Fender Custom Shop v American Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7319
    American Vintage line was the best in my opinion (of the factory run fenders). Better than AVRI, and personally preferable to the American Original Series. I’ve played a few, and they’ve all been exceptional. I wouldn’t hesitate in picking up another either. I’d say in my experience, CS just feel like a well played in good example of an American Vintage. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    the American Vintage or reissues never have the tasty lacquer checking though do they? or do they?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's heading down the rabbit hole here guys. I think it's unrealistic to say if I didn't have a spare 5k lying about for a new guitar I'd get the CS or get a pre CBS (which you can manage on Jags).

I honestly think a 62 AVRI Jag might be the way forward (I don't like the CBS era binding on the 60s original they have out now - superficial I know but whores will have their trinkets)
    I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind - rolling in from a distance.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    the American Vintage or reissues never have the tasty lacquer checking though do they? or do they?

This is exactly why I think an American original would be perfect for me because I couldn't give less of a shit about things like lacquer checking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    tony99 said:

This is exactly why I think an American original would be perfect for me because I couldn't give less of a shit about things like lacquer checking.
    Actually I think if I get another Strat I would like a NOS one without the checking or relic.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5509
    It's heading down the rabbit hole here guys. I think it's unrealistic to say if I didn't have a spare 5k lying about for a new guitar I'd get the CS or get a pre CBS (which you can manage on Jags).

I honestly think a 62 AVRI Jag might be the way forward (I don't like the CBS era binding on the 60s original they have out now - superficial I know but whores will have their trinkets)
    The AV65 is worth looking at too. Slightly bigger neck - the downside is the “flash coat” lacquer chips off really easily, it’s pretty fragile. 
    tony99 said:

is there stuff on it that you can't get on other fender issues other than a nitro finish?
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

is there stuff on it that you can't get on other fender issues other than a nitro finish?

Big chunky neck
    Pickups

tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

The nitro finish is what drove me to the road worn, it’s the only one outside CS isn’t it?
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

The nitro finish is what drove me to the road worn, it’s the only one outside CS isn’t it?
    I think the majority of these american vintage, AVRI and re-issues have some form of nitro but not normally relic'd. Yours is ace.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9598
    I think you should do a blindfold challenge, 12 Fenders, Mexican, Japanese, USA and CS. 3 each, all the same gloss necks, may be same radius and perhaps try find them all around 7.5lbs and all set up by a tech and then see how you rank them.
    I wasn’t blindfolded, but I played about 20 different models back to back and the 2 best were a cs and a suhr
    chris78 said:
    I think you should do a blindfold challenge, 12 Fenders, Mexican, Japanese, USA and CS. 3 each, all the same gloss necks, may be same radius and perhaps try find them all around 7.5lbs and all set up by a tech and then see how you rank them.
    I wasn’t blindfolded, but I played about 20 different models back to back and the 2 best were a cs and a suhr
    I think you should try it, see the difference.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    CS for me, but not because I think the wood or build quality is intrinsically “better”. The finish is better though. And in many cases the pickups and final setup. 

AV were nitro, but the most recent iteration had a very brittle nitro formulation that flakes off in large chunks at the slightest knock. CS nitro seems more robust while maintaining the ability to age authentically. And the wearing in on CS finishes is worth an upcharge imo.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11518
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

American Original is nitro, as were the AVRIs before them.

You can find great ones in any price range.  If a really good piece of wood turns up in the Mexican factory, they aren't going to say "Oh, it's too good for us, let's send it to the Custom Shop."

They do vary.  I have a really good AVRI Strat that I bought new about 17 years ago.  I used to go into shops to try amps (before my Lazy J cured me of amp gas) and if they had an AVRI Strat, I would use it to try the amp - because it was supposedly the same as mine.  I never found another as good as mine.

I think you might have to try around 12 Mexican guitars, 8 or 10 American Vintage/Original, and 3 or 4 CS to find a really great one
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    I'd like an AVRI just for the 7.25 radius. The majority of CS's are 9.5+. 

I would say the CS thing isn't necessarily about how good it is vs standard issues, it's about being able to order a guitar exactly as you want it, the selection of woods (best pieces go to CS) and the additional time it takes to age the finish and do things like rolling the fretboard. This isn't to say of course all CS guitars will be better.

No one really knows exactly what it is that makes one guitar better than another of exact same spec, but if you do, you should start a guitar company. 

I'm after a 59/60's AVRI if anyone sees one. 
    edited May 2020
    Barnezy said:
    I'd like an AVRI just for the 7.25 radius. The majority of CS's are 9.5+. 

I would say the CS thing isn't necessarily about how good it is vs standard issues, it's about being able to order a guitar exactly as you want it, the selection of woods (best pieces go to CS) and the additional time it takes to age the finish and do things like rolling the fretboard. This isn't to say of course all CS guitars will be better.

No one really knows exactly what it is that makes one guitar better than another of exact same spec, but if you do, you should start a guitar company. 

I'm after a 59/60's AVRI if anyone sees one. 
    Is it me but they seem to go for like £1300? Like the new price?

2004 Fender Stratocaster (1957 reissue) Sunburst
    https://reverb.com/item/33106166-2004-fender-stratocaster-1957-reissue-sunburst?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=33106166

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    edited May 2020
    CS Fenders and Gibsons and objectively better. Better woods and wiring and hardware and bodies and necks and tuners and everything. Coupled with better worksmanship, they are objectively better guitars.

But subjectively? Well that's an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

People on forums with AVRIs will say AVRIs are better.
    People on forums with MiMs will say that MiMs are better.
    People on forums with CSs will say CSs are better.

The only way you can know what is best for you is by playing them. But of course 9/10 of us on forums don't have that luxury of living near the bigger stores.

If you are buying online, buy the guitar you like the look of the most. That is what will keep you picking it up and playing it.

tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    CS Fenders and Gibsons and objectively better. Better woods and wiring and hardware and bodies and necks and tuners and everything. Coupled with better worksmanship, they are objectively better guitars.

Not really sure that's entirely true.

Wiring, hardware and pickups are all going to be much of a muchness at that level.

Swimming pool tops is one thing but a lump of alder? it's not magic.

I think finishing is a clear difference but it depends if you care. I'd rather have a box fresh guitar and mark it up with playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    They buy wood by the bulk and then cut in house to size, sure the CS would buy better wood, as you would hope so, can you imagine they buy the same and split them across all the factories? Confirmation bias would never accept that.

but since Wood is organic, there will be bad wood amongst the CS stock and there would be great wood amongst the Mexican stock.

since the design of the guitar is a bolt on, everything else can be fixed, frets, hardware, set up can be fixed. Off the wall sure the CS can be better but it’s not a Gibson where the neck is set so if it’s bad, it will always be bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deadgratefuldeadgrateful Frets: 177
    I’ve always found the vintage reissue line (avri, original series etc) to be spot on and can’t really see the value in fenders custom shop, other than the more interesting combination of finishes, relicing and pickups. If you’ve got the extra cash though, it’s definitely a nice option to have...

Gibsons on the other hand are a different beast. The standard USA line always feel a bit poorly constructed with overly thick finishes and construction flaws all over the place. The historic and to some extent standard custom shop line feels in a totally different league and is well worth the higher price (imo).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom