Gretsch Vintage Select....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    wonderful choices @TheMarlin ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    This thread gives me another excuse to flaunt my Vintage Select Falcon I bought this month.  :)  

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/179628/ngd-the-mighty-falcon#latest

The neck is described as a Standard 'U' shape, but feels more like a shallowish 'C' shape to me.  

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8124
    Fishboy7 said:
    This thread gives me another excuse to flaunt my Vintage Select Falcon I bought this month.  :)  

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/179628/ngd-the-mighty-falcon#latest

The neck is described as a Standard 'U' shape, but feels more like a shallowish 'C' shape to me.  

Most of the Japanese Gretsches I’ve had have felt like a typical Fender C neck. 

The only other non- custom shop model that I know of that has a fuller neck is the 2420. I do like the neck on those!
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    DB1 said:
    No, not a NGD (well, not at the moment!) but I'm looking for a bit of info about them really - mainly opinions, I suppose. I've had Falcons, Jr Falcons, 6120 Chets, Hot Rods, Country Clubs, Country Gents, and - although I really, really like the thought of Gretsches as I think they're beautiful - they've come and gone as I've never really gelled with them. I think it's the shape or depth of the neck and the way it makes the fretboard feel quite flat - well, to me, anyway, although that could be utter cobblers.

Anyway, I think @brooom suggested Vintage Selects, and I wondered what people thought of them compared, say, to the regular 6120's.

I've been looking at this one, but noted that it's a 2016, and I had a feeling that the VS's didn't come out until 2017. It might be a bit on the pricey side (at £2150 delivered), but I don't really know the Gretsch market too much. Any thoughts gratefully accepted! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gretsch-G6120T-1955VS-guitar/372966901824?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Thanks!

You can see the serial number through the f-hole on that one, so definitely is what he says.  

Price doesn't seem too bad.  GuitarGuitar have an ex-demo one with a broken pickguard for £2.9k.  And those cactus inlays are a definite turn on
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Thanks for all the comments! I've done a little bit of research and checked that the 6120's were around in 2016 (thanks @Fishboy7 ) and also saw the GuitarGuitar model, which I thought was a bit cheeky, considering that you can get a brand new one for about £2799 or under now.

I'm hopeless at describing necks, but have always felt the 6120's and the Falcons to have a very pronounced change in feel between the neck and the fretboard - if I can over-exaggerate, it's a bit like putting a flat piece of timber on top of a bowl (there's one for the Gretsch marketing brochures!).

I was interested in @AlexO 's comment about it feeling similar to the regular Terada Gretsches (whereas most comments seem to be that it's a different feel) so it might be a case of trialling one when circumstances allow, or taking a punt on one that would cost about 75% of a new price, or even taking advantage of DSR and going for a new one.

Call me Dave.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    I had the VS Penguin and the Normal Falcon and found them similar, maybe the Penguin was a tad fuller but still that Gretsch U shape which is really a D
    Was trying to find a picture of them both together but nearest I have was this one.

Dave, do you find the neck on the TV Jones Spectra Sonic similar to a Gretsch?

• @DB1 If you’re ever in the Liverpool/Manchester area and want to give a VS Jet a try just ask. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Hi @AlexO ; - that's a beautiful guitar you have there. I found the Falcon necks to be an exaggerated version of the 6120 necks, - not horrible (for me) but not ones that gravitated towards. It wouldn't put me off another one, as I think that Gretsches are gorgeous, but it would have to be more occasional than regular.

Alex, The TV Jones feels more like e '61-ish profile Gibson neck (to me anyway, I might be completely wrong) and instantly more comfortable to my hands anyway. In many other respects, it feels understandably Gretsch-like though, but more Jet than Falcon of course.
    Call me Dave.
    @DB1 If you’re ever in the Liverpool/Manchester area and want to give a VS Jet a try just ask. 

That's very kind - I keep threatening to take my old ES-295 round to Alex, so I'm sure I will be around at some stage. I used to haunt Sound Affects Premier. =)
    Call me Dave.
    So, probably inevitably, it did end up as a NGD. First thing is, the neck does feel more comfortable for me than the normal 6120's, Falcons, etc - whether it's partly because I'm willing it to or not, I don't know, but it certainly feels nice. It's been a year or so since I last had a 6120, but this one definitely does have a vintage vibe and sound to it.

And I think it's gorgeous, but then I do about most Gretsches. So far, so good, so expect to see it in the classifieds soon.  =)

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8124
    Stunning!
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    Love that Dave. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    edited May 2020
    Here's my vintage select 59 duo jet with the Stephen Stern friends, all 3 equally good in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom