Gibson experts, is this normal?

What's Hot
These tuners looked really badly aligned to me.  I don't even get OCD, but this could start me off.
How normal is this? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3176
    About par for the course, if they work no problem!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Jeez thats well wonky.. 

I know theyre different but my lpj is lined up nice.. 

I suppose as long as they work fine its not an issue but its sloppy as shit. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    edited June 2020
    Usually you could draw a straight line across the tops of each pair of tuners, just about.  I don't think I've seen them so severely angled before.  The picture seems slightly distorted, but they still look wonky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    I’m not sure it’s legit, the stamp looks wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    Yes, don't all 2014 serial numbers start with 14?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I think they also said ‘2014 model’, didn’t have dots between the letters of ‘USA’ and had a bigger font for the numbers
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27749
    This page suggests 2014 was a crossover year, so that serial may be right, though from 2005 it possibly should be a 9-digit serial, not 8? 

https://aboutguitars.uk/?page_id=309

But @Alex2678 has a good point - I can't find any examples online of any with dots in "USA" after they started adding the model year after the "Made In USA text", though they did have dots in earlier years.  That potentially rings alarm bells but Gibson are a bit odd with this stuff, so it could still be right.

Any other pics of the guitar?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31951
    edited June 2020
    My 2012 and 2016 Gibsons both have a different font to that. 
    Gotta hand it to the fakers though, putting the tuners on wonky is serious attention to detail!

EDIT; actually scratch that, it's pretty similar to my LP font, though mine doesn't have the dots in USA either. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I might stand corrected I’ve just found a Memphis model that’s stamped just like this
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    I believe that's a Phillips Cleartone ergonomic/aesthetic modification.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    To answer the original question, wonky tuners are par for the course in my experience, but those are particularly cock eyed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    prlgmnr said:
    I believe that's a Phillips Cleartone ergonomic/aesthetic modification.
    The angle is helpful for players with big hands, stops them bumping the next machine head while tuning. ;)

In all seriousness I suffer from OCD and regret viewing this thread.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Yes, don't all 2014 serial numbers start with 14?
    I thought this too last night and googled it, but couldnt find much info that cleared it up to be honest, as mine there is or should be a legit Gibson bought from Pmt, made in 2019.. 

Am so confused because judging by Gibsons own serial number checked thingy, its a 2012 lol :/ 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27749
    Ok, Memphis didn't always run exactly in line with the main Nashville factory so entirely possible it's fine. That 335 on gbase looks right so I wouldn't be too worried.

In fact, I found a pic of my old ES-330. Definitely real - 2018 model year, made in Memphis. Bought new from Coda in mid-2018.

As long as the guitar in question is a Memphis-made guitar (basically most semis) then you're fine.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73060
    The shape of the ‘open book’ doesn’t look at all right to me - the notch is much too sharp and narrow, and the outer ends are too flat.

Normally I would say wonky machineheads are a sign of a genuine one, but I’ve never seen any that bad before. I’d want to see pics of the rest of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    I've never seen anything as bad as that - Sometimes you can get them slightly out on 1 or 2 but that looks like a YTS lads first attempt
  • FezFez Frets: 544
    YTS there's a blast from the past. Do they still have them?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    How does it look from a straight on front view?

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7025
    Are they not just replacements for the shitty robo tuners from the 2014 Gibsons? That's what I had done to mine. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.