NOW WITH NGD: Should I buy a new US 50s Tele?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17893
    tFB Trader
    I'm really pleased with it so far.

The neck is a touch sticky as you expect with a new nitro guitar, but I think lots of playing will fix that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7322
    I'm really pleased with it so far.

The neck is a touch sticky as you expect with a new nitro guitar, but I think lots of playing will fix that.
    That or a sheet of 1500 micro-mesh 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    edited June 2020
    Nice guitar!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Lovely.....
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    Very lovely indeed. Excellent purchase.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    That’s lovely, and great weight! 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    Richard Henry has a nice looking Road Worn on his Instagram today, think it’s £895.
    ha! they were about £750 new weren't they?!
    Yeah, it’s a bit steep, I sold one a few years back for about £500 but they have crept up. They are nice guitars though.
    I had arranged to buy it off the original seller last week, but we couldn't sort out collection, no biggie.

But it was a lot cheaper than that.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    Barrivee said:
    Try and find one of these - a Larrivee Bakersfield. Check out the spec online it’s sounds like just what you’re looking for. 
    I was going to offer you mine, but I’ve just ordered some new p/up’s instead to keep me interested. 
    They pop up on Reverb occasionally or eBay in the US so you need to factor in that inconvenience. 
    When I ordered this from the US I tracked it all the way to US customs and then it disappeared. It turned up a couple of weeks later just left on my doorstep when I got home from work. I’m sure that was Hermes. F@&ktards !

edit: please ignore I see you just purchased something. 
    I thought the fingerboard on yours looked rather flat and according to the specs online they have a compound radius from 12” to 16”, and a 1.75” nut! That’s very different from any ‘normal’ Tele and I imagine must‘ve taken some getting used to. 
    TBH I only really noticed when I switched straight from a G&L Legacy which had a narrow nut width. Which I’ve since sold because I didn’t like the neck  :) 

Very nice score @monquixote ;
    tFB Trader
    Been giving it a blast through the Helix.

It's superb. I honestly don't see how a custom shop could be better if you don't want all the relic rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403

It's superb. I honestly don't see how a custom shop could be better if you don't want all the relic rubbish.
    I have to say I agree. I am no tele expert. I have a Cs Strat and a American standard from the 90s. It is absolutely in the same ball park as the cs quality, resonance wise. 

What do you make of the pick ups? Not having anything to A B against makes it hard to form an opinion
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:

I have to say I agree. I am no tele expert. I have a Cs Strat and a American standard from the 90s. It is absolutely in the same ball park as the cs quality, resonance wise. 

What do you make of the pick ups? Not having anything to A B against makes it hard to form an opinion

It's a bit hard to say unless you change them because you don't know what's from the pickups and what's from the guitar. They certainly sound very good indeed.

They aren't overly shrill which is a good thing. They do have the Telecaster thing where the difference between the neck and bridge is quite dramatic so perhaps a slightly brighter neck pickup would be good.

Still totally in love with the guitar though. The neck is superb and it's really light and resonant.