The Shred Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    carlos said:
    No Shawn Lane? What are you guys smoking?

Also a fairly obscure one, Rob Johnson - https://open.spotify.com/album/2b5Ft0uZ97nia8M2rtTNLB?si=FrrSuAOGTpOidYZ4JJIzkw
    Has all the hallmarks of the genre: OTT soloing, as many notes possible crammed into each bar, listless drums and bass. Completely tasteless and I love it.

Speaking of Rob, he made a huge Spotify playlist with shred guitar - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1hfFMqmrEpu580eL04yyy6

btw, Jeff Beck has no business in this list, just not in his thing.

Of course! Powers Of Ten was a game changer for me, don't know how I forgot that one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Chris Poland - Chasing the Sun

More recently I've been enjoying Mika Tyyska:

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    Definitely second all mentions of Passion and Warfare, Jason Becker and Paul Gilbert - love all of his solo stuff with vocals on. All of Nuno's stuff with Extreme/Mourning Widows/Dramagods well worth checking out too. I tend to prefer songs with ripping solos these days rather than instrumental albums. +1 for Shawn Lane too @carlos - ridiculous player! 

One guy I keep meaning to check out more is Scott Mishoe - slap style on guitar. 

Some others worth checking out - Mattias Eklundh - loads of instrumental stuff, but his band Freak Kitchen are great. Ron Thal/Bumblefoot - done some great stuff, fretless playing too. One of my favourites is a guy called Ronni Le Tekro from a Norwegian/US band called TNT; very unique player. Reb Beach from Winger is also outstanding, very tasty player....likewise Richie Kotzen. 

Not massively into the new stuff that's around; Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders) has some really interesting stuff from a technical point of view though. The one guy whose playing I love though is Rick Graham; he posts a load of stuff on Instagram and is an absolute freak of nature, but he also posts clips when he messes up, which I find reassuring :) 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2228
    Many of those already mentioned.

Two more that spring to mind for me are:

Daniele Gottardo - Frenzy Of Ecstacy

Steffen Schackinger - ElectriGuitartistry

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited May 2020
    Not shreddy in the same way but if you appreciate technical guitar wizardry, definitely listen to Protest The Hero. All of it is really good but Volition is my favourite of theirs. I foolishly bought the tab book a few years ago and swiftly gave up. Also the song Moonlight has a really stupid time signature bit in that's so satisfying to listen to. 

Also check out CHON.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 371
    edited May 2020
    Thanks everyone. Loads of stuff to listen to here. 
    I guess it should be more of a cool guitar album/technical thread than shred thread but the latter sounded cooler! 
    Keep ‘em coming. I’m surprised by how many I’ve never heard of. 
    I’ll quickly throw in Steve Morse. I’ve only got 3 records, Stressfest being my fave. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Not really shred but the Fourth Estate albums Finesse & Fury and See What I See have some very tasty guitar work.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23696
    edited May 2020
    Ron Thal/Bumblefoot - done some great stuff, fretless playing too. One of my favourites is a guy called Ronni Le Tekro from a Norwegian/US band called TNT; very unique player. Reb Beach from Winger is also outstanding, very tasty player....likewise Richie Kotzen. 
    Thinking of Bumblefoot, I am a fan of the Chinese Democracy album (no really), I love the way those guitarists did something completely different from what Slash would've done.  I think Buckethead is the main featured soloist, but there's lots of great stuff from Bumblefoot and Robin Finck too.

I've got a couple of TNT albums but I was never crazy about the songs.  I'm a long-time Richie Kotzen fan, although I like some of his stuff more than others (and there are loads of his albums I've never heard).

And Winger.... one of my favourite bands.  Bollocks to Beavis and Butt-Head.  I think Reb Beach is amazing in Winger but anonymous in Whitesnake (not helped by the fact that the Whitesnake songs are so bloody awful).  Reb's spell in Dokken was a bit underwhelming, but there's a live gig somewhere on YouTube which is amazing - he plays the Lynch solos pretty much note for note but still manages to sound like himself.  He's great.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I was big into neo classical and shred way back in the early 90s I guess. Loved Vai and Satch back then. One of my faves (already mentioned) was Vinnie Moore's Minds Eye. Tony Macalpine was good as well, but I liked the Vinnie album best. 

Love Guthrie, but of course.

I kind of left shred in the past, but every so often I find a track that I enjoy as a bit of fun. I rather like this one from Mike Orlando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS_wdB0SS14
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    Philly_Q said:
    Ron Thal/Bumblefoot - done some great stuff, fretless playing too. One of my favourites is a guy called Ronni Le Tekro from a Norwegian/US band called TNT; very unique player. Reb Beach from Winger is also outstanding, very tasty player....likewise Richie Kotzen. 
    Thinking of Bumblefoot, I am a fan of the Chinese Democracy album (no really), I love the way those guitarists did something completely different from what Slash would've done.  I think Buckethead is the main featured soloist, but there's lots of great stuff from Bumblefoot and Robin Finck too.

I've got a couple of TNT albums but I was never crazy about the songs.  I'm a long-time Richie Kotzen fan, although I like some of his stuff more than others (and there are loads of his albums I've never heard).

And Winger.... one of my favourite bands.  Bollocks to Beavis and Butt-Head.  I think Reb Beach is amazing in Winger but anonymous in Whitesnake (not helped by the fact that the Whitesnake songs are so bloody awful).  Reb's spell in Dokken was a bit underwhelming, but there's a live gig somewhere on YouTube which is amazing - he plays the Lynch solos pretty much note for note but still manages to sound like himself.  He's great.

I saw Guns n' Roses (in 2010 I think) when it was Ron Thal, Richard Fortus and DJ Ashba on guitar. Ron Thal was faultless all night, absolutely fantastic guitarist. I used to have some of the Bumblefoot stuff years ago, it was only after seeing him with GnR that I realised it was the same person
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Love all that everyone else has said so far.  There's loads of awesome player out there, nice to have a thread for it.
    I'll add Niko Tsonev to the list.  His album Banshees and Harpsichords in particular is a constant amazement to me, such wonderful tone with such technical mastery.  Also a lesson in innovative use of effects.  Real nice guy too.
    https://youtu.be/W3ZSVQGijHk

Just listened to Nick Johnston because I like the look of his signature Schecter - he's awesome! Really nice melodic style 

That was superb @TTBZ Good call
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    TTBZ said:
    Just listened to Nick Johnston because I like the look of his signature Schecter - he's awesome! Really nice melodic style 

Just came here to post Remarkably Human. It was the first time in a long time that instrumental music really made me pay attention..
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23696
    It's a very trivial thing to say, but I'm always struck by how remarkably different Nick Johnston looks with a beard than without.
    LuttiS said:
    TTBZ said:

Just came here to post Remarkably Human. It was the first time in a long time that instrumental music really made me pay attention..
    Same, I really went off instrumental "guitarist" music for a long time but really like his style!
    @TTBZ and @LuttiS if you like that then I'd check out The Aristocrats Tres Cabelleros and You Know What...? albums. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    edited May 2020
    donbot said:
    @TTBZ and @LuttiS if you like that then I'd check out The Aristocrats Tres Cabelleros and You Know What...? albums. 
    Got them, seen them, got the Tres Cabelleros T-Shirt from the show

On all honesty though, I've seen them a few times, and last time I was bored.. Guthrie is amazing, and a great chap but.. i was so bored. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Who remembers Helloween? Damn, I love those two Keeper of the Seven Keys albums. They’d be on my desert island for sure. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    My favourite shredders these days are Guthrie Govan, Tom Quayle and Martin Miller.
    But really I don’t even see them as shredders, just as extremely musical guys who can play in a variety of genres and have absolutely no technical limitations.
    Matteo Mancuso is pretty insane too, he may have the cleanest and most even technique of any fast guy I’ve ever heard. And he can bop