What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 73174
I have just passed a milestone in my iTunes library… 30,000 songs. 30,001 to be exact! Not that I'm aiming for quantity over quality, just that's what the total comes to now. 127.08GB (almost all are at 128kbps) and 85.8 days of continuous music.

3310 albums - this includes singles, since iTunes recognises those as albums too - in these genres (I stick to only Gracenote top-level genres as a concession to even doing this at all)… if anyone's interested. I was! And slightly surprised by some of the totals.

Alternative & Punk - 769
Blues - 54
Classical - 428
Country - 88
Easy Listening - 24
Electronica/Dance - 285
Folk - 69
Gospel & Religious - 9
Hip Hop/Rap - 26
Jazz - 81
Latin - 41
Metal - 17
Pop - 532
R&B - 87
Reggae - 20
Rock - 697
Soundtrack - 92
Unclassifiable - 6
World - 37

I have no idea what that says about me really!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Out of curiosity, what is in the "unclassifiable"?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28088
    I'll go do a count later.  But not all of my music is in my iTunes library.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73174
    Megii said:
    Out of curiosity, what is in the "unclassifiable"?
    Ha, I knew someone was going to ask that!

Andrew Bird - Opposite Day (Reprise) from Back To Mine Vol 24
    Martin Archer - Ghost Lily Cascade and Pure Water Construction
    L. Pierre - The Island Come True
    Bobby 'Boris' Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers - Monster Mash
    Philip Mead & Rob Godman - Piano And Electronics

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    If you had any Jacques Loussier, would he be filed under Baroque, or Jazz? I always have this difficulty in classifying genres of music. That Davy Spillane album with the mix of Irish, Calypso, Country, Rock'n'Roll and other stuff -what would you file that under? 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited June 2014
    If you had any Jacques Loussier, would he be filed under Baroque, or Jazz? I always have this difficulty in classifying genres of music.
    Same here sometimes. For me that would be Classical or Jazz, since I resisted going to the next level of sub-genres.

I'm not familiar with him but you could probably ask the same question about Gershwin. Sometimes I do it piece by piece, sometimes by the whole artist's output, whichever seems to make the most sense.

I dislike the whole "genre-isation" of music, and up until iTunes 11 I always deleted all the genre tags. But with 11, you cannot delete the genre window itself and so I had to decide which of my two OCDs was worse :D.

That Davy Spillane album with the mix of Irish, Calypso, Country, Rock'n'Roll and other stuff -what would you file that under? 
    Don't know… whichever it was "most" of. Or Alternative & Punk :).

A&P seems to get used a lot as an "anti-genre" genre, which I quite like. I once bought a Beethoven CD which came up in iTunes as A&P, which I suspect might have amused Ludwig.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    My library is at 40,751. I can't remember the sat time I listened to 40,000 of the songs though!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    My collection is tiny in comparison at 13,334 although that's just my generic music folder which excludes the 100+ classical CDs that I have.

The best thig with a collection of that size is to add them ALL to a random playlist and see if you can work out who the track is by.
    I'm desperate for Apple to increase the Match limit as it's almost impossible to force it to Match the 25,000 songs I want it to match. I've tried all the potential workarounds and it takes ages and never works properly.
    vasselmeyer said:

The best thig with a collection of that size is to add them ALL to a random playlist and see if you can work out who the track is by.
    That's how I listen to it, often - just set 'shuffle' on the whole library. I quite often get things I don't recognise straight away, and sometimes things I don't like! So then tend to listen to them on purpose, and if I still don't like it, it can go. That's relatively rare though - more usually it's something I acquired a while ago but never listened to properly, and which is good.

• vizviz Frets: 10781
    I often have all of Rachmaninov's 870 pieces on shuffle and found it pretty difficult to identify them all at first, even though I thought I knew his music inside out. It's amazing when you get thrown a piece at random without knowing what comes before, how hard it is to pinpoint.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    ICBM said:
    vasselmeyer said:

That's how I listen to it, often - just set 'shuffle' on the whole library. I quite often get things I don't recognise straight away, and sometimes things I don't like! So then tend to listen to them on purpose, and if I still don't like it, it can go. That's relatively rare though - more usually it's something I acquired a while ago but never listened to properly, and which is good.
    Yeah, this normally happens to me when I'm driving and it bugs the hell out of me. I've heard some songs where I still don't know who iy was!
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    Not enough Country ! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not enough Country ! ;)
    I suspect what I do have might not meet with your approval either, perhaps apart from some Johnny Cash and a Chet Atkins album... there's not a lot (any?) of that Telecaster-torturing type :).

Not a fan of mr pop atkins, what country stuff do you have? And you would be surprised at the country music I play in my Radio show !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    OK… I'll try to list it! Bear in mind that a couple of these 'albums' are singles, because that's how iTunes sorts them.

Adrienne Young - Room To Grow
    Anne Kirkpatrick - Cradle Of Love
    Basia Bulat - Oh My Darling
    Brooke Fraser - Albertine
    The Byrds - Nashville West
    Calexico - Alone Again Or, The Black Light, Carried To Dust, Feast Of Wire, Garden Ruin, Hot Rail, In The Reins, Live At The China Theatre
    The Carter Family - Best Of
    Charley Pride - 16 Top Tracks
    Chet Atkins - Neck & Neck (with Mark Knopfler), Pickin' On Country
    Dolly Parton - Very Best Of
    Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt & Dolly Parton - Trio II
    The Flying Burrito Brothers - Flying Burrito Brothers, Sleepless Nights
    Gillian Welch - Revival
    Grand Drive - See The Morning In
    Hank Williams - Hank Williams
    Holly Figueroa - Gifts And Burdens
    Homecoming String Band - EP
    Iron & Wine - Live Bonnaroo, Our Endless Numbered Days, The Shepherd's Dog
    kd Lang - Absolute Torch & Twang, Shadowland
    Johnny Cash - American Recordings I - VI (set), I Walk The Line, The Legend Of Johnny Cash, The Real Johnny Cash (early albums set)
    Laura Cantrell - Hello Recordings, Humming By The Flowered Vine, Kitty Wells Dresses, Not The Tremblin' Kind, Peel Sessions, Trains & Boats & Planes, When The Roses Bloom Again
    Kate Maki - The Sun Will Find Us
    Lissie - Catching A Tiger
    Little Pink - Gladly Would We Anchor
    Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road, Essence, Little Honey, Sweet Old World, West
    Mary Chapin Carpenter - Stones In The Road
    Mindy Smith - One Moment More
    Nancy Griffith - Blue Roses From The Moons, Intersection, Other Voices Other Rooms, Poet In My Window
    Notting Hillbillies - Missing Presumed Having A Good Time
    The Stairwell Sisters - Get Off Your Money, Stairwell Sisters
    Star Wheel Press - Life Cycle Of A Falling Bird
    The Waifs - Live At Kate Wolf, Shelter Me, Sink Or Swim, Sun Dirt Water, Up All Night

Absolutely Bluegrass (Various Artists)
    Bluegrass Festival (Various Artists)
    Mountain Breakdown (Various Artists)
    Rough Guide To Bluegrass (Various Artists)
    Merle Travis - Cannonball Stomp; Chet Atkins - Chinatown My Chinatown; Doc Watson - Deep River Blues (all from 100 Greatest Guitarists)

plus a few random Laura Cantrell tracks I haven't listed individually.

Disclaimer: I don't really like the Chet & Mark album and I would probably have got rid of it except that my wife likes it!

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Not enough Country ! ;)
    Not enough jazz either :D  Cheers for the reply re the "unclassifiables" though ICBM! And what kind of things have you got in the jazz?
    Megii said:

Not enough jazz either :D  Cheers for the reply re the "unclassifiables" though ICBM! And what kind of things have you got in the jazz?
    lol - I'll end up typing out the whole damn library at this rate :)

OK. Jazz:

Artie Shaw - Classic Tracks
    Benny Goodman - Carnegie Hall, Jazz Masters
    Billie Holliday - Best Of, The Lady Sings, Very Best Of
    Billy Cobham - Stratus
    Buddy Rich - The Beat Goes On, 1946-48
    Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher
    Camille Yarborough - Take Yo' Praise
    Chris Barber - Best Of Chris Barber's Jazz Band, The Entertainer, With Sister Rosetta Tharpe
    Count Basie - Jazz Masters, Kansas City Classic, Swinging The Blues
    Dave Brubeck - Time Out
    Dinah Washington - Mad About The Boy
    Django Reinhardt - Djangology, Souvenirs
    Duke Ellington - Best Of Early Ellington, Legends Of The 20th Century, Such Sweet Thunder
    Edith Piaf - La Vie En Rose
    Ella Fitzgerald - Essential Collection, Gold, Golden Greats
    Errol Garner - Savoy Recordings
    Etta James - At Last, Leave Your Hat On, W-O-M-A-N
    Fats Domino - Fats Domino
    Fats Waller - Aint Misbehavin', Fun With Fats
    George Gershwin - An American In Paris, The Man I Love, Rhapsody In Blue
    Glenn Miller - The Glenn Miller Story (compilation, not movie soundtrack)
    Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island, Jammin' With Herbie
    Jimmie Lunceford - 1934-1942
    Lalo Schifrin - Danude Incident
    Lester Young - Lester Dreams
    Louis Armstrong - Disney Songs The Satchmo Way, High Society, Jazz Genius, We Have All The Time In The World, What A Wonderful World
    Louis Jordan - Essential Collection
    Madeleine Peyroux - Bare Bones, Careless Love, Dreamland, Half The Perfect World
    Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, The Real Miles Davis
    MJQ - The Artistry of The Modern Jazz Quartet, Introducing The MJQ, Plastic Dreams, Porgy & Bess
    Nina Simone - Best Of
    Oscar Peterson - Saturday Night At The Blue Note
    Peggy Lee - Fever, I'm A Woman
    Ramsey Lewis - Midnight At The Oasis
    Rina Ketty - Rien Que Mon Coeur
    Stephane Grappelli - Golden Hour, Souvenirs
    Thelonious Monk - Monk's Moods
    Wes Montgomery - Tequila

Born To Swing (Various Artists
    )
    Les Paul & Mary Ford - How High The Moon; Johnny Smith - Jaguar; Pat Metheny - Missouri Uncompromised; Charlie Christian - Rose Room; Wes Montgomery - SOS (all from 100 Greatest Guitarists)

plus a few other random tracks

Plenty of b bending tele work there, with Bernie Leadon plus Gurf Morlix, great player ! 
    Love Laura Cantrell.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Plenty of b bending tele work there, with Bernie Leadon plus Gurf Morlix, great player ! 
    Love Laura Cantrell.
    Yes - but no 'guitar music' really. Quite often I don't even know who plays on the songs I like, and if I do it's generally just a curiosity thing - it doesn't make me want to find more unless I have some idea I like the songwriters. I know some guitar fans do, but it really has no interest to me - ie I wouldn't go and listen to something just because Bernie Leadon played on it (for example).

I don't mind good guitar playing at all, as long as it's part of the song. What I don't like is guitar playing (or any other instrument) as the primary purpose for something which lacks any other real point. I have very little of that across my entire music library - but because I am perverse, not quite none! Among other things I do actually have a Steve Vai album, which I quite like :) - because I like his sense of humour (musically) which comes through on a lot of the pieces, even though there are definitely some which are just too widdly-widdly for me.

Only ever bought one album for the guitar playing and that was Albert Lee's first solo instrumental album, and I ended up giving it away. To me the song is King. In fact one of my favourite cover tracks is Need your love so bad, no guitar just David Coverdale and Jon Lord. Awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom