The Shred Thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    Is it wrong that I read this as the shed thread :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    Rick Graham is my favourite these days.. if only he could get out and play.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    If the solo from this doesn’t you going, I can’t help!

https://youtu.be/Lcm9qqo_qB0
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308
    Greg Howe- Greg Howe is good , also the vinnie Moore ones mentioned, Tony mcalpine , 
      Jennifer batten ,yngwie,joe trump, vai ,satch. I enjoy a couple of bass ones by Randy coven too, 

jason Becker is phenomenal , Steve Lynch out of autograph .

my fave all rounder is Skyscraper by David Lee Roth , vai, Sheehan and bissonette make amazing sounds.  I have a LP called guitar masters or something with a lot of the guys on it plus joey taffola ,king diamond etc 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited June 2020
    I've really found myself enjoying Nito and some Polyphia, although whether you'd class either as shred is up to you... Certainly they can.

I've also long been a fan of buckethead's pikes. Soothsayer is a wonderful, simple shred song (well, simple in terms of structure and harmony, but anyone who can do sweep taps with their middle finger AND pinky is a genius). I also like welcome to bucketheadland, Nottingham lace, how much does a thought weigh? And others by him. He has over 300 albums though, so I'd recommend doing some research before diving in! This is one of my faves - pike 65, a concept album dedicated to his mum. Has some INSANE cool licks, such as some really interesting hybrid picked runs, interesting tapping licks. All proof you don't need to know a million different modes and complex theory to construct interesting sounding music. 

Skip to 6 minutes 30 or so for the start of the first shreddy bit. Pentatonic followed by some ace pedal tone hybrid picking! 
  • LuttiS said:
    donbot said:
    @TTBZ and @LuttiS if you like that then I'd check out The Aristocrats Tres Cabelleros and You Know What...? albums. 
    Got them, seen them, got the Tres Cabelleros T-Shirt from the show

On all honesty though, I've seen them a few times, and last time I was bored.. Guthrie is amazing, and a great chap but.. i was so bored. 
    I never feel like players like Guthrie or Quayle, amazing as they are (and I do like some of their music a lot!) are ever... Nearing out-of-control. Everything is just so perfect, it loses something for me. Whereas with buckethead, even though his whole act is that he is a robotic, emotionless person I always feel like he is putting all of his energy into his playing, and absolutely pushing himself to the limit. Which he probably isn't! 

Funny how us humans work, isn't it? 

I'd love to have Guthrie as my teacher though. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The peak ‘Jeff Beck as shredder’ period for me runs from the late 80s up to the early 2000s- the ‘high gain’ era. 

Guitar Shop (88? 89?) is basically the fruition of the pickless, whammy-heavy style he’d been developing since 79/80/81 and There and Back. Actually, There and Back is a really strong album IMO, but Guitar Shop is where it all comes together- especially on Big Block, which is a fabulous track and where he really cuts loose. 

The it all goes (largely) quiet for the most of the 90s until as you rightly say we have Who Else? In 99. Now that for me is THE landmark post Blow by Blow Jeff Beck album- and I think it’s got everything. It’s got the early lyricism of the earlier period up to Blow by Blow, the power and frenzy that came through around Wired and T+B, and the heavy rock of Guitar Shop. 

Some of the live videos from that late 90s/ early 2000s are great too. 

I think he’s tone has mellowed out somewhat since then, and I know not everyone likes this high gain era of Beck. But for me the bloke is at his most inspiring when he sounds feral and angry- playing almost as if he has some kind of vendetta! He had that in spades on Who Else, because it was something of a comeback album, and he had some great people on that record to really push him. I mean you’ve got Jennifer Batten in your group- you’ve really got to do something special to keep up with her! 

Of the other names on this thread, I know most of them. Probably my favourites (the ones I listen to for the music as much as to enjoy the playing) are Greg Howe and Satch, mainly because for me they’re technically great and there are loads of WTF? moments that send you off trying to approximate them on your own guitar, but they’re also not afraid to step back and play with soul. Satch especially on the earlier stuff has the melodies as well. 

For shredding as an Olympic sport it’s got to be Yngwie, first, last and always. I saw him once and the gig lasted about 75 mins. That was probably 70 mins too long, as after the first couple of numbers I was exhausted. 

• LogieLogie Frets: 445
    Shreddy wise I love Zakk Wylde's Farm Fiddlin' track. Saw Paul Gilbert in Bristol and he wasn't just incredible technically but he was also very funny and entertaining. Not sure what was more impressive :) Uli Jon Roth was the first really exceptional guitarist I loved to listen to and Catch your train and Sails of Charon are very good examples of how far ahead he was at the time. I appreciate technique but the only shred guitarists I can listen to for any extended period of time are Nuno and Satch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    https://youtu.be/mIWVyyj2JIU

Had to post this, this guy is just unreal