Burns London

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rossirossi Frets: 1713
    A lot of 60's bands around our way played them and when I tried one I was horrified what crap it was .It made my Hofner a dream in comparison .I later tried a Black Bison I could barely pick up and the strings were about an inch from the fret board .Never bothered since though I am  sure they are better these days .I do like the blue tele type but cant see it it being as useful as a proper tele .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I think if they can get some into some cool acts we might see a revival. I know last time I wanted one was because of Gaz Coombes. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68

I used to have a Bison from 64’, which was a really well made guitar that had a beautiful bound ebony fret board. The pickups were great for clean sounds and the vibrato arm was a joy to play. I’ve also had my hands on various sonics throughout the years. They were abit inconsistent but some were great and had a cool vibe to them.

Compared to the limited number of new Burns I’ve played the old ones felt and sounded a lot better to me. Having said that the recent Burns guitars I’ve tried were aimed at a fairly low price point so I’m not sure if comparing them means anything.

The Bisons and Sonics are cool in my book, they are unique and I think could appeal to lots of people if done right. I’d definitely be interested if they were made to the same quality as my 64’ Bison. However I would suggest they make the Bison a lot lighter, and a fatter neck profile would not go amiss! 

• BadnotesBadnotes Frets: 48
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I'd have to try one to be convinced. I've never been mad keen on the look of Burns gear but I've always fancied trying a top of the range Marvin model, if only to know what that vibrato system on it feels and plays like. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10620
    edited July 2020
    Redlester said:
    I'd have to try one to be convinced. I've never been mad keen on the look of Burns gear but I've always fancied trying a top of the range Marvin model, if only to know what that vibrato system on it feels and plays like. 
    I've played quite a few being a member of a Shadows club meet for the last 12 years .Barry actually comes quite regularly to our club  and there's a Burns night  quite often and everyone brings their Burns instead of their Fenders. 
    Not a massive fan of the Burns trem, I mean it's fine but doesn't have the instant response of a Fender trem
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    edited July 2020
    ^ Burns Night.. sounds much more down my street than poetry and haggis. 

I had a battered old Burns Jazz on long term loan in the early 90s - I was 17-18 at the time. I like that they've chosen to use the body shape on these. It'll be interesting to see what the top range ones look like.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    Danny1969 said:
    I've played quite a few being a member of a Shadows club meet for the last 12 years .Barry actually comes quite regularly to our club  and there's a Burns night  quite often and everyone brings their Burns instead of their Fenders. 
    Not a massive fan of the Burns trem, I mean it's fine but doesn't have the instant response of a Fender trem
    The Surrey Shadow Club? I've probably seen you! I've been going regularly for the past year ('till the lockdown), but haven't yet had the nerve to get up and play. Something I aim to rectify as soon things resume.

Cliff
    edited July 2020
    Teflon said:
    Danny1969 said:
    The Surrey Shadow Club? I've probably seen you! I've been going regularly for the past year ('till the lockdown), but haven't yet had the nerve to get up and play. Something I aim to rectify as soon things resume.

Cliff
    You're not *that* Cliff are you?

Surrey Shadow Club sounds great. Where are the meet ups? 

So @Danny1969 does the Burns vibrato effectively do the same stuff- floats etc- it's just a tad stiffer feeling? My interest is mainly because I seem to recall from photos that it has those bars placed over the unit, I assume for protection of something first and foremost rather than decoration. 

I can't decide if it looks good or over-engineered. 
    Redlester said:
    You're not *that* Cliff are you?

Surrey Shadow Club sounds great. Where are the meet ups? 

So @Danny1969 does the Burns vibrato effectively do the same stuff- floats etc- it's just a tad stiffer feeling? My interest is mainly because I seem to recall from photos that it has those bars placed over the unit, I assume for protection of something first and foremost rather than decoration. 

I can't decide if it looks good or over-engineered. 
    No knighthood for me I'm afraid! 

The Surrey Shadows meet once a month at Hersham Sports & Social Club. Having said that though, there are numerous Shadows clubs all 'round the country - details here: http://www.shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=30  so bound to be one not far from you =)

Regarding the Burns Rezotube Tremolo unit, it's definitely over-engineered, but I understand it was developed that way back in the '60's to ensure it didn't fall foul of any Fender patents. It's a wonderful thing to my mind.  The bars placed over unit (sometimes referred to as "the toast rack"  :)) are to prevent your right arm accidently depressing the unit and sending the guitar out of tune. It all works very well indeed and is wonderfully stable.

Cliff
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10620
    Teflon said:
    Danny1969 said:

Cliff
    Our clubs called The South Coast Shadows club and is in Waterlooville, just outside Portsmouth.  I have been to the Surrey club ... on a night when Bruce Welch turned up although he didn't play. A lot of guys from the surrey club come to ours which is held every third Wednesday at The Heroes in Waterlooville. 
    Here's our club FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/180542912051090/

@Redlester ; The burns trem floats Ok but seems a bit pondering to me where a Fender one responds instantly. I don't actually think anyone has designed a better trem to be fair. It's incredibly effective for such a simple design.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I've visited South Coast Shadows a couple of times - a good club =) . Not yet had the good fortune to see Bruce at the Surrey Shadows, but both Barry Gibson and Cliff Hall have put in appearances. 

Really love these clubs, and have total admiration for all the players who get up and take part, as well as the "house" bands who make it all possible. Great friendly places to visit for anyone with an interest in guitar playing.

Cliff
    Hersham’s not too far from me. I might have to pop in one time. 

Thanks for the comments on the Burns teen. I see from some of those newer models they have their own term design and a different pickup options. I’m interested in trying one of those Cobras now. 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 888
    GuitarGuitar have the new ones in stock: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/burns/guitars/electric/