PSA Gibson tribute DC

What's Hot

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2459
    I would advise strongly against buying these blind. Bought one in the clearance in January and I went through 4 or 5 across different shops before I found one that didn't have paint flaws, a badly cut nut or sharp fret ends.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JRgtarJRgtar Frets: 21
    Although get a good one and it’s a great deal. I bought a Les Paul Tribute last year and have to say it’s fantastic in finish and sound. Agree with buying blind though, always a bit risky unless you can be bothered with potential returns.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I'd have been very tempted to try one but for the scratchplate - I assume it makes them cheaper to make but looks awful imo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7870
    I played a blue one, great guitars and that is a great price. At that price, paint flaws or a funny nut is irrelevant to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2943
    So tempted! The pickguard on these has grown on me a bit but it's still a bit iffy. If it looked like a normal Special I'd probably have just bought one!

The black might look cool with a rough copper looking pickguard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    I played a blue one, great guitars and that is a great price. At that price, paint flaws or a funny nut is irrelevant to me. 
    Exactly. Such issues are still fairly common on Gibsons 4x the price anyway.
    I certainly wouldn't balk at the cost of getting one of these juniors set up.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7192
    Looks like a pig with lipstick on. Meh
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Can anyone confirm what size the frets actually are on these? They say medium jumbo but some reviews online seem to disagree with this.. I hate small frets so this would put me off buying one, otherwise I'm very tempted to get one right now!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3421
    edited May 2020
    I've got one.  It's great at the things you'd expect it to be great at i.e. overdriven rock sounds.

The nut isn't cut too well and the g string binds a bit. It's a bit irritating rather than a major issue.

Gibson told me to contact the dealer to get it sorted. But in my case that's DV247 so I'm not sure they'd help much.  I'll take it to my tech when lockdown permits. A new nut would be £40.

The scratchplate doesn't bother me one bit. No-one moans about the scratchplate on a prs s2 singlecut which is a similar looking thing. 
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    edited May 2020
    timmypix said:
    I would advise strongly against buying these blind. Bought one in the clearance in January and I went through 4 or 5 across different shops before I found one that didn't have paint flaws, a badly cut nut or sharp fret ends.
    Agreed. I've played 3 and they ranged from challenging to absolutely horrific. Couldn't temp me at half the money, I'd still go Harley Benton or Vintage, and I generally like Gibsons lower priced offerings having had a bit of a Melody Maker fetish for a while a couple of years back.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2712
    Still reminisce on the days of the £250 Amazon Black Friday deals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Theyre cool. 

I bought a brown one back when every store was blowing them out at that price. 

Took it back 2 weeks later and swapped it for a Junior and paid the extra. No reason to except I wanted to and this was a cheapish gateway drug. 

Yeah the fret ends werent as nice as the Junior, but its about on par as an Ibanez I have which was £650. 

Could use a little filing. 

Gig bag smelt of gone off lumpy milk though. Which I couldnt get over.. 

But the main issue was the baby photo it came with. 

The bastards capture the lower bouts beautifully but left the upper half of the guitar to the imagination. 
    Thus I could not be 100% sure the entire guitar was made in America. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    Ah! I really wanted to get a Open G or slide guitar.

So tempted.

Don't tell the wife!!!! 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2459
    edited May 2020
    JRgtar said:
    Although get a good one and it’s a great deal. I bought a Les Paul Tribute last year and have to say it’s fantastic in finish and sound. Agree with buying blind though, always a bit risky unless you can be bothered with potential returns.

Absolutely. I bought it thinking it would be a curiosity and I adore it. The P90's an angry little sod but behaves when told, the satin finish feels amazing and it's just a lovely guitar to play!
    Tim
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2411
    GuitarGuitar are now blowing this model out brand new for £549 in all colours, suddenly making £599 for a used example not seem all that attractive...

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190319340829008--gibson-les-paul-special-tribute-dc-worn-cherry
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1334
    whats the returns policy ? would the shop be open mid june ?which i think the govs looking at doing ?just so i could return it to newcastle branch 
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    edited May 2020
    Gibson's customers are like abused spouses - they know it's bad for them, they know Gibson treat them like shit, but yet they come back anyway...

You all know they've had - and continue to have - massive QC issues. You know they're perpetually cost-cutting at the expense of quality. You know they treat their employees like crap. You know they are more concerned about maximising profits rather than making good guitars. Why do you still buy from them?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    danny_777 said:
    Gibson's customers are like abused spouses - they know it's bad for them, they know Gibson treat them like shit, but yet they come back anyway...

You all know they've had - and continue to have - massive QC issues. You know they're perpetually cost-cutting at the expense of quality. You know they treat their employees like crap. You know they are more concerned about maximising profits rather than making good guitars. Why do you still buy from them?
    mojo innit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    @TTBZ - I couldn't give you an exact size but I also hate small frets, and the couple I've played definitely weren't too small for me.
    edited May 2020
    danny_777 said:

Yep I agree it does annoy me! The logical part of my brain says to look elsewhere but I just know I enjoy playing Gibson style guitars more. That said after sleeping on it I think my next guitar might be either a PRS or a Tele - really liked the last Tele I played, and I've loved every PRS I've tried. Even the SE series feel more consistent and better (QC wise) than a lot of Gibson stuff to me.