Accidental incoming NGD

What's Hot
greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 509
edited May 2020 in Guitar
Whoops!

I've admired this guitar for quite a while now, and while I was ogling at it, again, on Reverb I thought "why not put in an offer", doing that thing where you justify it in your imagination by selling one or two other guitars to afford it. I might have had a beer in my hand at the time and probably shouldn't have been looking at guitars on my phone. Well, the offer got accepted, so I guess this guitar will be winging its way to me next week.

Edit: I am excited though!

0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    That's very nice.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14753
    Well, that’s one model that Harry Seven hasn’t collected … so far.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27955
    DCs are never a wrong thing to buy.

Nice!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Oh my !!!!!!!!!! Lovely B)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23589
    It's cool.  Expensive accident, though.
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 509
    Philly_Q said:
    It's cool.  Expensive accident, though.
    Totally agree with both statements there ha! I do have a CS TV Special that would help pay the bulk of it if I sold it, but would be a shame to part with that. Will try and keep both if I can. 
    It arrived! Very happy, a total beaut. Heavier than I was anticipating, but it sounds really lovely. The 60's neck is really nice. I was slightly nervous if I'd like it, but it's really comfortable to play. I think it's got a beautiful top on it too. Even the back is totally lush. There's a few finishing niggles, but they don't stop me from loving it!

The niggles.... there's swirly pigtail sanding marks still in the top. Really hard to photograph, but they're there. Kinda feel like they shouldn't be. There's a whole load of (presumably carnuba?) wax smooshed against the end of the fretboard that's just been left there. There's some wobbly router marks on the scratchplate... I've recently made my own and it's bang on, not that hard! Finally, I think they've overdone it with the parts aging. There's actual rust in places which just seems totally out of place on the guitar, most notably on the bridge post screw and the pickguard screws. However, none of these things are an issue when it's cranked at a billion gigawatts like Marty McFly. Definitely a keeper. 

With some of the collection : )

Smooshy wax 

Wobbly rout

Unnecessary rust (personal opinion)

: )
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27706
    That’s amazing. I’ve loved the look of these since the first time I saw them
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    Nice guitar.

For those of us who aren't Gibson obsessives, what model is it? 
  • that's tasty, Always liked those models
    Nice guitar.

Thanks. It's a Custom Shop DC Special in 'bourbon burst' : )
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1178
    how does it play when compared to the junior?
    Nice guitar.

Thanks. It's a Custom Shop DC Special in 'bourbon burst' : )
    Interesting, that's supposedly the same colour as my CR8.  I guess it probably is, but the outer edge of your sunburst looks darker than mine.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7894
    WOWSER

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    I don't know how much these cost, but your right and you don't expect those niggles for the premium - Not worth sorting if its really good.
    brooom said:
    how does it play when compared to the junior?
    Haven't plugged them in side by side yet, but the junior is - unsurprisingly - louder acoustically. That's a 1959 one so the wood is well aged and dry and the lacquer super thin and missing in many places, which is definitely noticeable in the acoustic sound giving it a woodier lighter tone. The neck on the junior is bigger, but the main difference is that it's very rounded, its slopes immediately from the fretboard. 

The new one is tighter sounding less open acoustically. The neck is thinner, but has a bit more shoulder. Higher up the neck it's flat on the back, much like my 61 SG, but it's not flat at the cowboy chord area. It's also heavier and with the binding it's got sharper edges. 

The new one sounds really fat plugged in though! Sizzly fat humbuckers. The junior is also quite the beast, but I've not A/B'd them together plugged in yet

Winny_Pooh said:
    WOWSER

Yeah man!!
    Schnozz said:
    I don't know how much these cost, but your right and you don't expect those niggles for the premium - Not worth sorting if its really good.
    Indeed. Might give it a little tinker with in due course. 
  • Man that's a really beautiful Whoops!... Hope you enjoy it
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6269
    oh, that's so nice mate. Top quality gassing there. 
    The neck is thinner, but has a bit more shoulder. Higher up the neck it's flat on the back, much like my 61 SG, but it's not flat at the cowboy chord area. It's also heavier and with the binding it's got sharper edges.  

That sounds very much like the neck on the custom shop DC LP Special (with P-90s), which I guess isn't surprising as they probably start with the same chassis, although yours has the maple top, binding and humbuckers.

I don't like slim necks, but this one's OK, it seems to suit the guitar.  The bit of shoulder you mentioned helps, it's almost a U or maybe D shape, not like the Gibson USA slim taper necks.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Those things are awesome. What a trio too. Congrats, wonderful collection