NOW WITH NGD: Should I buy a new US 50s Tele?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    The 70's Tele they have is lovely, but sadly out of budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7322
    The 70's Tele they have is lovely, but sadly out of budget.
    10lbs too! 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    10lbs Telecaster? What is it made out of!? Lead?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14772
    Get a hotrod and change the pickups and pickguard 

Get an AVRI and have it refretted and profiled

Or just get a new one which has the features I want.
    HR neck profile, Blackguard, “Twangy” single coil pickups all present and correct in the OGRW Tele-bration model.

Possible downsides, Twisted Tele (Strat-voiced) neck position pickup, 1962 style magnet stagger bridge position pickup and post-2012 American Standard bridge with bent steel saddles.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9605
    Just spoken to Peach they don't have one and say they are unlikely to be able to get any more for several months as Fender have a huge backlog.

That is making me lean more towards just ordering one from somewhere that does have stock.

They’ve got 2 broadcasters and I’d want to try one of those if I were you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8849
    ICBM said:
    There are two sensible ways to buy a guitar.

1 - try every guitar you can find, whether you think you like it or not. Buy the one that you find that fits you and sounds right. This can take as little or as much time as you want.

2 - just buy the guitar that you think you want. Sometimes life is too short for complicated drawn-out decision-making.

I'm very guilty of doing the first a lot, but actually some of the best guitars I've ever owned - a few of which I've still got, in some cases decades later - were bought simply because I knew I wanted one.
    Option 2. If you’re an accountant then you can cost up the deciding and buying process, even at minimum wage rates. It often exceeds the price. You can also divide what you pay for the guitar by the number of hours you play it. As a activity it’s cheaper than drinking beer. If possible buy secondhand so that you can sell it on without too much loss if you don’t like it. It’s easy to get hung up on the price of a guitar. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    The American Originals are a sweet spot spec I think, just check weight before you buy, Fender don’t seem capable of building anything less than 8.5lbs outside of the custom shop at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    I went through this process last year. I liked the AO 50s Tele but the neck was a bit chunky compared to the 2008 AVRI I ended up with. I got used to the small frets and 7.25 radius straight away. Fab guitars though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

I have to say, I've wanted an AV52 Blackguard for as long as I can remember. It's never been at the top of the GAS list though, so it's not quite happened yet. I'd want a post 2012 AV myself, but that's only because i'm happier with little frets and a 7.25 given the choice. I am however now at my self imposed limit of three electrics, and that rule is the only one I've ever consistently stuck to, so it may not happen. 

save for some kind of unexpected windfall etc etc
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4067
    Richard Henry has a nice looking Road Worn on his Instagram today, think it’s £895.
    Richard Henry has a nice looking Road Worn on his Instagram today, think it’s £895.
    ha! they were about £750 new weren't they?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Yeah, balls to that.

My mate had one. It's just a Mex Tele that someone has taken a belt sander to.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052

These roadworn series really do hold their value well!

I think I saw a tele on eBay/reverb 2 weeks ago for about £550 though.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4067
    Yeah, it’s a bit steep, I sold one a few years back for about £500 but they have crept up. They are nice guitars though.
    tFB Trader
    Pulled the trigger on one with a Dawsons price match from PMT.

Should be with me tomorrow :)

Given the price I could get it for new was £1399 and the fact that they are going SH on Ebay for over £1100 it seemed daft not to just get a new one.

Given the price I could get it for new was £1399 and the fact that they are going SH on Ebay for over £1100 it seemed daft not to just get a new one.
    immediate pics on arrival plz
    tFB Trader

Will do!

I've always wanted one and I don't plan on selling it so buying new seemed like the obvious thing to do.

Every AVRI I've seen looks like half the lacquer has come off so I decided I'd rather have an Original and from a bit of digging they sell really well new (hence Fender UK have run out of them and can't get more), but don't come up SH that often and when they do they hold their value really well.

Will do!

I've always wanted one and I don't plan on selling it so buying new seemed like the obvious thing to do.

Every AVRI I've seen looks like half the lacquer has come off so I decided I'd rather have an Original and from a bit of digging they sell really well new (hence Fender UK have run out of them and can't get more), but don't come up SH that often and when they do they hold their value really well.
    seems a wise choice. my utter devotion to a 7.25" radius has been well and truly thrown by my new Rics anyhow, so Id quite possibly have done the same... though I do still prefer small frets. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27750
    Nice! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    Bit late to this but I picked up an American Original 60s custom. If the 50s version lives up to the same level, you are in for a treat. I haven’t picked up any of my other guitars since. Hope it goes well
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024