Comments

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited September 2020
    ^yeah, or maybe a black/negative version??  Just a thought 

Either way looking tidy & stylish!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27575
    Great work Tony!
    Cheers Nick @monquixote.  It’s one I’m happy with.  Or will be when I find the right pickup for it.

Roland said:
    Tony, have you kept a copy of the image so that you can recreate the scratch plate is the print fades?
    Better than that @Roland - I bought two copies (in case I messed up the first try).  Just need to keep it somewhere safe.

But findable.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Great work @TTony! Lovely to see it completed.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    is that printed on?
    Neat, huh!!
    • I took a photo of the body, from the bridge position up to the neck join.
    • Photoshopped the photo to extend the grain lines over the neck join
    • Got the amended photo printed onto 3mm acrylic
    • Cut the acrylic into a scratchplate shape
    • Bevelled the edges

The trickiest part was actually getting a decent photo (lighting) that was perfectly perpendicular to the body.

It's stuck to the body (double sided tape) rather than screwed because screws  made it look more like a scratchplate!

(PS - the photo above is before attaching the acrylic to the body, it actually lines up better than the photo above shows).
    That is beautiful @TTony ; - absolutely made my day...!
    Thanks @Fifty9 - couldn’t have done it without you!

Cheers @jaymenon - I just can’t resist Graham’s stuff!  I need to do another one now, just to try the scratchplate trick again ...
  • Just seen this having searched for info on the crimson stains and grain filler - what are your thoughts, some time after finishing this? 
    @ThePrettyDamned ;

I’m quite happy using their stains.  Used them on a variety of woods, easy to apply and get the results that I’d expect.  I don’t think about it any more - I just use Crimson’s stains.

How do they wear after a couple of years’ intensive playing?  I’ve no idea.  I’ve too many guitars, so none of them get any intensive levels of playing!
  • TTony said:
    @ThePrettyDamned ;

I’m quite happy using their stains.  Used them on a variety of woods, easy to apply and get the results that I’d expect.  I don’t think about it any more - I just use Crimson’s stains.

How do they wear after a couple of years’ intensive playing?  I’ve no idea.  I’ve too many guitars, so none of them get any intensive levels of playing!

Awesome!

How was the fun grain filler? I'm kinda interested in the blue one, might look kinda funky.

I do wish they had some solid colour options, but I assume they prefer to spray those... 
    I could certainly have used more grainfiller. 

As it it, the gold is certainly there, but you have to look for it to see it.  I guess it's a suitably subtle effect, and will probably catch the spotlights beautifully ...
  • TTony said:
    I could certainly have used more grainfiller. 

As it it, the gold is certainly there, but you have to look for it to see it.  I guess it's a suitably subtle effect, and will probably catch the spotlights beautifully ...
    Cool, sounds interesting. Hoping to snag a build later in the year and wanting to make it look super cool. Your builds always look tops. 
    There are some videos on the Crimson YT channel showing how best to apply their stains.  Worth a watch if you'll be using their stuff.

:+1: