Would you change a radius on a Fender Custom Shop Strat?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11535
    crunchman said:
    bobbatone said:

This is my thought exactly. Fender drive me insane with their custom shop reissues. What on earth is the point of calling something a reissue if it comes with a 9.5-10" compound radius and jumbo frets! Surely the reason you would want a specific vintage reissue is becasue you want the guitar to feel like it's from that particular period. I think Fender are really missing the mark with this. 

The Custom Shop will do 7.25".  You need to blame the dealers who order them with 9.5".
    I agree with this... However, dealers will, presumably, only order what their customers are buying.

You can't buy what isn't in the shop.

I bought a Custom Shop Tele once.  It was 9.5".  If they had had a 7.25" I would have preferred that, but there wasn't the option.  All they had was 9.5".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    Yeah it's hard to know whether Fender or dealers think 9.5 radius is what most people want, or whether it's what most people buy becasue there aren't any 7.25s in the stores. 

Either way I still don't see why Fender sell vintage reissues that come with a 9.5 radius and jumbo frets. If they think nobody would buy them if they did have vintage specs then surely people don't want a vintage reissue in the first place. 

• rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited June 2020
    What about magnetically attached  fret boards? Just pull one off and replace with another  of a different radius ,or a revolving board .Scoop out the neck and have the board revolve round the truss rod .You heard it here first .....probably .
    I am with the Gibson got it right brigade, even  go to a 12 inch radius .
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    The Novatone Switchboard, which came out in the early eighties, was exactly like this. It used a magnetic fingerboard but wasn’t very successful.