I am losing my taste in guitars and I'm so happy

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I have mid-life crisis lust for an Ibanez RG550. I remember drooling over an 80s Ibanez catalogue.

I like all of the above, though I'm not keen on the aesthetics of HSS pickup layouts.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have mid-life crisis lust for an Ibanez RG550. I remember drooling over an 80s Ibanez catalogue.

I like all of the above, though I'm not keen on the aesthetics of HSS pickup layouts.

I found these having realised that shreddy ibby guitars are rising in value it seems. I have always wanted an ibanez Sabre (now "s prestige") but they're expensive! 

The Ltd super strat above looks amazing. I love HSS (or even HS) - single coil in the neck is such a useful sound, and Emgs being noiseless means you can pile on the gain somewhat. 

I really want it. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    The first LTD was one of the best guitars I've owned.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited May 2020
    Schnozz said:
    The first LTD was one of the best guitars I've owned.

I used to have a H1001 (sold to @FelineGuitars) - it was ugly, with all the binding, but it was solid as a rock, really easy to play, resonant and just a fantastic guitar. Probably my best ever. Also had a compensated nut, which helps somewhat when tapping chords out if you're into math rock... 

Regret selling it, should have just had a fret job and new pots and kept it... Had a set neck, but very deeply set with a very generous carve so it felt like a through neck. Miss it terribly! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23592
    I thought the thread was going to be about a complete loss of GAS and therefore no temptation to spend anything.

I'm not particularly drawn to any them, although they're all quite nice apart from the Epiphone which is all kinds of wrong.  But there does seem to be a bit of a resurgence of Floyds and superstrats going on.  I wonder if that's because (as @ICBM hinted) all the middle-aged blokes who owned (or wanted) those guitars 30 years ago have now been through a long "sensible" phase of buying Teles and Les Pauls and now they're suddenly hankering for their youth again.  And there's a lot of hair-growing going on during lockdown...

Even I'm finding myself looking at superstrats, and I never really liked them first time round.

Jetfire said:
    However, the Jazz Box LTD is kinda making my trousers feel funny...
    If it had hunbuggies I'd be all over it. 
    Which is why the pickups are humbucker sized and easily replaced.  They had you in mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited May 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    I thought the thread was going to be about a complete loss of GAS and therefore no temptation to spend anything.

I'm not particularly drawn to any them, although they're all quite nice apart from the Epiphone which is all kinds of wrong.  But there does seem to be a bit of a resurgence of Floyds and superstrats going on.  I wonder if that's because (as @ICBM hinted) all the middle-aged blokes who owned (or wanted) those guitars 30 years ago have now been through a long "sensible" phase of buying Teles and Les Pauls and now they're suddenly hankering for their youth again.  And there's a lot of hair-growing going on during lockdown...

Even I'm finding myself looking at superstrats, and I never really liked them first time round.

Jetfire said:
    However, the Jazz Box LTD is kinda making my trousers feel funny...
    If it had hunbuggies I'd be all over it. 
    Which is why the pickups are humbucker sized and easily replaced.  They had you in mind.

The prices are definitely on the up. Not long ago you'd find prestige ibbys for less than £500 used. I used to have a taxi cab yellow BC Rich gunslinger. Made in Korea, super distortion pickup, genuine original Floyd (not Floyd 1000 or "licensed by" but the real deal), grover tuners... Paid £200 for that beaut. Rare now, and when they are for sale they're closer to £500 (they were cleared out back in the day at £300!).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23592
    edited May 2020
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    I used to have a taxi cab yellow BC Rich gunslinger. Made in Korea, super distortion pickup, genuine original Floyd (not Floyd 1000 or "licensed by" but the real deal), grover tuners... Paid £200 for that beaut. Rare now, and when they are for sale they're closer to £500 (they were cleared out back in the day at £300!).
    I can remember playing one of those at a Bare Knuckle forum get-together.  Maybe not the exact same model but it was yellow and it was a Gunslinger.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    axisus said:
    I like the first three. but not the glitter one. Glitter guitars never.

I really want a glitter guitar, I think they're so tacky and tasteless and wonderful. 
    Glittery guitars are ace!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4261
    edited May 2020
    Glittery? EMG? Floyd? Hmm, seems like I have no choice but to wheel this out again...

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    I sort of like that ltd semi ...:)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    First one is sexual. But I am a fan of esp in general.. except my latest experiences.. hopefully they were 2 in a million.. 

Andertons are knocking out 3 1000 series Snappers in white for £600. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Not a fan of the first one (bit too busy for me) but I like the others!
  • Okay we have a winner. Now I need to find about £1100 down the back of sofa... 

yeah, I can't afford it... 
  • Glittery? EMG? Floyd? Hmm, seems like I have no choice but to wheel this out again...

I need to know what this is
  • skunkwerx said:
    First one is sexual. But I am a fan of esp in general.. except my latest experiences.. hopefully they were 2 in a million.. 

I actually love this, but I already have a pretty classic strat and it's a bit too close to classic... 

Great price for the hardware though. 

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    skunkwerx said:

I actually love this, but I already have a pretty classic strat and it's a bit too close to classic... 

Great price for the hardware though. 

It is! It crossed my mind, but I have 5 guitars now and I feel like its already too many and there is at least 3 I really want still... 

First world problems or what! Haha.

I always aimed to get one of the Te models, as I fancied a tele but with the esp styling and appointments.. ended up with a Fender as at the time I just couldnt find any in stock anywhere.. 

Now I see their new tele line up and the gas returns lmfao.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Glittery? EMG? Floyd? Hmm, seems like I have no choice but to wheel this out again...

Short answer is I’m not exactly sure: It’s a Performance, and from looking at their website it looks like the Corsair is the closest match. It was originally bought in parts from them and assembled by Charlie Chandler, apparently. From there it made its way to my friend, and then to me. I had it refinished by @lamf68 who also filled in where the middle single-coil originally was; finally it was put back together, wired up and fettled by Jon at @FelineGuitars. I’ve swapped one of the pickups since: it had an 81/85 set but I’m not a huge fan of the 85 so I swapped it for another 81.

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Okay we have a winner. Now I need to find about £1100 down the back of sofa... 

yeah, I can't afford it... 

This is similar and a little bit cheaper:

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24855

Short answer is I’m not exactly sure: It’s a Performance, and from looking at their website it looks like the Corsair is the closest match. It was originally bought in parts from them and assembled by Charlie Chandler, apparently. From there it made its way to my friend, and then to me. I had it refinished by @lamf68 who also filled in where the middle single-coil originally was; finally it was put back together, wired up and fettled by Jon at @FelineGuitars. I’ve swapped one of the pickups since: it had an 81/85 set but I’m not a huge fan of the 85 so I swapped it for another 81.
    The 85 is a terrible neck pickup. Too much flub.
    It is however an excellent bright pickup - far more balanced than the 81 unless the aim is just for the brewtals.

I've had a couple of guitars with the Zakk Wylde set and have swapped them round - 85 at the bridge and 81 at the neck. Very versatile that way.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Glittery? EMG? Floyd? Hmm, seems like I have no choice but to wheel this out again...

The 85 is a terrible neck pickup. Too much flub.
    It is however an excellent bright pickup - far more balanced than the 81 unless the aim is just for the brewtals.

I've had a couple of guitars with the Zakk Wylde set and have swapped them round - 85 at the bridge and 81 at the neck. Very versatile that way.

Totally agree. I think zakk is all about that "liquid lead" neck tone, where notes seem to bleed into each other when shredding, rather than being clearly defined. I don't like the 85 full stop to be honest! I tried Duncan blackouts and loved them... 

81s in a pair worked for a friend of mine.