Please help me choose: JHS Vintage V6 vs Squier CVs strat?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bullybully Frets: 5
    Overall you can't go far wrong with either.

It sounds obvious, but if you can get your hands on both. I went with my vintage v100 over a epiphone in part because the neck was exactly what I was after (and thankfully sounded & played to what I wanted). Ive not got my hands on a v6 unfortunately, but I really did like the feel of a couple of the CVs I got my hands on. I really don't think you can go far wrong with either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1373
    I haven’t played a Vintage V6, but the older made in China pine body Classic Vibe Teles I’ve played were not that far off my US 52 Reissue Tele. As in, if I had to trade down I wouldn’t have considered it a massive loss.

Yeah, the poly finish is kind of thick on the CVs, but the stock pickups were surprisingly good and with an upgrade the difference would probably be even less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14727
    Some of the comments in this thread are at cross purposes to each other. 

There are two questions going on. Firstly, which product is "better". Secondly, which product is the most suitable for one particular customer.

Joe123 said:
    I tried my friend's CV 50 strat.  ...the newest Indonesian version ... felt different than my friend's CV... 
    If your friend's Chinese-made CV model does what you desire, offer to buy it.

Alternatively, scour the websites of music retailers for B-Stock, clearance lines or customer returns. Better still, talk to somebody at the dealerships. Ask directly whether they still have stocks of the MIC Squier CV Stratocaster. Be prepared to compromise on colour.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd check eBay for 2nd hand vintage modified series (predecessor to the CV) you then get a rosewood board. A mate of mine has one and it played super nice. I just picked up a VM jazzmaster and it's absolutely mega. 
    I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind - rolling in from a distance.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14727
    Broken record time again. 

Fender/Squier has an annoying habit of changing and reusing nomenclature. The latest Crafted In Indonesia Classic Vibe instruments are a case in point.

In recent years, the Classic Vibe series has been outselling the Vintage Modified series. Fender/Squier's reaction has been to end production in China and put CV decals on what was previously the VM series (... and was the Standard series before that).

Thus, the MIC CV guitar sought by the OP (and many others) is not the same as the brand new Indonesian product bearing the same name.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    Broken record time again. 

Fender/Squier has an annoying habit of changing and reusing nomenclature. The latest Crafted In Indonesia Classic Vibe instruments are a case in point.

In recent years, the Classic Vibe series has been outselling the Vintage Modified series. Fender/Squier's reaction has been to end production in China and put CV decals on what was previously the VM series (... and was the Standard series before that).

Thus, the MIC CV guitar sought by the OP (and many others) is not the same as the brand new Indonesian product bearing the same name.

Yes, that is exactly what I thought. The new CV (made in my own country, Indonesia) didn't sound like the older MIC CVs..I think the finish and built-quality are alike but not the tone. They are not lame,though, but different than the MIC. 
    Btw, I did ask my friend. But he said that it isn't for sale because it was, and still now, his primary guitar for services at Church. And yes, it is getting harder to get a brand new MIC CV nowadays, even for the used one.