Burns London

What's Hot
TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
edited June 2020 in Guitar
Just found out that Barry Gibson has stepped away from Burns London and sold the company. A shame in my eyes as I loved their guitars and the way Barry conducted business. A genuinely friendly and helpful bloke in my experience - I wish him well for the future.

A bit of Googling reveals that the company now has some 6 Directors, one of which is Lee Anderton, so hopefully it's in safe hands. I wonder what direction they will take things?  Interesting times ahead and I'm looking forward to seeing what develops. Hopefully it's good news for the long term future of Burns London.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    That's interesting to hear. I had a bit of an email exchange with Barry around a year ago regarding my Burns prototype, he was really helpful and talking about putting the guitar into production. 

I guess they have a certain aesthetic and heritage but I don't know many people who like the curly headstock. They have been making some fine guitars though over the past few years. 
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    edited June 2020
    The scroll headstock is definitely an acquired taste, though I think it's just because it's so unusual.  When I got my first Burns, I loved everything about it other that the headstock, but after a few weeks I began to love that too. Now, when I look at my Strat, it looks like it's missing something in the headstock area LOL.

Would love to see some photos of the Burns prototype if you have any =) .

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Teflon said:
    The scroll headstock is definitely an acquired taste, though I think it's just because it's so unusual.  When I got my first Burns, I loved everything about it other that the headstock, but after a few weeks I began to love that too. Now, when I look at my Strat, it looks like it's missing something in the headstock area LOL.

Would love to see some photos of the Burns prototype if you have any =) .

I do, I suspect a few people are getting a bit bored if seeing them as it's my favourite guitar. I have recently given it a lockdown refurb / mod going from sonic blue to Matt black and changed everything including paint and hardware. 

This is it as it came to me.

Here it is after the work. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14865
    tFB Trader
    Teflon said:
    Just found out that Barry Gibson has stepped away from Burns London and sold the company. A shame in my eyes as I loved their guitars and the way Barry conducted business. A genuinely friendly and helpful bloke in my experience - I wish him well for the future.

A bit of Googling reveals that the company now has some 6 Directors, one of which is Lee Anderton, so hopefully it's in safe hands. I wonder what direction they will take things?  Interesting times ahead and I'm looking forward to seeing what develops. Hopefully it's good news for the long term future of Burns London.
    any more info/link on the new company + investors/directors - Will be good to see such news
    Fuengi said:
    Teflon said:

Would love to see some photos of the Burns prototype if you have any  .

I do, I suspect a few people are getting a bit bored if seeing them as it's my favourite guitar. I have recently given it a lockdown refurb / mod going from sonic blue to Matt black and changed everything including paint and hardware. 

That looks a bit special - lovely =)
    any more info/link on the new company + investors/directors - Will be good to see such news

Only info I've found is that there are 6 Directors:  Lee Anderton; Peter Anderton; Graham Bell; Simon Gilson; Terrance Hope; and Christopher McBay. It seems they bought the company on 16th June.

tFB Trader
    Teflon said:

Only info I've found is that there are 6 Directors:  Lee Anderton; Peter Anderton; Graham Bell; Simon Gilson; Terrance Hope; and Christopher McBay. It seems they bought the company on 16th June.

That is interesting

so 2 x owner/directors from Andertons - 2 x owner/directors from GuitarGuitar and 2 ex PMT owners (may still be directors at PMT - not sure on this following the recent buy out)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Isn’t that the same bunch of guys behind the company that distribute G&L and possibly Alvarez...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Teflon said:

That is interesting

so 2 x owner/directors from Andertons - 2 x owner/directors from GuitarGuitar and 2 ex PMT owners (may still be directors at PMT - not sure on this following the recent buy out)
    Related to this?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139216/dealer-buying-consortium-guitarguitar-andertons-pmt/p1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Isn’t that the same bunch of guys behind the company that distribute G&L and possibly Alvarez...

Yes - when I was typing that message I forgot about the G&L stocking relationship
    I had a hunch the good folk on these boards would be able to shed some light. I knew who the 2 Andertons were, but hadn't heard of the other 4, and had somehow missed the info regarding GAP.  All very interesting!
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 474
    I have a Burns Marvin, Bison and a Cobra, all of the from the Barry Gibson era. The build quality is very good, probably better than the original British Burns guitars which could be a bit hit and miss. Can’t say I’m overjoyed at the Andertons involvement in the new setup, I lived in Guildford and was a reluctant Andertons customer for many years right through from old Harry then Peter and now lee running the business, I was never over impressed by their attitude to the musical instrument business, quite frankly I got the impression that they could be selling you anything as long as there was profit in it. Why did I shop there? They were convenient and sometimes cheap.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790
    One of my first guitars as a teenager was a 1960's Baldwin Burns guitar with a "Wild Dog" pickup setting, it was a nice guitar. One of these:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23806
    mart said:
    Teflon said:

That is interesting

Related to this?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139216/dealer-buying-consortium-guitarguitar-andertons-pmt/p1
    The Illuminati.
    The Bilderberg Group.
    GAP (isn't that name already taken?)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    mart said:
    Teflon said:

That is interesting

Related to this?
    The Illuminati.
    The Bilderberg Group.
    GAP (isn't that name already taken?)
    I thought more of a SPECTRE and 007 will come along and save us all
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    I like what they're saying in the article. Probably needs a shot in the arm.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5612
    Never liked the Burns style personally, but good to see a UK made brand being boosted.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    I bought a used bass of a chap (he claimed it was a sixties Fender but had unmarked headstock and plywood body). I paid £45 in the end.

Anyway, he pulled out a Burns Bison and started raving about it. It was from a relaunch in late 70s and I wasn't that impressed.
    DiscoStu said:
    Never liked the Burns style personally, but good to see a UK made brand being boosted.
    Indeed. The idea of a UK custom shop making high end instruments sounds re-assuring. Personally, I love the Burns style, so am intrigued by the reference to re-engineering vintage styles. Looking forward to seeing what develops  .