Thoughts on cheap Tele pickups

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 62
edited May 2020 in Guitar
So I've a mim Tele with piledriver pups from 2004 any recommendations on a cheap vintage / classic Tele pups set? 

The middle position on the piledrivers don't sound much different from the neck and I've got 500k pots in there too.

Really really gassing for a strat to get the low output fix but the Covid work situation is putting that on the back burner
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Have a look at Axes R Us their pickups are good sounding and cheap.
  • 545454545454 Frets: 185
    For a cheapy bridge pickup, the Wilkinson broadcaster (WVOB) is excellent.

I've had the Tonerider Vintage Plus in the past which were great for a lower output option (although I found the bridge one a wee bit too bright).
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    Are they what Tele's give birth to?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    Don’t know how the mim teles are routed, but if there’s a middle pickup space, go Nashville and get a bit of the strat vibe at the same time. I’d second Wilkinson’s for cheap and still perfectly useable. Also check out @Alegree, he has just launched a cheaper line that’d definitely be worth a look.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1704
    Irongear are good but cheap.  I've got one of their Steel Foundry Tele bridge pickups.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Don’t know how the mim teles are routed, but if there’s a middle pickup space, go Nashville and get a bit of the strat vibe at the same time. I’d second Wilkinson’s for cheap and still perfectly useable. Also check out @Alegree, he has just launched a cheaper line that’d definitely be worth a look.
    Just had a look, £33 quid for an alnico vintage tele set, would buy those.  If the wiring is cheap on the old MIM I'd get a pre wired harness as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Ooohh yeah Nashville is the way to go alright, have to take this yoke apart now.

In the meantime I've messed about with pup heights and it's made a difference but I like the idea of getting the 2/4 positions 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    For several years, the MIM Standard Telecaster has been routed with an oversized rectangular pickup cavity in the neck/Rhythm position. This will accept any humbucker, P90 or Filter’Tron clone without modification. A Firebird pickup would have to be suspended through the pickguard. There is no wood into which its surround could be screwed.

… if there’s a middle pickup space, go Nashville and get a bit of the strat vibe at the same time.
    A bit of the Strat vibe is all that you are likely to get. Certainly, no more than the Dan Armstrong / Jerry Donahue half-out-of-phase trick.

Zonular said:
    The middle position on the Piledrivers don't sound much different from the neck and I've got 500k pots in there too.
    The BKP audio demonstration bears this
    out. 

The obvious solution would be to trade the Piledriver pair for another BKP pair of equivalent value. 

One way to some Stratty tones would be one of the taller than standard neck position T pickups. Fender calls theirs the Twisted Tele. Oil City has The Californian. Alegree, Creamery and Mojo offer similar designs but I do not know the names they give their models.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    edited May 2020
    Having gigged a Nashville tele for years, the 2, 3, 4 positions were as much of a strat that I needed, but there again, that’s where you’ll find me when I pick up my strat. It’s horses for courses, we’ve all got different tastes. 
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Toneriders? Played a mate's Mexi Tele fitted with the Vintage Plus set, sounded pretty bloody good to me.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    I’ve just put mojo broadcaster in one of mine and it sounds fantastic - not the cheapest but I can imagine finding better.   
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited May 2020
    Toneriders are pretty decent (I had them in a Squier CV Tele), but for my money I'd go for some IronGear pickups. If you want to retain some (switchable) power go for the Steel Twin bridge (it's a tapped single coil), with something with lower power in the neck, or maybe a Strat pickup in the neck. Personally, I find the Bill Lawrence/ Jerry Donahue half out of phase trick to be quite useful - there is no routing required, and for the cost of a 10nF cap and a DPDT switch it's got to be worth trying.
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I have a Tonerider Hot Classic in the bridge position. Love it. 
    The hot classics look great but by and large the ton riders look rare as hens teeth
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    John_P said:
    I’ve just put mojo broadcaster in one of mine and it sounds fantastic - not the cheapest but I can imagine finding better.   
    Mojo is great for vintage fender sounds. 
    If you are feeling adventurous and want to try something hotter the harmonic design stuff is outstanding. Especially for teles
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Save up and get a set of these:

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/59-telecaster/

I have them in all my teles (inc a ‘61, original pups long gone)... got through loads of tele pups over the years and these are by far the best sounding tele set out there... bar none!...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    As a pickup winder ... someone who spends all my working days surrounded by wire and magnets, flatwork and bobbins ... for the love of god please don't call them 'pups' o ... 'pups' are a contraction of puppies ... that is: baby dogs. Likewise I'm all for stringing up people who call Les Pauls 'Lesters' or BMWs 'Beamers' ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    How do you feel about the term doggos?

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    Zonular said:
    How do you feel about the term doggos?

Lol ... easy to confuse with dogging ... which somewhat out of the spirit of social distancing :-)

Oh and the best 'for cheap' tele sets are Tonerider in my opinion as a pro pickup winder ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    As a pickup winder ... someone who spends all my working days surrounded by wire and magnets, flatwork and bobbins ... for the love of god please don't call them 'pups' o ... 'pups' are a contraction of puppies ... that is: baby dogs. Likewise I'm all for stringing up people who call Les Pauls 'Lesters' or BMWs 'Beamers' ... 
    I was just saying the same thing about pups to a mate the other day as I was loading my lester into the back of the beemer!...

and contrary to what I said above, get one of ash’s liquidator tele sets you won’t go wrong with those!... had the bridge in a snakehead I sold!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom