Any advice on getting a custom built?

What's Hot

Comments

• xDaigaijinxDaigaijin Frets: 61
    I made the mistake of paying in advance for a custom tele build... 
    It’s  still not arrived.  
    I’ve actually been fascinated by the string of excuses over the years !
    I’ve read countless tales of others waiting ages as well

My tip to the OP is therefore this:  place as small an amount of cash up front as possible .

Appreciate it, that would be beyond annoying I hope you get a resolution soonest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited June 2020
    Daigaijin said:
    Daigaijin said:
    WezV said:
    Don't try to include everything you ever wanted in a guitar!!

Interesting, how come? I'd hoped to put everything into this one.
    Hi

I have had a few custom guitars. The first two were literally fabricated by the luthier, the last was assembled by a tech. I thought there was a mystery to the latter, tho it was pre-inter web and things are waaay easier now.

If assembling, you could do this yourself. You can even lacquer it successfully with cans of Nitro but obviously if you have no interest, tools nor space then I guess this won't appeal. But it is massively rewarding.

Regarding those I had made, the first one was great at the time (I was v young and didn't have much input).  It was very solid and had a certain class but had some quirks which only became evident later when interfacing with the real world factory-made standards.  Also, I had my name inlaid - another way to lose money should you ever attempt to sell!

The second luthier axe design was almost literally scrawled on a beer mat and sent with cuttings from various Guitar Player mags showing the various luxurious (& some dated) ideas I wanted incorporated.

I may have overdone it with all my options, inc the electric blue paint job but when I received it (maker was in a different UK country), the main reason I have never really used it in 30 years was that although I had stated the nut width, I had completely underestimated the effect of depth and so it has always felt too small.  Lesson learned.  I still have it and it sounds great but I have never gigged nor really recorded with it. There is still time, though, as selling seems a shame.

Be cautious and bear future use/trends/sale potential in mind. I don't think I would buy a custom again but that's just me. You will have your own perspective.

i have a friend who is a very experienced musician yet still ended up in that eternal quest for the amazing guitar, recently spending a couple of grand on a custom-fabricated vintage-style strat and hating the instrument. At least I never hated mine.

Have fun!

I'd not even considered I might not get on with it, hmm
    That is the biggest leap of faith that you’ll have to encounter. Probably more than handing over any money first imo 

I had a similar situation when I placed an order for a lazy j20. I never played through one before so took the gamble. However, that product you’d never really lose that much when moving it on like I did a few years later 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Daigaijin said:
    Daigaijin said:
    WezV said:

Hi

I have had a few custom guitars. The first two were literally fabricated by the luthier, the last was assembled by a tech. I thought there was a mystery to the latter, tho it was pre-inter web and things are waaay easier now.

If assembling, you could do this yourself. You can even lacquer it successfully with cans of Nitro but obviously if you have no interest, tools nor space then I guess this won't appeal. But it is massively rewarding.

Regarding those I had made, the first one was great at the time (I was v young and didn't have much input).  It was very solid and had a certain class but had some quirks which only became evident later when interfacing with the real world factory-made standards.  Also, I had my name inlaid - another way to lose money should you ever attempt to sell!

The second luthier axe design was almost literally scrawled on a beer mat and sent with cuttings from various Guitar Player mags showing the various luxurious (& some dated) ideas I wanted incorporated.

I may have overdone it with all my options, inc the electric blue paint job but when I received it (maker was in a different UK country), the main reason I have never really used it in 30 years was that although I had stated the nut width, I had completely underestimated the effect of depth and so it has always felt too small.  Lesson learned.  I still have it and it sounds great but I have never gigged nor really recorded with it. There is still time, though, as selling seems a shame.

Be cautious and bear future use/trends/sale potential in mind. I don't think I would buy a custom again but that's just me. You will have your own perspective.

i have a friend who is a very experienced musician yet still ended up in that eternal quest for the amazing guitar, recently spending a couple of grand on a custom-fabricated vintage-style strat and hating the instrument. At least I never hated mine.

Have fun!

That is the biggest leap of faith that you’ll have to encounter. Probably more than handing over any money first imo 
    Faith is to something I am not over burdened with, vengeful rage however, that is another matter entirely LOL
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7391
    Ive never had one but if I ever do it will be one of those sexy Feline LPs ...phwoar!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Jalapeno said:
    Daigaijin said:

I've been looking for 'the final one' for ages and there is aways some compromise, so I thought this might be a solution.

Hahahahahahaha ! ;)

GAS is a cruel mistress.

I've had a couple - one truly boutique ("3-4 months" became 2-3 years) can't remember the last time it came out of the case, the other was a reknowned acoustic builder - and it was finished on time (3 months) - gets played and gigged regularly.
    That she is yet I serve her still, glad at least one turned out well. Time is strangely flexible for some people it seemd
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    PolarityMan said:

Ive never had one but if I ever do it will be one of those sexy Feline LPs ...phwoar!
    I can certainly bear witness to the build quality of the things.  They're flawless.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    The purple one in the classified looks amazing and I'm not an lp fan. Not pointy enough and no trem for me to use to hide my technical inadequacy 

Hope you get one, Feline seem to be well regarded here 
    Faith is to something I am not over burdened with, vengeful rage however, that is another matter entirely LOL
    Probably not for you then?
    I guess lots of research, comms with the prospective builder and good references would help to de risk it but as has been well documented above still a twisted path with disappointment and worse a threat. 

Much to think about
    Daigaijin said:
    I guess lots of research, comms with the prospective builder and good references would help to de risk it but as has been well documented above still a twisted path with disappointment and worse a threat. 

Much to think about
    Yeah I feel for you. I pondered on my build for about 10 years to put it in perspective. Mainly because my playing ability doesn’t match the price tag of the guitar and I could’ve bought a small car for one of my boys with the money. But life is too short and wanted to experience the whole process and I had a few grand to spare, I don’t anymore so it was a moment in time I seized  ;)  Still don’t regret it though. 

Yeah research research research is your best bet. I didn’t have to research that much for the MB as one doesn’t read a bad word about him. It sounds like that guitar style isn’t for your tastes ?
  • Daigaijin said:
    Daigaijin said:
    WezV said:

Hi

Have fun!

Well, my friend hated it because it was not a well-made item. It would appear the builder was all mouth n no trousers.

Unfortunately there are deluded people out there. Wouldjabeleevit??
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    HSH, Floyd, superstrat, nice woods, I'd be looking at high end off the shelf guitars first, doesn't really sound like a job for a custom to me unless you know for sure you want to keep it forever.

The only custom I'd consider is a Feline Les Paul because it has features (like the neck heel) and build quality you just won't find on a Gibson. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    I think you have to find a builder that is already building things that are as close as possible to what you want. You want them just to be making tweaks to what they normally do rather than something wildly different.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Daigaijin said:
    Daigaijin said:
    WezV said:

Hi

Have fun!

Well, my friend hated it because it was not a well-made item. It would appear the builder was all mouth n no trousers.

Unfortunately there are deluded people out there. Wouldjabeleevit??
    Ha ha! I'm both shocked and amazed in equal measure, the thought that someone's ego could promise a guitar that they couldn't build, it just makes no sense at all!
    Daigaijin said:

Much to think about
    Yeah I feel for you. I pondered on my build for about 10 years to put it in perspective. Mainly because my playing ability doesn’t match the price tag of the guitar and I could’ve bought a small car for one of my boys with the money. But life is too short and wanted to experience the whole process and I had a few grand to spare, I don’t anymore so it was a moment in time I seized  ;)  Still don’t regret it though. 

Yeah research research research is your best bet. I didn’t have to research that much for the MB as one doesn’t read a bad word about him. It sounds like that guitar style isn’t for your tastes ?
    Sounds like you made the right call in the end. As for the style there are a few factors and there is no doubt MB work is beautiful and his rep speaks to the quality and easy of interaction.

At heart I'm an Ibanez rg fan and as @TTBZ rightly pointed out perhaps what I'm after may already exist. That said I have 2 J Customs which are just beautiful to play and aesthetically, but there always a compromise on some aspect

Another solution bight to be buy one of all of they key variants neck profile, thru neck, different trems, fret material, body/top material, pickups and then see if there's anything wanting. Long and expensive process but much GASing! 
  • Is there anything ‘off the shelf’ similar that you could get modified, different pickups, refinish etc??...might be easier, faster and cheaper for you.
    Is there anything ‘off the shelf’ similar that you could get modified, different pickups, refinish etc??...might be easier, faster and cheaper for you.
    Definitely worth exploring along with the self/luthier assembly options. Neither had been considered tbh.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12056
    With so many guitars out there, if you are purely after spec, there must be one that does it, or close enough to that you can just swap out parts.

However, if you just want the brand of the builder then go ahead.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben_McCarthyBen_McCarthy Frets: 117
    I had a brilliant experience with @FelineGuitars and can’t recommend Jon and team more highly. 

Also check out Carillion guitars. I’ve had one of Chris’s acoustic and it’s the nuts.

i would always want to meet the people making and and I’m not a million miles away from Feline and Carrilion.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    edited June 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    Be absolutely sure you can't get the spec you want off the shelf.
    This is the best bit of advice on this, and something I should have taken into account several times over the years. A lot of money wasted!!   Heck, I was even able to mod a squier strat into a 1 humbucker machine. Something I could have gotten built, but with parts lying around decided not to. I might get a better quality string through body down the line, but that wouldn't really be "a build"...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom