I am losing my taste in guitars and I'm so happy

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4404
    Glittery? EMG? Floyd? Hmm, seems like I have no choice but to wheel this out again...

I need to know what this is
    Short answer is I’m not exactly sure: It’s a Performance, and from looking at their website it looks like the Corsair is the closest match. It was originally bought in parts from them and assembled by Charlie Chandler, apparently. From there it made its way to my friend, and then to me. I had it refinished by @lamf68 who also filled in where the middle single-coil originally was; finally it was put back together, wired up and fettled by Jon at @FelineGuitars. I’ve swapped one of the pickups since: it had an 81/85 set but I’m not a huge fan of the 85 so I swapped it for another 81.
    The 85 is a terrible neck pickup. Too much flub.
    It is however an excellent bright pickup - far more balanced than the 81 unless the aim is just for the brewtals.

I've had a couple of guitars with the Zakk Wylde set and have swapped them round - 85 at the bridge and 81 at the neck. Very versatile that way.

Totally agree. I think zakk is all about that "liquid lead" neck tone, where notes seem to bleed into each other when shredding, rather than being clearly defined. I don't like the 85 full stop to be honest! I tried Duncan blackouts and loved them... 

81s in a pair worked for a friend of mine. 

I tune down to C so I prefer the tightness of the 81. It works surprisingly nicely as a neck pickup too, i was quite surprised tbh
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    EMG85 is really a bridge pickup and sounds bad in the neck IMO
    81 works better as a neck pickup as it is bass light and tighter as it is ceramic
    60 and 60A both work in the neck
    I also liked the 58 in the neck and it's great in the bridge 
    My Dredd guitar has an EMG 58 as it's sole pickup, although hard to see as it's painted over

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EMG85 is really a bridge pickup and sounds bad in the neck IMO
    81 works better as a neck pickup as it is bass light and tighter as it is ceramic
    60 and 60A both work in the neck
    I also liked the 58 in the neck and it's great in the bridge 
    My Dredd guitar has an EMG 58 as it's sole pickup, although hard to see as it's painted over

Everytime I see it, I twitch in my pants 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That puple ltd looks killer
  • This has INSANE specs for the price. QC is pretty poor from what I hear, but I'd probably be willing to take a risk. I'd like to know whether the bridge is replaceable with a hipshot for quality materials... 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_amarok_6_bkrd_quilted_burst.htm

Tusq nut, stainless steel frets (!), emg retroactives, arched top and, it looks like, a proper maple cap (with pretty veneer - binding looks to be scraped, but could be a piece of maple wrapped around?!). Locking grovers, ebony board and glowing position markers. Nuts value. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4404
    This has INSANE specs for the price. QC is pretty poor from what I hear, but I'd probably be willing to take a risk. I'd like to know whether the bridge is replaceable with a hipshot for quality materials... 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_amarok_6_bkrd_quilted_burst.htm

Tusq nut, stainless steel frets (!), emg retroactives, arched top and, it looks like, a proper maple cap (with pretty veneer - binding looks to be scraped, but could be a piece of maple wrapped around?!). Locking grovers, ebony board and glowing position markers. Nuts value. 

I saw these in a video on YouTube a couple of weeks ago and thought the same

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)