Would you change a radius on a Fender Custom Shop Strat?

What's Hot
My CS is up for grabs in the ads, but I love it and will be gutted to see it go. I'm only selling it because I dislike the 9.5" radius and want a vintage correct 7.25" radius with vintage frets. Though it has to be said that I've not played a guitar as resonant as that one.

Jonathan and the gents @FelineGuitars, did an incredible job on re-radius'ing my Tele and I think that this could be an option for the Strat. But modding CS instruments is considered sacrilege.

Part of me really wants to keep the guitar and change the board radius, but my head tells me that this could be a mistake to change the spec. Interested to see who would do it or not.

Furthermore, would you change the pickups on a CS strat or is that a no too?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    edited June 2020
    Buy a new neck and keep the old one? And yeah change the pickups, you can always put the old ones back in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bwets said:
    Buy a new neck and keep the old one?
    If only it were that easy. I really love the neck and relic job on this one and have no idea where to start in order to get another like it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    edited June 2020
    I see some big contradictions here.

1 - You like the look of the neck
    2 - You don't like feel of the neck
    3 - You are willing to let the guitar go because you don't like how it feels

Which concludes that you put playability above cosmetic...therefore I don't see the problem of getting another neck with the right radius, even if it doesn't look the same, going to matter?  Since you are willing to let the entire guitar go in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I see some big contradictions here.

Which concludes that you put playability above cosmetic...therefore I don't see the problem of getting another neck with the right radius, even if it doesn't look the same, going to matter?  Since you are willing to let the entire guitar go in the first place.
    Neck and radius are two different things. Only thing I dislike is the radius.

Willing to let the guitar go because it's not usually considered the thing to do to mod CS instruments.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    No
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23751
    No.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Change the neck. Change the pick-ups. Change the body whilst you're at it.

Behold....Trigger's brush!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, you make a good point. Probably best to sell it!

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 842
    If it’s a keeper (ha yes, I know...we all say that!), then why not? You’re happy with work @FelineGuitars has done before so go for it. I reckon you’d regret it if you let it go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I see some big contradictions here.

Willing to let the guitar go because it's not usually considered the thing to do to mod CS instruments.
    But surely if you are thinking of replacing it and looking for an entirely new guitar.  What difference does it make from looking for a new neck?  

It's not like you are going to bin the old neck, just keep it.
  • I see some big contradictions here.

But surely if you are thinking of replacing it and looking for an entirely new guitar.  What difference does it make from looking for a new neck?  

It's not like you are going to bin the old neck, just keep it.
    Yes, fair point mate. Well made. Any idea where I can get one and who can do a good relic job?

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited June 2020
     Send it to feline, get the radius done and a refret!. Simples.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    I once had a guitar I loved refretted and re-radiused. It was never the same afterwards, and not in a good way. Big mistake. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    please don't

just think of the effort and craftmanship that's gone into it

it'd be like getting a gourmet meal served up and then you just slather it in brown sauce
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:
    please don't

it'd be like getting a gourmet meal served up and then you just slather it in brown sauce
    I get that completely. And agree in many respects.

There are 3 ways...

1 - take sandpaper to it yourself - I'd try this, doesn't really matter if it goes wrong. 
    2 - play it liked you've never played it before and wear it out
    3 - get a roadworn neck

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/parts/necks/?rl=en_US

You can even get the neck from Fender direct, not worried about fakes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73120
    Do it. It's just a modern Fender, no matter how good - it's not like modifying a vintage one. If you have someone like Feline Guitars do it you know the work will be flawless, which is all that really counts.

It's also not as if you're going to do something out of keeping with the guitar, like a 16" radius and jumbo frets. The only caveat would be if it's a round-lam rosewood board - that would make it a difficult job to do right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    tony99 said:
    please don't

It’s true, it takes a real artisan to pick a neck from the parts bin!!!!! ;)

Im not knocking CS stuff btw... just pointing out that it’s still a mass produced guitar and there’s nothing “hand built” about it...

if you like the guitar but would prefer the 7.25 profile... get it done...

but will it make it “vintage correct”? Prolly not... 

correct at the time it should have been built maybe but very few vintage strats/teles now have the original radius imo...

my ‘61 tele is now closer to 9”- 10” compound after nearly 60 years of being played, refretted and having the board reshot...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31979
    tony99 said:
    please don't

It'll have a fuck sight more effort and craftsmanship going into it at Feline than it ever had in the Fender "Custom Shop"!

There are potential pitfalls though, depending on whether it's a maple or rosewood board. 

If it's a maple board you'll lose the factory relic finish on it if that's an issue, if it's a round lam rosewood board there might not be enough wood there to radius the edges away. 

Talk to them, they won't force you to go ahead or lead you up the garden path. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it has to be sacrilege to change it. It's not vintage, it's not especially unique - if you want to keep it, then make it suit you. It's a production line guitar and if you love everything else about it, why not let Feline do their thing?
    Tim