The butcher strikes again.

What's Hot

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1104
    I love how he has now changed  the company's name to Phillips cleartone "special" guitar conversions.... Certainly is more apt! 
    Special kinda sums up everything about this guys "mods"...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    The part that mystifies me is that our hero is not working on commissioned instrument conversions. It is all speculative, in hopes of finding buyers via t’Interweb.  
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16289
    Did you watch the video? You’ve GOT to watch the video. 
    He’s actually a decent player. 
    Yes , but he needs to work on the old vocals a bit !
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    Having cornered the sausage-fingered market, he’s diversifying to cash in on the chipolata fingered.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    octatonic said:
    I can't help but like him. 
    Would you buy one of his instruments?
    I'd rather eat my own head. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I'm way less appalled by this than I am with certain spikey guitars.

It's cheap too, I wonder if the e strings slip off the edges.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33962
    octatonic said:
    I can't help but like him. 
    Would you buy one of his instruments?
    I'd rather eat my own head. 
    LOL- there we go. :)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    If it's for your thumb then why has he done both sides of the neck?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    DefaultM said:
    Incase you have two or more thumbs.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    On the other hand, £173 is a very reasonable asking price. I'm sure he'd be flexible on the price. :o
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10405
    Philtre said:
    On the other hand, £173 is a very reasonable asking price. I'm sure he'd be flexible on the price. :o
    Not as flexible as your fingers would need to be. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    I do wonder if there’s an element of the “infinite number of monkeys” going on with Mr Phillips in as much as, if he’s left to keep trying this stuff for long enough will he eventually stumble across something brilliant ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6239
    Strangely, and don't larf, I think he might actually have the genesis of a good idea here, albeit badly executed. I have never used the thumb over the fretboard technique in all my 40+ years of playing. I have tried quite a few times in the past decade to use this method but my left thumb is having none of it. His concept, if properly  done 'could' possibly make it easier for me to use the technique.

Stop tittering at the back there! :grin: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7896
    DrBob said:
    I do wonder if there’s an element of the “infinite number of monkeys” going on with Mr Phillips in as much as, if he’s left to keep trying this stuff for long enough will he eventually stumble across something brilliant ?
    Yes

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11425
    prlgmnr said:
    DefaultM said:
    Incase you have two or more thumbs.
    On the same hand? That's a new step in evolution.

I'm not much of a thumb-over-neck player (fingers are too short) but surely you wouldn't be able to slide your hand along the neck with any degree if comfort if it kept on having to negotiate the guitar equivalent of the Himalayas. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11131
    tFB Trader
    I would imagine it makes playing a limited number of things easier in just one position at a time, As @scrumhalf ;half says, the problem will come when one tries to change position. 'Thumb-over' is the cornerstone of my own rhythm playing, and having to straighten my thumb to shift position would slow me down to a crawl.  You also  wouldn't be able to slide your thumb up maintaining pressure or damping ... lots of thumb over players do this. So all in all an ugly solution to a problem that doesn't exist. All that you really need to be super comfortable thumb-over are rolled fingerboard edges. I'm wondering how many folks there are about with minuscule thumbs and sausage fingers ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12510
    I can’t help thinking this all stemmed from him accidentally digging a great big gouge out of the neck, and then wondering how to still sell it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4692
    Genius and madness are so closely related and this chap may well be a genius 

or he is mental 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 260
    That video shows him with a 12-string he's converted to 6 - that's listed on Reverb.

I can't help but think that makes some sort of sense. 

What else has he done of note besides the main subject of this thread?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    That video shows him with a 12-string he's converted to 6 - that's listed on Reverb.

I can't help but think that makes some sort of sense. 

What else has he done of note besides the main subject of this thread?
    His speciality is converting cheap seven-string electrics into wide-necked six-strings, with associated bodgery of the bridge, nut and sometimes machinehead holes (or one is just left empty). He also has a strange habit of replacing the neck humbucker with a cheap Tele bridge pickup. His workmanship is somewhat basic.

He seems to have a lot of positive feedback on Ebay, which is perhaps not that surprising since he does describe and photograph the results quite well, so you're not going to be under any illusions as to what you're getting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein