Why isn’t there a measurement standard for necks?

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    A very skinny neck is 20mm thick.  A very fat one is 24mm thick.  Most fall between 22-23mm

A very narrow neck it 40mm wide at the nut.  A very wide one is 45mm.  Most fall between 42-43mm

The differences between most guitars are tiny... Yet they can make a very big difference to the feel.   

Those are the easy measurements to standardise, so are the ones that do often make it into a spec sheet

Only way to standardise profile shape across the industry would be to remove all hand done processes altogether across all guitar factories.   Personally, I don't think anyone benefits from that.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73033
    One of the real problems is that so many people use mutually exclusive terms... like "nice fat".

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 670
    Frets are standardised and hand dressed.
    Pickups are handmade but impedance is spec'd.
    Everything can be described by measurement.
    I'm just curious why the back of the neck has this unquestionable aura around it that one must never accurately define it or we will all lose the ability to choose the right guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    darius said:
    I'm curious to know how you think it may be possible.

OK, well. Someone has decided necks are C's and D's and U's and V's so they already have vague unhelpful standard descriptions. Every guitar manufacturer has decided their own version of neck shape description. Why not define an international standard C, D, U, V blah blah, with actual dimensions. Why does the fingerboard get the (apparently) impossible to define shape dimension but not the neck?

the fingerboard is easy to measure because it's a segment of a circle with a defined radius. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rico said:
    darius said:

OK, well. Someone has decided necks are C's and D's and U's and V's so they already have vague unhelpful standard descriptions. Every guitar manufacturer has decided their own version of neck shape description. Why not define an international standard C, D, U, V blah blah, with actual dimensions. Why does the fingerboard get the (apparently) impossible to define shape dimension but not the neck?

the fingerboard is easy to measure because it's a segment of a circle with a defined radius. 

and the neck is series of blended defined radii.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3892
    darius said:

Because there are too many variables in a complex neck shape to present in a simple form that an average player would understand. Below are some “possible” neck shapes. How would you condense those into a set of numbers. If we took a simple arc of a circle we have the radius and the angle of the segment.  But neck shapes are not that simple!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23592
    darius said:

Who's going to define this international standard?  Who's going to get manufacturers to comply with it?  How many different standard shapes would be defined?  Will your standard C, D, U, V etc always have to be the exact same width and thickness, or could they be scaled up or down?

I've had Us that feel like Cs and Vs where the V is barely perceptible.  Your D may be my shallow U.  A few extra seconds on a sanding machine can make a neck feel completely different.  It's too subjective.

WezV said:
    A very skinny neck is 20mm thick.  A very fat one is 24mm thick.  Most fall between 22-23mm

And I'd say 24mm is still a tad on the slim side.....!
    Philly_Q said:

I've had Us that feel like Cs and Vs where the V is barely perceptible.  Your D may be my shallow U.  A few extra seconds on a sanding machine can make a neck feel completely different.  It's too subjective.

WezV said:

And I'd say 24mm is still a tad on the slim side.....!

mic drop
    drofluf said:
    darius said:

Because there are too many variables in a complex neck shape to present in a simple form that an average player would understand. Below are some “possible” neck shapes. How would you condense those into a set of numbers. If we took a simple arc of a circle we have the radius and the angle of the segment.  But neck shapes are not that simple!

I could dimension every single one of your design drawings, make them and measure them to show conformance within a micron.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14755
    darius said:
    why?
    Because
    /Thread.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3360
    I work in technical manufacturing. Some things are more work to develop a universal standard for than it's worth.
    Reminded me of this:
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png
    darius said:
    why?
    Because
    /Thread.
    Yeah. I think you’re right. 
    Chewy. Turn the ship around. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    edited May 2020
    darius said:
    drofluf said:
    darius said:

I could dimension every single one of your design drawings, make them and measure them to show conformance within a micron.
    And do you think you could also accurately cut and shape wood to the same level of accuracy. 

Those drawings may only represent one section of the neck.  Could be a V at first fret, C by 7th and D by 12th... All offset towards the bass side

Reminds me of an old Gibson customs shop vid where they were recreating a famous 335, including its neck profile.  They took scans, did casts, carved the neck with CNC precision.. Then handed the guitar to a guy working the big sander to make sure it actually felt right
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    There are two standards. 

1. Esp’s Thin U. 
    2. Sub-standards. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3699
    The variation in neck shape between two of the same model does have an advantage: it increases the possibility that you'll find the neck that fits you perfectly. 

It's all part of the fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thread derailing -
    I’m not requesting standardised necks. 
    Just a standard way of describing every neck. 
    This would be useful IN ADDITION to trying every guitar you want to try. And it’s the same as already happens with most of the rest of a guitar. 
    Information helps erm inform. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11749
    tFB Trader
    When I build a series of guitars I aim for a similar shaping and size overall 
    For example on the 20th and 25th anniversary guitars I specified 
    Width:43mm at the nut and 57mm at the last fret
    Depth: 21.5mm at the 1st fret and 23.5 at the 12th fret 

There is still a huge amount of variation available within those parameters, especially with something that is hand shaped 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

@FelineGuitars How do you know when you’ve achieved the final neck shape that you are aiming for? Is it a feel thing or are you comparing measurements?
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1509
    As someone who has bought an 20th Anniversary Lion from @FelineGuitars , I can tell you that he has the buyer check for the final feel and that is how it is determined.  It is all about feel.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11749
    tFB Trader
    As a general rule I like my necks to be hand shaped - or at least the right shape to accommodate your hand when playing chords

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!