SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted - Drum/Studio Mics

What's Hot
chenzmanchenzman Frets: 196
edited June 2020 in Studio & Rec £
Hi all,

as above, I’m looking to buy some sensibly priced drum/studio mics for home recording. I will likely go for close mic’ing and some curtains setup to try to control the sound of the kit as the room is not treated.

At present I have an SM57 which I understand can be used for the snare although seems to be subjective as to people liking this mic. I also have an Sm58 although don’t see this used much on drums.

Thinking along the lines of an AKG D112 for kick, Audix D2 & D4 for toms and some large diaphragm condensers for overheads which I could also use for vocals, guitars etc. 

I am of course open to suggestion and guidance for similar mics that will do a decent job.

Musically, I will be recording Punk/Rock and Metal, although flexibility would be great. Recording into a Focusrite 18i20 and Audient ID14.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Vince 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chenzmanchenzman Frets: 196
    Kick mic no longer needed, picked up an Audix D6. 

Still need some Tom mics and overheads. Could be open to small condensers like a set of Rode M5 or NT5 for sensible cash and then 1 x large condenser for room mic/vocals
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    edited June 2020
    Have you tried the D6?
    It is a *very* modern kick drum sound.
    Consider something like a Beyer M88 as well for those times you don't want to sound like Nickleback.

Also consider an 'outside' kick mic. Most LDC's are a good option for this.
    Before I got my U47fet I used a Rode NT1a.

For OH, SDC's are great but I really like ribbon mics. Currently using some AEA R84a's as OH's but there are cheaper ribbon mics available.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2435
    Who wouldn't want to sound like Nickelback?
    Stuckfast said:
    Who wouldn't want to sound like Nickelback?
    LOL.
    Point taken.
    I like ribbons as overheads too, but they can be problematic in an untreated room with a low ceiling. Not sure they'd be my first choice for metal but brilliant for a more thumpy classic rock sound.
    Stuckfast said:
    I like ribbons as overheads too, but they can be problematic in an untreated room with a low ceiling. Not sure they'd be my first choice for metal but brilliant for a more thumpy classic rock sound.
    Fair point.
    KM84's or mics based on them are probably more of a natural fit.
    Thanks for the input gents, although some of these suggestions are probably a bit over my budget and skill set.

The Audix was recommended by a sound engineer friend of mine, who said it would work great on floor toms too, I could also use it for a bass mic if needed.

He has recommended some SDC’s for overheads (well underheads in his current home lockdown setup) plus a room LDC. He mentioned he’s using E604’s for rack toms and AKG D112 for floor Tom.

I’ve seen some se electronics se3’s going for a sensible price, are these any good?
    In my brief experience of the SE3s I thought they were surprisingly good, but I haven't heard them on drums.

I'm not a fan of the D112 on anything though.
    Stuckfast said:
    In my brief experience of the SE3s I thought they were surprisingly good, but I haven't heard them on drums.

I'm not a fan of the D112 on anything though.
    Also not a fan of the D112.
    I genuinely can't fathom how this became popular.
    Any recommendations for Tom mics, at a sensible price?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    chenzman said:

As I mentioned by email I now use e604's for toms and they are great if you pick up used ones - if you buy new then a 3 pack works out a good deal rather than buying them separately.   
    For super cheap mics I like the shure pg pack - much better than pg vocal mics and very useable imo but I wouldn't go any cheaper.   
    Probably Audix D2 and D4's.
    D2 on rack toms, D4's on floor toms.

I've also used Audio Technica ATM25, Electro-voice RE20, Sennheiser MD421, CAD M179.

AKG 414 and Neumann U87 are good floor tom options too, I know they will be out of budget but worth mentioning.

John_P said:
    chenzman said:

As I mentioned by email I now use e604's for toms and they are great if you pick up used ones - if you buy new then a 3 pack works out a good deal rather than buying them separately.   
    For super cheap mics I like the shure pg pack - much better than pg vocal mics and very useable imo but I wouldn't go any cheaper.   
    Thanks John, just responded to your email. I’ll check out the PG pack but may go the E604 route if I can find some 2nd hand
    Not sure if you can still get the ATM25 new but I'd agree that's a good drum mic, works well on kick drum also. RE20s are cool but they cost an arm and a leg and they are huge.

My favourite dynamic mics on most drums are the old AKG D-series -- D202 on kick and/or floor tom, D224 or D19 on other toms. They are long discontinued and not very robust but you can sometimes pick them up quite cheaply on eBay. I bought a 202 for about 50 quid the other week.

Stuckfast said:
    Not sure if you can still get the ATM25 new but I'd agree that's a good drum mic, 

Only in Japan, I think.
    There are always loads on eBay.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3072
    I've collected a few mics over the last couple of years for my PA. I've ended up with the following:

Kick: Sennheiser e902 - I deliberately went for this as it is more natural sounding than others, esp. the D6.
    Snare: Beyerdynamic M201 - a great general purpose mic. I'm looking for another one of these as I gave mine to our drummer as a leaving present. Also use Shure SM57 - another versatile mic.
    Hi-hat: This is next on my purchase list. I'm not sure what I'll get, but I currently use an SM57, which is surprisingly effective.
    Toms: Sennheiser e904 - love these on toms. I have three.
    Overhead: Presonus SD7 small diaphragm condenser. I had these from a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile Recording Pack I picked up relatively cheaply some time ago. They're surprisingly good. I'm pretty sure they're rebadged Samson C02s.

R.
    Beyer M201 is my preferred snare mic.
    If I can't use that I use an Audix i5.
    SM57's are another mic I don't really see the appeal with.

OP- sorry, I seem to have derailed your WTB thread.
    octatonic said:
    Beyer M201 is my preferred snare mic.
    If I can't use that I use an Audix i5.
    SM57's are another mic I don't really see the appeal with.

OP- sorry, I seem to have derailed your WTB thread.
    Haha no worries, as I say I’m finding my feet with all this so suggestions are more than welcome 
    I've collected a few mics over the last couple of years for my PA. I've ended up with the following:

Kick: Sennheiser e902 - I deliberately went for this as it is more natural sounding than others, esp. the D6.
    Snare: Beyerdynamic M201 - a great general purpose mic. I'm looking for another one of these as I gave mine to our drummer as a leaving present. Also use Shure SM57 - another versatile mic.
    Hi-hat: This is next on my purchase list. I'm not sure what I'll get, but I currently use an SM57, which is surprisingly effective.
    Toms: Sennheiser e904 - love these on toms. I have three.
    Overhead: Presonus SD7 small diaphragm condenser. I had these from a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile Recording Pack I picked up relatively cheaply some time ago. They're surprisingly good. I'm pretty sure they're rebadged Samson C02s.

R.
    Thanks for your input Robin
  • What's your budget vince?

Bye!