Fender Custom Shop v American Reissue

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• francerfrancer Frets: 369
    Just a little bit of info for those who might not be familiar with them, there have been three iterations of US reissue Fenders since 1999, and I think there were some Strats and Teles before that??

American Vintage ReIssue (aka AVRI) mostly 62 specs, 1999 to 2012
    American Vintage 65 (aka AV65 or whatever year for Strats and Teles) 2012 to 2018
    American Original (aka AO) 2018 to present

There have also been limited edition ‘thin skin’ versions of each these runs too.

They all have different specs and finishes, but AFAIK they’re all some kind of nitro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    American vintage came before AVRI. I have a 57 American Vintage. Nasty vintage white poly finish but incredible neck and insanely resonant and loud acoustically. It's a beast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    American vintage came before AVRI. I have a 57 American Vintage. Nasty vintage white poly finish but incredible neck and insanely resonant and loud acoustically. It's a beast
    Nope, it didn’t. American Vintage Reissue (AVRI) was before the 2012 (and largely superior) American Vintage range. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    Nope, it didn’t. American Vintage Reissue (AVRI) was before the 2012 (and largely superior) American Vintage range. 
    This. 
    I already had my 62 AVRI and nearly pulled the trigger on a 59 American Vintage strat. 
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    dc77 said:
    This. 
    I already had my 62 AVRI and nearly pulled the trigger on a 59 American Vintage strat. 
    There were some USA vintage reissues in the early 90s, definitely strats, not sure about anything else, and maybe not described as AVRI, but they do exist.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15223
    The first round of American Fender Vintage reissue instruments was 1982. Butterscotch Tele, maple ‘board Strat, rosewood ‘board Strat, two P Basses, one J. These ended in 1985 with the Bill Shultz-led take over.

This is where the 57/62 thing originates. For both years, there had been instrument specification changes that could be exploited in the present day for commercial advantage. Fidelity to 1957 and 1962 specs are debatable.

In some circles, the first run of vintage re-issues is more highly prized than any of the subsequent variants. I suspect that this has more to do with scarcity than the intrinsic merits of the instruments.

I am fortunate to have instruments from either side of the 2012/13 divide. On the examples I have handled, the claims for more extensive research and greater attention to detail are borne out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    I weren't aware of the Vintage Reissue prior to the AVRI.
    Good stuff. Cheers  :)
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    INCORRECT SIR! HOW VERY DARE YOU ;)

Mine is this exact model

https://vintageandrareguitars.com/product/1995-fender-american-vintage-57-stratocaster-olympic-white/

Highly recommend it - I put a set of BK Veneer boards in there.

Lovely guitar.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13366
    Fender are really annoying in many ways.

If you're like me and you quite fancy a "proper" Fender strat but you want a colour thats not sunburst  (ugh) or black (pass the slippers grandad) there are so few options. It's really annoying being forced "up" the ranges to get interesting colours when the whole point of the strat and tele was to mass produce guitars - which should make it easier to produce some interesting ones! 
  • Fender are really annoying in many ways.

If you're like me and you quite fancy a "proper" Fender strat but you want a colour thats not sunburst  (ugh) or black (pass the slippers grandad) there are so few options. It's really annoying being forced "up" the ranges to get interesting colours when the whole point of the strat and tele was to mass produce guitars - which should make it easier to produce some interesting ones! 

I know what you mean. One of my favourite colours from Fender is Sherwood green but you see so few examples of any guitars in this colour 
    I can see you know nothing of wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind - rolling in from a distance.

• danny_777 said:
    I'm a big fan of Fender CS, at the right price - they're genuinely brilliant guitars. You'll get one for under £2k with some effort and a bit of patience, and if bought right it'll hold its value.

That said one of my favourite Teles after going through a LOT of them is a MIJ '62 Reissue. Just a brilliant guitar.

They're all bits of wood - play enough and you'll find one. It's just a bit more consistent with the CS stuff!

Pretty much my best Strat is a MIJ 54 (I think) Reissue from the early 90s. But the prices for those are going up sharply as well.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.