Gretsch Vintage Select....

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited May 2020 in Guitar
No, not a NGD (well, not at the moment!) but I'm looking for a bit of info about them really - mainly opinions, I suppose. I've had Falcons, Jr Falcons, 6120 Chets, Hot Rods, Country Clubs, Country Gents, and - although I really, really like the thought of Gretsches as I think they're beautiful - they've come and gone as I've never really gelled with them. I think it's the shape or depth of the neck and the way it makes the fretboard feel quite flat - well, to me, anyway, although that could be utter cobblers.

Anyway, I think @brooom suggested Vintage Selects, and I wondered what people thought of them compared, say, to the regular 6120's.

I've been looking at this one, but noted that it's a 2016, and I had a feeling that the VS's didn't come out until 2017. It might be a bit on the pricey side (at £2150 delivered), but I don't really know the Gretsch market too much. Any thoughts gratefully accepted! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gretsch-G6120T-1955VS-guitar/372966901824?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Thanks!

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    Hi @DB1 I was also under the impression that they had started in 2017. I bought my 59 Vintage Select duo jet in 2017 and it was certainly the first year they hit stores/could be ordered, but I do seem to remember 6120 vintage selects came out earlier.

I really recommend vintage selects they compare very favourably to the Stephen Sterns I have. However my experience is with Jet/Penguin models (chambered solid bodies), I don't really have any experience with vintage select hollow bodies.

I'm sure they will be awesome guitars, though.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8124
    The one I played was incredible. 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    I once played a 6120-59  vintage select and got hooked on Gretsch, although never really found one again in a shop. Very old school v shape neck but it just felt great.

That would be my first choice, based on experience. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Thanks guys. Appreciated. 
    Call me Dave.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    If I was in the market for an gretsch, a vintage select would be what I looked for for the same reason @melod states - the V neck. It’s the neck profile of the standard Gretches I just can’t get on with, and a find it’s consistently awkward across the range and years. I kind of hope the vintage select profile is the one that makes Gretsch playable for me - interested to hear your how it works out.
    edited May 2020
    Acording to these posts, the vintage select series are as early as 2016: http://gretschpages.com/forum/modern-gretsch-guitars/vintage-select-series/54737/page1/

Regarding neck profile, the vintage select duo jet 59 I have, has slightly V'd neck profile. It is really comfortable and a really nice profile in my opinion. The Stephen Sterns (which I also find comfortable) are bigger necks, almost like a U shape, lots of shoulder, but quite nice as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3480
    edited May 2020
    I’ll be able to give you a 6120 VS vs Proline 6120 in the very near future
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    brooom said:
    Acording to these posts, the vintage select series are as early as 2016: http://gretschpages.com/forum/modern-gretsch-guitars/vintage-select-series/54737/page1/

Regarding neck profile, the vintage select duo jet 59 I have, has slightly V'd neck profile. It is really comfortable and a really nice profile in my opinion. The Stephen Sterns (which I also find comfortable) are bigger necks, almost like a U shape, lots of shoulder, but quite nice as well.
    My Steve Stern 59 Anniversary has a lovely soft V. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27723
    All this talk of neck profiles is dangerous and exciting. The main reason I haven't bought a regular MIJ Gretsch is the skinny D shape necks they all seem to have. I don't want a baseball bat, but just something that doesn't feel "generic £500 asian guitar" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    @stickyfiddle this is exactly my experience - generic and a D is my least favourite profile :( Although its prevented me going down the Gretsch rabbit hole so probably saved a wedge
    edited May 2020
    TheMarlin said:
    brooom said:

I'd like that, neither of mine do... I actually prefer the profile on the vintage select. My Sterns have big necks, very comfortable, but big with lots of shoulder:

And this is the vintage select:

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @broom Good to know. I'd love that black Jet. Or a sparkly one. 

And I really fancy a centre-block Falcon as well. 

Maybe if I get a decent bonus this year...

edited May 2020
    My vintage select is on hold for a forum member... so off the market but yes I highly recommend you to find one, they're awesome guitars.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    edited May 2020

@stickyfiddle I'm just about to accept an Ebay offer of £1,700 on my centre-block Silver Falcon. Just thought I'd throw that in there!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173674/fs-gretsch-silver-falcon-final-price-drop#latest
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:

@stickyfiddle I'm just about to accept an Ebay offer of £1,700 on my centre-block Silver Falcon. Just thought I'd throw that in there!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173674/fs-gretsch-silver-falcon-final-price-drop#latest
    Cheers. I've been looking at it longingly and would love it, but I'm in Abu Dhabi, so didn't want to risk a big international shipment at the mo. And honestly I can't drop that sort of cash while there's talk of potential job losses & recession over here as well. If it was for sale locally I'd have struggled to say no. 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    Dave @DB1 ;

I think you will find the same issues with the Vintage Select as you do the regular pro lines.  I've had both and didn't didn't much difference in the neck shape feel, even though they say it's a different neck.

I'd have a look for a Masterbuilt with a bigger/ Fender shape neck.
    brooom said:
    TheMarlin said:
    brooom said:

I'd like that, neither of mine do... I actually prefer the profile on the vintage select. My Sterns have big necks, very comfortable, but big with lots of shoulder:

And this is the vintage select:

Damn. Stunning!!!
    Hattigol said:

Cheers. I've been looking at it longingly and would love it, but I'm in Abu Dhabi, so didn't want to risk a big international shipment at the mo. And honestly I can't drop that sort of cash while there's talk of potential job losses & recession over here as well. If it was for sale locally I'd have struggled to say no. 
    No worries at all and fully understand, buddy. 

Can I make my joke about people in Dubai not really liking the Flintstones - but the people in Abu Dhabi do?

There, I've done it...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Wouldn't be the first time... won't be the last... :D  

What's the neck like on those CB Falcons, btw?
    I am useless at describing necks. Gretsch say it is a V shape but it's a fairly soft one at that. Medium - not too chunky or skinny.