ...it took them three attempts to get the software right...and then they discontinued it?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    ...it took them three attempts to get the software right...and then they discontinued it?
    Yeah that's mad. I'm pretty curious about these not gonna lie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader

If it's still firmware compatible I'm assuming it's the same amp in a different cab probably to get around the negative press association.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3421
    edited May 2020
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2242
    edited May 2020
    I think the biggest issue was a misunderstanding of its purpose. They gave it 40watts, so people assumed this could therefore be gigged..... no. If they gave it 10w people would have realised it's a practice amp. 

It has a closed back, 2x 6.5" speakers and a bass port at the rear. To sound good it needs to be off the floor and no further than a few inches from a wall to deflect the low end back at you. Obviously in a gig setting that's not possible. 

Lastly the firmware has been updated and is now decent. People complained they sounds like they had a blanket over them before. That's not the case now. 

*EDIT: one other thing. People who don't know what the guitar volume knob is for. You need to use it on this amp. I high majority of these amps would have been bought by beginners/people  with little understanding of how to use an amp. 

The amp has been discontinued, but the internals (computer) and software are identical to the new GTX series, so to will continue to get software support for some time yet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Mine was supposed to have arrived on Thursday but I've just got an update from Parcelforce to say it's coming on Tuesday.

To add... I'm one of those people with little understanding of how to use an amp! Happy to be enlightened
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited May 2020
    Mine arrived yesterday  - so far, so good, but haven't had huge amount of time to tweak yet - the options and range of sounds available are colossal.
    I quickly A/B'd a couple of models with my Vox Adio and the GT sounds....'bigger' and a little less like a recording or hifi version of a guitar. 
    Hard to explain really, but I think once I start tailoring the presets it'll be a winner, as it truly has thousands of possible tones if you want to invest the time.
    I initially felt the Vox still sounded a bit more convincing on, say, an Orange model, but after some adjustments to the settings I got the GT to equal the Vox's tone, with the bonus of a bit more space, or presence, giving it the edge.  Vox seems to have better stereo separation effect though.  I'll have to experiment some more, but the range of cabinet options on the GT is huge and makes an enormous difference to what you can achieve.
    The app works a treat and is a doddle to use.
    There's a video on YouTube which I need to study, based on tips to improve the sound of your GT40 and I remember he said to change the global  EQ (I picked guitar focus 1 of the options) as it ships with 'flat' as the default, which is more suited for mp3 playback etc.....this had improved everything already.
    I think he also said all the presets have a noise gate on by default, too, which is best turned off and only added when required.  I haven't investigated this yet but if that's still the case (it's an old video, pre firmware update) it should provide further benefits.
    Look forward to playing with this some more - pretty incredible feature set for the price of a decent pedal!
    Mine shipped from DV247, who forgot to give me a UK power lead, but otherwise no complaints thus far.

Can you stream music via Bluetooth and play guitar at the same time?
    roberty said:
    Yes
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    Tempted by something like this. I've got a Blues Deluxe which never gets used at home, and I use a Joyo American Sound for recording. However recently been watching Low Friday evening IG live sessions, with Alan Sparhawk pushing an AC15 hard. I'd forgotten how good an overdriven small amp sounds. An AC15 would be too loud for my home setting - could I emulate that overdriven small amp vibe with something like this??? Hmmm....
    ewal said:
    Tempted by something like this. I've got a Blues Deluxe which never gets used at home, and I use a Joyo American Sound for recording. However recently been watching Low Friday evening IG live sessions, with Alan Sparhawk pushing an AC15 hard. I'd forgotten how good an overdriven small amp sounds. An AC15 would be too loud for my home setting - could I emulate that overdriven small amp vibe with something like this??? Hmmm....
    I've never got a sound I like out of a traditional amp at home volumes. Ends up being both me and the neighbours who are not happy, a compromise where no one wins
    edited May 2020
    Mine arrived yesterday  - so far, so good, but haven't had huge amount of time to tweak yet - the options and range of sounds available are colossal.
    I quickly A/B'd a couple of models with my Vox Adio and the GT sounds....'bigger' and a little less like a recording or hifi version of a guitar. 
    Hard to explain really, but I think once I start tailoring the presets it'll be a winner, as it truly has thousands of possible tones if you want to invest the time.
    I initially felt the Vox still sounded a bit more convincing on, say, an Orange model, but after some adjustments to the settings I got the GT to equal the Vox's tone, with the bonus of a bit more space, or presence, giving it the edge.  Vox seems to have better stereo separation effect though.  I'll have to experiment some more, but the range of cabinet options on the GT is huge and makes an enormous difference to what you can achieve.
    The app works a treat and is a doddle to use.
    There's a video on YouTube which I need to study, based on tips to improve the sound of your GT40 and I remember he said to change the global  EQ (I picked guitar focus 1 of the options) as it ships with 'flat' as the default, which is more suited for mp3 playback etc.....this had improved everything already.
    I think he also said all the presets have a noise gate on by default, too, which is best turned off and only added when required.  I haven't investigated this yet but if that's still the case (it's an old video, pre firmware update) it should provide further benefits.
    Look forward to playing with this some more - pretty incredible feature set for the price of a decent pedal!
    Mine shipped from DV247, who forgot to give me a UK power lead, but otherwise no complaints thus far.

Yes noise gates are on for some amps by default, mostly the higher gain amps. 

When your on the amp in the app, tap settings. In there you'll be able to turn it off. You can also adjust Sag to get a more squishy tube sound and Bias to get a warmer or colder tube sound. 

Guitar volume is key on this amp I've found. Some of the higher gain amp wont clean up that much by just adjusting the gain on the amp and if your guitar volume is maxed out it can become too saturated.

Glad you're liking it! For £45 you can get the foot switch which give you an on the floor tuner, opens up the looper and obviously engage effects and switch between presets. 
    NelsonP said:
    roberty said:
    Yes
    Have to say I'm quite tempted, despite already owning a THR10. I could keep the Yamaha in the front room by the stereo and then have the Fender in the bedroom/office and use it for music too. The Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity are the selling points. I can do all the same things anyway with the Yamaha via usb cable and minijack -> minijack which is why I hesitate
    roberty said:
    NelsonP said:
    roberty said:
    Yes
    Have to say I'm quite tempted, despite already owning a THR10. I could keep the Yamaha in the front room by the stereo and then have the Fender in the bedroom/office and use it for music too. The Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity are the selling points. I can do all the same things anyway with the Yamaha via usb cable and minijack -> minijack which is why I hesitate
    I've done exactly this. My THR is in the living room. The GT40 has so much more to offer, it's well worth the £170.
    @barnezy Fender should be paying you commission!
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    I have to agree - I owned each and every one of the THR amps, plus the Vox Adio, but in terms of features this one leaves them all standing. 
    The Vox has now been moved upstairs and I'm investigating everything this little Fender has to offer. Already discovered the sag and bias settings etc., everything is so accessible to tweaks.
    May now get the footswitch too, but only really for the looper.  Everything else is so easy on the app itself....and when you dial it in, there are some really good tones on offer.
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 306
    Very tempted to get one of these to replace an ancient Spider Jam 75W. 
    I like the features on the Line 6 - looper, drum beats, tuner etc. all in one package and controlled by footswitch, but can never get the sound right.
    Anyone care to convince me that I should/shouldn't?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
     Not sure what I’m missing here... mine turned up yesterday, and I’m completely underwhelmed. The cleans are ok, but anything even remotely overdriven sounds like a can full of wasps. 

I would probably spend a bit of time trying to tinker, but the jack input connector is bent so it’s going back anyway. 

Think I’ll stick with Helix Native and S-Gear.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
     Not sure what I’m missing here... mine turned up yesterday, and I’m completely underwhelmed. The cleans are ok, but anything even remotely overdriven sounds like a can full of wasps. 

I would probably spend a bit of time trying to tinker, but the jack input connector is bent so it’s going back anyway. 

Think I’ll stick with Helix Native and S-Gear.
    Did you change the global eq from 'music' to 'guitar'?