Suggest upgrades for my LP studio

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5161
I have a black 2000 studio and I was wondering what sort of upgrades people might suggest. Currently have a zombiedust custom in the bridge. The neck is probably stock but is a little under  powered. I was thinking of maybe goung for a jb in the bridge  and 
Possibly a p90 for the neck. Any ideas?
Tuners are grovers and they seem decent. 
The finish has been scoured so will need work. Any ideas or suggestions for that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1127
    edited April 2020
    What tuning is it in an what styles do you play?

I have a 2010 LP studio, I whacked a BKP Aftermath in the bridge and it sounds great for drop c and b. I also changed the nut to an Earvana and the tailpiece to a Gotoh aluminium one, much more sustain. Then stupidly I changed the Aftermath out and put a BKP ceramic Nailbomb in, thinking it'd be better. Ran with it for about 5 years before putting an Aftermath back in after weeks of considering other pickups. Tone pot was disconnected too when the Nailbomb went in which made it too shrill and fizzy. It was since reconnected.

I'll wanna upgrade the neck pickup at some point but not rushing as I don't use it a lot anyway.
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    A Kahler.

Don't hit me, don't hit me. Not the face, not the face. Aaaarrrggghhhhh !!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 740
    edited April 2020
    I've recently been making some updates to my 1994 Studio. Added a pair of BKP Riff Raffs (great sound, especially for someone like me who ventures from bluesy cleans to grindcore in single playing sessions) and also Hipshot locking tuners, with a String Butler added. When the Coronavirus catastrophe abates I'm probably going to get it refretted with stainless steel jumbos and I might possibly get a new nut fitted too.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Trade it for a Strat  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    I'd be tempted to go for EMGs.  
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    How do the Seymour Duncan JB pickups suit these?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11755
    tFB Trader
    Earvana nut
    Lightweight aluminium tailpiece with locking tail studs 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• prowla said:
    I have a pair in my 90's studio and they are superb.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2955
    My favourite pickups in my Les Paul were Bare Knuckle Black Dogs. They're not crazy output but enough and I found them great for everything. Had more character than lower output PAF style pickups which I can find a bit bland. For a bit lower price the Oil City Airship Trooper seems to be aiming for a similar kinda feel - I've already planned for a pair when I get a Les Paul again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 542
    Sperzal locking machine heads. Bare Knuckle crawler or Holy Diver pick ups. Not sure I would mess with the Bridge but if I did I might go for a tone pros.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5004
    I was impressed with the difference a Faber aluminium tailpiece made, even the Faber tailpiece studs seemed to make a slight difference as I added them later. I added an ABR1 too but I had an issue with the B string sitar'ing and I needed some other work doing so it's gone to Feline for a whole new wiring harness and pickups plus an Earvana nut, can't wait to get it back now and see how it sounds. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9602
    Fuengi said:
    Trade it for a Strat  ;)
    Beat me to it virtually but I was going to suggest a PRS singlecut if the op wants that style of guitar
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Earvana nut
    Lightweight aluminium tailpiece with locking tail studs 
    Sounds familiar ;) plus a tonepros bridge. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    I had a 2013 Studio that had EMG 81 and 60 pickups. That guitar sounded fecking huge, so I'm recommending them
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Earvana nut.  I am considering getting one for my Epi LP.  A retro fit Earvana nut made an amazing difference - a big improvement - to a Squier Tele I had up to recently.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    I had an earvana on my Les Paul but went back to just a normal Tusq because it was digging into my hand when playing certain chords. It definitely does something because when the guitar was intonated the saddles were in perfect lines. You have to adjust your playing to not compensate for wonky intonation, at least that's what it felt like

The same guitar came with an aftermarket tonepros locking bridge which I think made it sound a bit percussive and harsh until I took the grub screws out. When the screws are in it doesn't rest on the thumbwheels at all

It massively depends what sound you're after but I really rate Oil City Nightfighters. Very sweet and musical with enough muscle to play through high gain. They split extremely well too

Maybe you could go a new harness with coil splits? 50s wiring is pretty cool and an easy mod to do on its own
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    prowla said:

Thanks!

I've got the bridge one in a couple of Strats and I quite like them.

I've also got a Studio and an unused bridge/neck pair which I've been wondering about fitting...

Plus a Freeway switch...
  • prowla said:
    prowla said:

Thanks!

I've got the bridge one in a couple of Strats and I quite like them.

I've also got a Studio and an unused bridge/neck pair which I've been wondering about fitting...

Plus a Freeway switch...
    Got one in my Strat too and love it. I play that in standard tuning though so not sure how it would react in drop tunings.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Reverend said:
    I have a black 2000 studio and I was wondering what sort of upgrades people might suggest. Currently have a zombiedust custom in the bridge. The neck is probably stock but is a little under  powered. I was thinking of maybe goung for a jb in the bridge  and 
    Possibly a p90 for the neck. Any ideas?
    Tuners are grovers and they seem decent. 
    The finish has been scoured so will need work. Any ideas or suggestions for that?
    I don't know what kind of metal you plan to play with it or what tuning but I've got Alegree HB sized P90's in my Tele Deluxe which I keep in C standard and I use to play doom and the P90 at the bridge in particular is a delight fuzzed out.

So I'd recommend one of those in addition to an HB if you're looking for something along those lines.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5161
    Ive been playing doomy stuff foe about 30 years. Usually down a couple of steps. No fuzz, mostly light drives into a jmp 2203.