Budget snorkeldick guitars with cool colours announced

What's Hot
chris78chris78 Frets: 9598
These look tasty. Shame about the wide thin neck for me
 https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/prs-introduce-limited-fade-finished-se-custom-24/
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    Urgh gross.

Lets face it, PRS finishes have never exactly had an issue with fading all by themselves anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7023
    edited May 2020
    For junior doctors and trainee dental hygienists? 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3719
    I've had an email about them from Soud Affects.

Much as I like PRS guitars I really don't like these new colour effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    The rainbow fade finish began as a one-off for an earlier customer/endorsee. (Al DiMeola, if memory serves.) I cannot say that I care very much for the SE version any more than for last year's Jakko Jakszyk SE signature model with the tackily executed Red Cardinal graphic.

Make no mistake, I like PRS SE guitars. Just not these particular colour schemes. 

What might be nice is a Santana-style Rasta Fari tri-colour. (For some reason, auto spellcheck wants to change "tri" to trip.) ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    Jackobean said:

Lets face it, PRS finishes have never exactly had an issue with fading all by themselves anyway
    Yes they have.

'97 Custom 22, photographed in about 2000 or 2001.

When I bought it I had no idea that it wasn't meant to be pink, until I took the pickups out and found this...

Admittedly it only seems to have been the purple and blue models containing a certain type of blue dye that faded like this, and they fixed it after only a few years - presumably they started showing up faded very quickly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7023
    I think that's what he meant tbh. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14758
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Jackobean said:

Yes they have.

'97 Custom 22, photographed in about 2000 or 2001.

When I bought it I had no idea that it wasn't meant to be pink, until I took the pickups out and found this...

Admittedly it only seems to have been the purple and blue models containing a certain type of blue dye that faded like this, and they fixed it after only a few years - presumably they started showing up faded very quickly.
    I own a PRS Modern Eagle in faded denim blue jean, that has almost faded to a white/blue - seriously washed jean vibe- Admittedly a nitro finish - But sunlight/UV alone has caused this and barely any hint of the original blue finish left - Remove pick-up surronds and you'll see how much it has faded - Lots of character

But I have seen a few black cherry, purple finishes (as above) and 'scarlet red' finishes that have faded far more than expected - Less so with any burst based finishes
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    When do they come out with the Steve Albini sig? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    soma1975 said:
    I think that's what he meant tbh. 
    Yep. Certain finishes fade quicker than my enthusiasm for life.
    Also, not really that close to the Al D rainbow:

Half the guitar left out in the sun vs. unicorn vomit.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Vomit is about right
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    Jackobean said:
    Urgh gross.

Well what do you expect?

You aren't supposed to play them.

You could damage the hang tags!
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4261
    I had emails within a few seconds of each other about these today from Peach, Guitar Guitar & GAK. I'm not a fan of these fade finishes; they seem to be everywhere at the moment but I just think they look a bit shit tbh
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    I like prs guitars, but I don’t like these colours. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11423
    Revolting colours, and hopfully the answer to "will some people buy anything as long as it's got 'PRS' somewhere on it"?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    I'm not a fan of these fade finishes; they seem to be everywhere at the moment but I just think they look a bit shit tbh
    Fender tried something similar on some of their 1982/83 American Elite instruments. The look sucked then and it sucks now.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    I hesitate to say it, but I actually like the finishes :). Especially the red-to-peach one, although it may be partly to do with the particular flame in that one.

However, I'm not really a fan of 24-fret PRSs to play, I don't like the flat tops or the all-black plastics, and I detest the birds... so it's still a No from me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    I love PRS guitars... but those look like painting mistakes.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    I guess they are just trying something, hence limited, to see if it sells.  There is nothing in it different besides the paint job. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Sorry, but no!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    edited May 2020
    I wonder if these would have been more accepted if it was a different brand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom