OTWAY THE MOVIE

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Otway’s also been doing live feeds on Facebook every week. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    prowla said:
    I saw Otway & Barrett way back; Otway jumped off a speaker and landed on his head. 
    I knew him at school.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    ellangus said:
    Treat yourself - it's free and it's great!

http://www.johnotway.com/movie2.html

Enjoy
    Thanks for sharing.... that’s tonight’s viewing sorted.  =)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    edited January 2021
    Just bumping this as I caught it on TV last night. An excellent watch, and what a nutter! (in the best possible way).
    The whole film is a total delight, and you have to take your hat off to his fan base, the story of trying to get a 50th birthday hit is great! 

John Otway has gone right up in my estimation. A lesson in how to live your life!

Oh yes, and great album title after splitting from Wild Willy Barrett - All balls and no Willy
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Like other fans I've seen John many times, usually with another act on the bill and he always steals the show.

I first saw him back in the 70's during the punk days.  There was an anarchic period where the line up was advisory...  I once went to a gig in Doncaster, it said on the ticket Clayson and the Argonauts supported by the Sid Presley Experience.  Now I don't know if my mate had got the dates wrong or what, but we got in only to discover that it was Alvin Lee supported by John, then with Wild Willy Barrett.

They were, of course, a scream and it was difficult to take the earnest blues of Alvin Lee seriously after that.  The gigs with Wliko Johnson were a much better fit, in fact I'd say Wilko is the only person who could go on after John Otway..

• Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed that. I remember Otway’s arrival on the scene and the first single - Free and Flowers :-) I even bought Geneva in release and rather liked it! Saw him and some band or other live ten or fifteen years ago and it was a real hoot. :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    edited January 2021
    Neill said:
    Like other fans I've seen John many times, usually with another act on the bill and he always steals the show.

I first saw him back in the 70's during the punk days.  There was an anarchic period where the line up was advisory...  I once went to a gig in Doncaster, it said on the ticket Clayson and the Argonauts supported by the Sid Presley Experience.  Now I don't know if my mate had got the dates wrong or what, but we got in only to discover that it was Alvin Lee supported by John, then with Wild Willy Barrett.

They were, of course, a scream and it was difficult to take the earnest blues of Alvin Lee seriously after that.  The gigs with Wliko Johnson were a much better fit, in fact I'd say Wilko is the only person who could go on after John Otway..

Otway and Wilko did a tour with The Hamsters once called the Mad, Bad and Dangerous. It was a great evening’s entertainment and it ended up with all of them onstage doing Otway’s disco hit Bunsen Burner, which was bloody hilarious. They also covered Hit me with your rhythm stick, Norman Watt Roy being Wilko’s bassist of course. As Slim from the Hamsters said “Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you John Otway. A man of who it’s often said, I can’t believe it’s not better”. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited January 2021
    boogieman said:
    Neill said:

Otway and Wilko did a tour with The Hamsters once called the Mad, Bad and Dangerous. It was a great evening’s entertainment and it ended up with all of them onstage doing Otway’s disco hit Bunsen Burner, which was bloody hilarious. They also covered Hit me with your rhythm stick, Norman Watt Roy being Wilko’s bassist of course. As Slim from the Hamsters said “Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you John Otway. A man of who it’s often said, I can’t believe it’s not better”. 
    Yes I saw that as well, probably the best value for money gig I've ever been to.   

if I remember correctly John Otway got his own back by reminding everyone that whereas he and Wilko had several hit records between them, Slim Hamster hadn't actually had any...

And of course Norman Watt Roy had been at number one! (with Ian Dury)

John had another guitarist with him at the time - can't remember who it was though..?
    That was Richard Holgarth. He plays with Eddie and the Hot Rods as well, that’s why they played Do anything you wanna Do on that tour as well, with Otway on vocals. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Yep, saw that tour as well, top night out.

Seen Otway many times and always makes me happy.  He has so many wonderful promotional ideas.  There was a 13 date London tour.   At the first gig you collected a postcard and got it stamped.  If you got all 13 stamps he took you out for a curry!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    He must be the most genuine one-off in music!
    He’s a rather strange guy, for all that he’s always charming to talk to. I can never figure out whether he honestly thinks he’s a great musician (he does write some good songs admittedly) and deserves the world tours, the gigs at the Albert Hall, recording in George Martin’s old studio in Montserrat, the Top 10 hits etc or whether he’s just very good at manipulating people with his childlike charm. 

I’ve certainly never come across a group of fans that are quite so dedicated to pleasing their hero... it’s like the Cult of Otway. I’m friends with a couple who used to run his merch stand at his gigs for years, they must’ve spent a small fortune in fuel costs but never got any recompense (and rarely any thanks from what I’ve been told, rather sadly), they just did it because they adored Otway. 
  • I'm looking forward to meeting him as he's had a gig arranged at my workplace for ruddy ages now and we've had to cancel at least twice due to Covid. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    I saw Otway & Barrett back when Really Free was out.
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed that. I remember Otway’s arrival on the scene and the first single - Free and Flowers :-) I even bought Geneva in release and rather liked it! Saw him and some band or other live ten or fifteen years ago and it was a real hoot. :-)
    I love Geneva - I think it's a great song

Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.