Distinctive guitar players whose playing/tone you easily recognise?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
While sat working doing mundane tasks, I often pop on a film to half-watch.  This morning I chose Death Wish 2, as I've never seen it and it's brainless enough to not draw me in too much.  The intro song kicked in with a nice Eaglesy bit of guitar, with some very 70s synths, then suddenly I thought, "Christ, that sounds like Jimmy Page!"  Of course, it is.

This first increased my respect for Page (I've been a Led Zep fan for a long time), as I really think it's quite something to sound so much like nobody but you, and secondly made me wonder how many guitarists stand out so individually.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Angus Young and Dave Mustaine (who I think took quite a lot from Angus) have some very distinctive tells.  I'm sure there are many, many others but I thought I'd put it out there.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    I walked into a bar once, heard the first note of a guitar solo and knew it was Marty Friedman from the vibrato. 

Also:

Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    Slash
    Ty Tabor
    Possibly Jack White, although I haven’t heard enough of his post White Stripes output to know for sure
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Brian May. 

Angus Young certainly. 

John McLaughlin.

Wes Montgomery. 

I think If I get it right in my case I am as likely to identify someone from their overall tone/ sound as I am from the playing, but maybe that’s because I’m a guitar player. 

This can be a good game if you like jazz where there are no amps/ effects etc to affect the tone, and it’s purely on note choice and phrasing. Often telling one sax player from another, say, can be tricky.

My ear is not as failsafe as I’d like to think though. I like to think I’d be able to spot the greats at first listen, but not always. Planet Rock once played a track I didn’t know that was ‘Very 80s’ sounding- drum machine, massed harmony vocals, flash guitar fills, the lot. ‘What’s this?’ I thought. Sounds like some LA dude trying to be Jeff Beck. And up pops the DJ at the end of the track saying ‘that was Jeff Beck from his ‘Flash’ album”. I can’t tell if I was having an off day or Jeff was. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Eric

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426

The Edge. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8872
    Mark Knopfler
    Nile Rogers
    Kurt Cobain...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4701
    Paul Kossoff.  There was a Free song in a TV show recently - might have been Normal People.  Didn't know the song, but as soon as that vibrato started...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben_McCarthyBen_McCarthy Frets: 117
    Has to be Robben Ford for me, Clapton and Bb King too there’s no mistaking them. 
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Gilmour 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3058
    edited June 2020
    J Mascis without a doubt. Has a very distinctive tone, style and often used phrases and chord progressions. Even playing acoustic, I'd recognise him every time. 
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    Guthrie Govan - can tell his playing a mile off! And Mr Vai of course. His solo on M83's Go! was what got me playing again.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16426
    I could probably recognise BB King or someone playing close to that style fairly easily. If anything Albert King maybe even more distinctive. 
    I have a distinct if unreliable memory of realising Crazy Little Thing was Queen from the solo and not from the vocal ( not even the red special that one either I believe).
    When I think of distinctive players my mind tends to go to Hound Dog Taylor. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Definitely Johnny Marr
    Yep this
    We are all Chameleons...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Brian May for me. I think he's the most unique guitarist ever in terms of his individual style and sound.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Keef.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    I suspect most people would be hard pushed to spot more than ten. My 'Easily Identified Top 10' would be:

Hendrix
    SRV
    The Edge
    Andy Summers
    Jimmy Page
    Jonny Greenwood
    Slash
    BB King
    Johnny Marr
    Brian May
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Holdworth
    Santana
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    Not mentioned so far but Hank. One note and it is unmistakeably him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John Squire too has a very distinctive style, you just know it's him. 
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 365
    Daniel Johnston. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom