Gretsch Electromatics - thoughts?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27955
Gretsch is a brand that’s passed me by - I think of them as the thick bodied, semi-hollow, whammy-barred Brian Setzer guitars.

But this isn’t like that ...
https://youtu.be/GRPTy21FDvU

G5222 Electromatic DC - think Malcolm Young

Anyone had any hands-on experience?
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to have something similar, albeit it was a MiK one that was the top of the range of Electromatics at the time. It was a proper archtop, semi-hollow construction rather than a chambered solid body as I believe these MiC models are, but the general jist was similar.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/gretsch-g5655t-cb-electromatic-604360

It was pretty darned good to be honest, very well made. It whet my appetite for Gretsches in general, and I've now 'graduated' to a Japanese made 'Player's Edition' single cut, which is bloody brilliant.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7330
    Damn You Tony
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Really liking Lee's playing in that clip too, even more so than Pete's
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27955
    You should know better than to click a link like that @DrCornelius ;
    :D 

First you click the video link, then you click the BiN button ...
    TTony said:
    You should know better than to click a link like that @DrCornelius ;
    :D 

First you click the video link, then you click the BiN button ...
    It's like you are inside my head      # runs off to check tinfoil hat is still structurally sound #
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 131
    I have a g5220 it's a great guitar, and for the money it's an amazing guitar! Just be aware the stock bridge has no c clips on the saddles and the retainer wire is pretty useless so the bridge is very rattly. The intonation screws have a tendency work loose, apart from that nothing really needs to be upgraded, but if you want to go down that route they are a great modding platform. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14753
    I narrowly avoided buying a discounted Stump-o-matic signature model. 

At the time, the model was only offered in silver. I would have felt compelled to reconfigure the control circuitry. The fingerboard edges could have benefitted from better tumbling. The main thing that put me off was the combination of a high asking price and iffy build quality. (Eastwood Syndrome!)

In the end, I got my Gretsch kicks from a modified Telecaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27706
    I actually really dislike the boxy amp sounds in that Andertons clip, but I'm well convinced a good Gretsch is a marvellous thing. 

I had one of the mid 2000's-era hollow DC models (G5122 I think) into which I put TV Jones pickups and a compton bridge. It sounded BEASTLY - capable of all sorts from twang to snarl to shimmery and all the back again. I only sold it as I didn't get on with the neck profile and very low frets. I understand the latest ones are quite a good deal out of the box - certainly with much better pickups - so probably a good bet. 

I will definitely buy another at some point, most likely some sort of big-box singlecut, but for me it's likely to be a serendipitous sort of thing where I happen upon a really really good one, rather than going out searching for it. 

My favourite Grestchy tone is probably this. Muted through to chimey over the first minute or so. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un-rfEyPBO4
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    I used to own a G5420T in Aspen Green. I sold it because I ended up not using it much, but it struck me as being very good value for the money. There were a couple of small areas where the finish was less than perfect, but these very minor things aside, it was a very decent guitar.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    5422TG here... OK, I haven’t had it long and it’s still in honeymoon territory, but Phwoaaaarrr!

Other considerations aside I’m actually really liking that with the fully hollow construction there’s enough acoustic volume there to make it really satisfying to play without plugging in...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I have the Duo Jet Centre Block (Gretsch G5655T-CB) and love it. Apart from dropping it mid gig and bending the Bigsby arm (self-rectified now) it's a brilliant guitar. The Bigsby doesn't always perfectly go back to pitch after using it but a slight nudge and it regains tuning nicely. It's a resonant guitar and has a great bunch of tones. Rather neck-heavy but I do enjoy it.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    JayGee said:
    5422TG here... OK, I haven’t had it long and it’s still in honeymoon territory, but Phwoaaaarrr!

Other considerations aside I’m actually really liking that with the fully hollow construction there’s enough acoustic volume there to make it really satisfying to play without plugging in...
    I’ve had one of these three years now. The nut was changed to help with Bigsby tuning stability, but otherwise it’s a great guitar. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    Damn You Tony
    Tie him down someone. It's for his own good. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    JayGee said:

I’ve had one of these three years now. The nut was changed to help with Bigsby tuning stability, but otherwise it’s a great guitar. 
    Certainly no conspicuous tuning issues on mine, I think (along with other Electromatic models) it’s actually had quite a few tweaks along the way. 

Mine’s the “Limited Edition” version by the way in dark sparkly blue (or Midnight Sapphire as Gretsch call it in the catalogue) with gold plated hardware and it really is an absurdly classy piece of kit. In the unlikely situation that somebody didn’t like playing it you could just hang it on the wall, look at it from time and still feel you’d got your money’s worth...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    I narrowly avoided buying a discounted Stump-o-matic signature model. 

At the time, the model was only offered in silver. I would have felt compelled to reconfigure the control circuitry. The fingerboard edges could have benefitted from better tumbling. The main thing that put me off was the combination of a high asking price and iffy build quality. (Eastwood Syndrome!)

In the end, I got my Gretsch kicks from a modified Telecaster.
    I got a Stumpomatic on eBay for £150 with free shipping once. Just had one tiny ding. 
    Sold it to my cousin for £140. I’m nice like that!
    was a nice guitar, but the middle pickup added nothing to the mix, and no Bigbsy - which should be illegal on a Gretsch.  Cousin loves it. 
    I MUCH prefer my other Corvettes. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited June 2020
    JayGee said:

Mine’s the “Limited Edition” version by the way in dark sparkly blue (or Midnight Sapphire as Gretsch call it in the catalogue) with gold plated hardware and it really is an absurdly classy piece of kit. In the unlikely situation that somebody didn’t like playing it you could just hang it on the wall, look at it from time and still feel you’d got your money’s worth...

That sounds lovely. I’ve a walnut stain with gold hardware, as they didn’t do the limited runs when I got mine. Still looks amazing though, a kind of mini Country Gent. It’s a keeper now....
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    I got the G5222 natural in from Italy in April as Thomann were quoting their next delivery as 05.07, sold out everywhere else including Andertons! Stunning guitar for any price, absolutely flawless guitar straight from the box and plays amazing. Had a few Gretcsh years ago but this is a completely different sound than any other guitar I have and nails  ACDC/Malcolm Young! If these were 3 times the price they would in my opinion still give any other guitar a run for its money! Only work I did so far was oil the frets and change the strings! Cannot recommend highly enough.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27955
    Thanks @gregm.

That's exactly the model I was looking at.  Now just got to find somewhere with it in stock ...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    I’ve expressed my dissatisfaction with overpriced  Gretsch Electromatics here may times. Great guitars once you fix the numerous annoying foibles that come with them. 

However, it seems that they have got their act together lately, and guitars are arriving at dealers properly sorted.  

Not played this model, but it’s a stunner.  I’ve heard it’s an excellent well sorted beastie. 
    Can’t wait for this pandemic to pass so I can get out and play one.