Garden birds - wotcha got?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    We have the usual garden birds, they visit our feeding station where we can watch their coming and goings....
    A Sparrow Hawk visits our garden every so often.  A Cock Pheasant is often seen strutting about as are two Wood Pigeons.  A rarer visitor is a Grey Wagtail.  We have a resident pair of Pied Wagtails who pick some of the food that falls from the nut and energy ball feeders.  A pair of Jackdaws have started visiting and take up position under the bird feeders.  A rare and unusual visitor was in the garden during the week - a Redwing.  Redwings are migrant birds of the thrush family, they overwinter here when it gets too cold in Iceland or the Nordic countries.  Flocks of them are to be seen in fields, often in the company of fellow travellers Fieldfares but the odd Redwing likes berries and takes temporary leave from the flock to visit gardens.  A couple of years ago a Hare placed one of her leverts in our garden.  We could see him from the kitchen and observe his mother suckling him.  We were careful not to 'see' him as he crouched down when we went out into the garden.  When he was strong enough he made his way into the field and out of our garden.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We have a group of hooligan blue tits who regularly visit. Apart from that we have a few corpses due to the muscular 6kg black British shorthair car we have called Storm.
    When he is sleeping the birds flock in. We keep the grass long to allow more insects places to hide and food for the birds. 

Lots of Red kites, we are in Wiltshire after all, but mainly the smaller birds. 

We don't have a bird feeder as I feel that would be cruel to the birds. Storm is good enough at hunting not to need any help from me. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    flamingos and griffon vultures
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    edited December 2021
    FastEddie said:

Lots of Red kites, we are in Wiltshire after all, but mainly the smaller birds. 

We’re in Wiltshire too (Upavon to be precise). As you say, plenty of red kites, also buzzards, kestrels, and the occasional sparrow hawk. The red kites are magnificent aren’t they?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it