Facebook Flippers (+PSA)

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
edited June 2020 in Guitar
No not the ones you put on your feet lol

Sold a guitar at a fair price the other day, guy paid up no messing, so we were all happy. Low and behold it's now on facebook with a £200 markup!!

I'm not bothered at all as it's his property and can do with it as he wishes, (I highly doubt he'll get the price he's asking either) but he seems to have used most of my wording from my advert the cheeky sod, how lazy is that?

Would you say something or leave it?

Plus, quick heads up for anyone after a cheap amp, boss katana mark 2 for £30 on marketplace, no affiliation!!
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7343
    To be fair it depends on the value of the guitar. If it’s a £1500 guitar I’d probably stick it up on there at £1700 expecting lower bids
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    To be fair it depends on the value of the guitar. If it’s a £1500 guitar I’d probably stick it up on there at £1700 expecting lower bids
    no I really mean because he uses the wording from my advert, ah sod it I'm not bothered

the boss katana is a bargain though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    I'd say nothing but I know some on here who would have plenty to say, having been accused of being the devil himself for buying a guitar on eBay and listing it for more here  =)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    If you’re happy with what you got for it, just leave it. Life’s too short, Tony.

That amp is ridiculously cheap - alarm bells though at “cheap offer as I need to move out”... maybe that’s before the owner gets home :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

That amp is ridiculously cheap - alarm bells though at “cheap offer as I need to move out”... maybe that’s before the owner gets home :lol:
    haha exactly what I thought
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33978
    There are loads of bedroom sellers, include half a dozen here.
    If you don't want to give them stock then qualify who is buying from you and don't sell to them.

Otherwise you agreed to a price so there isn't much come back.
    Just don't agree in the future if it bothers you.

In terms of photos and text that get used- yeah it happens, it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I’ll be honest - I do it as a “hobby”. I see stuff that is cheap and clean it up, take better pics and advertise it in more places and sell it or trade it at a small profit. 
    Most of the time Im
    buying from people that have left it under their bed for years and aren’t involved in guitars anymore and there has been a few that it’s because they needed the cash quick so I provided it. 
    I’ve sold on this forum but I don’t think I’ve ever actually purchased a guitar from here with the intention of flipping and I actually sold a musicman on here for a grand and the guy had it on eBay a day later for £1400 - I was happy with the profit I made on it and for all I know he could have waited 6 months for a buyer - that’s the risk and I’m glad it was his and not mine. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 644
    You accepted a price you were presumably happy with. It's now his property and he can do with it as he wishes. Using your wording is perhaps a little lazy, but I'm not sure it's worth calling it out. I'd be annoyed if (as I've seen happen) someone bought an item and subsequently gave it a much more glowing description of an item's condition than is actually the case.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    I have just come off Facebook as it’s just about the most negative place going, or at least mine was. 

I have a slight irritation with people being bedroom dealers. I guess it’s because I don’t buy or sell to make money, I just buy to try things out, keep what I like and move the rest that don’t quite work out on. What seems to irritate me is that I almost find it dishonest when you sell to a trader who marks up. I don’t know why it bothers me because if I got the money I wanted for it I can have no argument. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    shaunm said:
    I have just come off Facebook as it’s just about the most negative place going, or at least mine was. 

WONDERED where you’d gone: was trying to nick/gain inspiration from your ‘Wicked Game’ solo and *pfoot* it’s gone... 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Epsilon said:
    You accepted a price you were presumably happy with. It's now his property and he can do with it as he wishes.
    Oh yeah I never thought of that

even though it's exactly what I typed in the first post in this thread FFS!

to be honest I was more hoping no one on here ends up buying it, but I doubt they will as most on here will see from a mile off how overpriced it is, took me a while to sell it at a very good price really
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    Epsilon said:
    You accepted a price you were presumably happy with. It's now his property and he can do with it as he wishes.

to be honest I was more hoping no one on here ends up buying it, but I doubt they will as most on here will see from a mile off how overpriced it is, took me a while to sell it at a very good price really
    Indeed you did. Makes me wonder why you bothered with the thread in the first place.
    Epsilon said:
    tony99 said:
    Epsilon said:

Indeed you did. Makes me wonder why you bothered with the thread in the first place.
    I could always repeat the final paragraph from my last post if you like
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    I say good luck to ‘em. You got a price you were happy with, let’s see if they do to. Live and let live!

What would be very interesting would be to see the sale price of a guitar over the years - just think, your average 90s Fender has probably changed hands several times but it’s likely the S/H price had stayed fairly consistent. But wonder how other brands fair, especially with the changing trends in guitars (80s pointy stuff being an example).

Reading this back, I wonder how I ever managed to get married...I really do.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    tony99 said:
    Epsilon said:
    tony99 said:
    Epsilon said:

I could always repeat the final paragraph from my last post if you like
    Cheers for the PSA. Think I will buy it and flip it.

Makes me wonder why you bothered with the rest/majority of the thread 
    I'm tempted to buy it back actually it's a fkn cracker
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    tony99 said:
    If you offered the seller what he paid for it, you’d have your answer as to whether he’s a flipper or just someone (like my good self) who has the magic combo of being easily bored and terrible with money!
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    Fight fight fight fight!!!!!!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7343
    tony99 said:
    Sounds to me like he’s had second thoughts Tony tbh, would you faff around for £200 on Facebook knowing you are going to be knocked down.  I reckon if you bid him what you sold it for you’d probably get it back !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I've put me gibson goldtop up for sale in the same group out of spite

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom