Please help me choose: JHS Vintage V6 vs Squier CVs strat?

What's Hot
Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
Hi, everyone. Glad to be in the forum. I just wanna ask about this... What do you think about the JHS vintage V6 guitars? Are they as good and "straty" as MIC CVs? Do they have different neck profile than the CV?

I have to ask this because I can't compare them both now, but I will, when the circumstances allow me to. However, I think I need to have your input first also before checking..Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1334
    Hi mate ,unless the Vintage v6 is around £150 i would pay the extra for a s/h classic vibe for around £230,The vintage V6 is good but the classic vibe is another level up imho .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    The vintage brand stuff is really really good but so is the CV. There’s little to choose between them except the squier will be easier to sell on and for a higher value. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14727
    edited May 2020
    What they said.

Also, should the time ever come, a Fender design under a Fender umbrella brand name will be easier to sell and fetch more money.

Guitar neck profiles are a very personal thing. There is no substitute for getting your paws on a potential purchase. It will be worth waiting for the Covid-19 lockdown to end before committing your funds.

There are other worthy candidates in your price bracket. e.g. Yamaha, Ibanez, Cort, pre-owned PRS SE et cetera.

In answer to the OP question, for c.£350, the Squier wins by a head(stock).

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7113
    tFB Trader
    I'd take the Squier every time.
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    edited May 2020
    Hi,everyone..thanks a lot for all the input...so lucky to have you all here..for instance, I forgot about the resale value and easiness to modify factor. So l think I will go for CV but yes, I will give them a try first and yes, I will keep my eyes open to any brands as funkfingers mentioned...and ,Probably my next headache is to choose between CV 50 and 60s hehe...hopefully this pandemic over soon..stay safe all of you
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8093
    Squire Classic Vibe - tele, not Strat..
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    Joe123 said:
    Probably my next headache is to choose between CV 50 and 60s 
    They share the same pickups so should sound the same.. The major differences are maple vs rosewood fingerboard, and colour choice.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    My recollection of the original leaflet for the CV series is that one model had Tonerider-ish A5 pickups whilst the other got A3. Don’t ask me which was which.
    TheMarlin said:
    Hi, why is that? Are their strats not as great as their teles?
    My recollection of the original leaflet for the CV series is that one model had Tonerider-ish A5 pickups whilst the other got A3. Don’t ask me which was which.
    Yes...that was it...I haven't compared both the 50s and 60s, but I tried my friend's CV 50 strat and it sounded great. And so when I knew they have different pickups, I really want to try and compare them both since I can only buy 1 guitar for now. And it is getting harder to get brand new MIC Squier nowadays. Last year I checked, almost all big music stores in my country have the newest Indonesian version and It sounded great too but the sound felt different than my friend's CV... So, I ended up not buying any.
    Joe123 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Classic Vibe - tele, not Strat..
    Buy whichever excites you about making music. 

Joe123 said:
    the newest Indonesian version … different than my friend's CV.
    Again, buy the variant that pleases your ear and feels right in your hands.

The main difference between the 50s and 60s models is the neck profile and fingerboard material.

The business of Alnico 3 versus Alnico 5 rod magnets is probably just Tonerider aping the Seymour Duncan Antiquity series. 

Pickups can easily be changed. The CV Stratocaster is routed for HSS. The CV Custom and regular Telecasters are SH. Plenty of potential there. ;)

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8093
    Joe123 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    The Teles are great guitars. 

The strats in this range that I’ve played had sub par tremolos, so I imagine all sorts of issues with the trem over time. 

Nothing to go wrong with the tele. 

If you want a strat, get a Fender Mex Classic Player. That’s a hell of a a lot of strat for the money. The 50’s has a superb neck. Adore mine. 
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    It’s a personal thing but I would avoid the CV series purely because most of them I’ve tried have had that horrible amber plastic-y lacquer on the necks. 

The Vintage guitars used to have a pleasingly rough matte finish on them which buffed up to a low gloss beautifully with a bit of 0000 steel wool!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9755
    You’d get much the same effect on a glossy Squier neck.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    The CVs I have played have all been very good guitars for the money. If youhyou find the trem a bit dodgy I can recommend the Wilkinson vintage-style 5+1 trem with the steel block - I put one in my partscaster and it feels and sounds great.

TheMarlin said:
    Joe123 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    The Teles are great guitars. 

The strats in this range that I’ve played had sub par tremolos, so I imagine all sorts of issues with the trem over time. 

Nothing to go wrong with the tele. 

If you want a strat, get a Fender Mex Classic Player. That’s a hell of a a lot of strat for the money. The 50’s has a superb neck. Adore mine. 
    @TheMarlin thanks for the suggestion again. Now I see why you think their teles are better. I will check if there is any used Mex Classic player available in my country too..I believe it won't as cheap as the Squiers ,though hehe

@Pabcrane..thanks for the input about the bridge substitute. Will it perfectly fit into the cavity of the Squier or should I re-drill the cavity to put the wilkinson trem?thanks
    edited May 2020
    It’s a personal thing but I would avoid the CV series purely because most of them I’ve tried have had that horrible amber plastic-y lacquer on the necks. 

The Vintage guitars used to have a pleasingly rough matte finish on them which buffed up to a low gloss beautifully with a bit of 0000 steel wool!
    Thank you for mentioning that. I will remember that and have a look at it when I able to compare them directly in a shop...but just like what @thermionic said, can't we have the same effect on CV by using the steel wool or sandpaper?
    Joe123 said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Classic Vibe - tele, not Strat..
    Buy whichever excites you about making music. 

Joe123 said:
    the newest Indonesian version … different than my friend's CV.
    Again, buy the variant that pleases your ear and feels right in your hands.

The main difference between the 50s and 60s models is the neck profile and fingerboard material.

The business of Alnico 3 versus Alnico 5 rod magnets is probably just Tonerider aping the Seymour Duncan Antiquity series. 

Pickups can easily be changed. The CV Stratocaster is routed for HSS. The CV Custom and regular Telecasters are SH. Plenty of potential there. ;)

Thank you again for the input @Funkfingers. Yup, I think I will try the three of them (Vintage V6, MIC Squier [if there is still any], and Cort G 260CS) before buying...Hopefully, it is going to happen sooner in this uncertain condition..
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9690
    Squier all the way.
    Squier all the way.
    Thanks for the suggestion.. please tell me why you think Squier is the best here?