NGD: Maverick F1 in candy floss pink

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14824
    tFB Trader
    grungebob said:
    I don’t know how much truth is in it but back in the mid to late 90’s a chap that ran a music shop in Cleethorpes claimed to be responsible in some manner for Mavericks design. 
    Maybe close - Maverick was run in the UK by a guy called Mark and I now forget his surname - Might be Mark James - I recall he was based in the Lincs area, so maybe a connection at the time with a store in that area

He quit the trade and went to live in Malta

Was always a small 'one man business' and under-funded, so whilst there was interest at the time it was always a small operation 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Noisy must be about the last person on here I'd have thought would pick up a shredder like this, so allow me to give the OP a taste of his own medicine with a little blast from the past:

Today's spurious Noisepolluter rumour:
    Simon didn't buy his new Maverick F1, he found it leaning against a Brocklebottlebank and took it home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    edited June 2020
    That's a shame @Guitars4You - they seemed to have a really strong following while they were around. I always wondered if they'd folded during the recession / wind-down of nu-metal. I had no idea at all that they were a one-man shop though, that's quite impressive given the noise they generated (no pun intended).

@Noisepolluter - congrats on the NGD. If ever a guitar was in need of neon plastics, it's that one.

• @Noisepolluter - congrats on the NGD. If ever a guitar was in need of neon plastics, it's that one.
    Thanks! I could see it with zebras certainly, but the pickups in there seem to suit it really well so I’ll see how I go. Going to have to get a checkerboard strap though, definitely!
    edited June 2020 tFB Trader
    That's a shame @Guitars4You - they seemed to have a really strong following while they were around. I always wondered if they'd folded during the recession / wind-down of nu-metal. I had no idea at all that they were a one-man shop though, that's quite impressive given the noise they generated (no pun intended).

@Noisepolluter - congrats on the NGD. If ever a guitar was in need of neon plastics, it's that one.
    I'm not sure if he had any relationship with an actual shop as such - The whole design and concept was UK based, but had them built in the far east - With the level of funding available he mainly dealt with a small amount of dealers and most dealers he supported were the independent stores - Mark James ran the business and occasionally used a couple of reps/agents to help with the shop visits - But it was always a small operation

Part of the issue is the classic catch 22 - The dealers he supported were smaller independents so they had their own cash flow issues, so Mark would struggle to get paid on time - Limited funds on his part ensured low stock levels and I believe the whole supply became spasmodic - Nothing really to do with any recession or change in trends - Low/mid range prices, so the level of profits were mediocre - A pity really as it wasn't a crap product at all, certainly at the price they were marked up at 

Think/recall it all folded mid/late 00's - I have a trade contact who might be able to add more, so watch this space if I recall anything else
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6421
    Awesome ! I've always wanted some sort of dayglo Ibanez Sabre or plasticene Jem
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308
    That is so cool, congratulations! Funnily enough I was looking at Mavericks on eBay the other day. I love that colour, it looks wicked. @hollywoodrox is going to be all over that
    Omg , it’s outstanding , great design as well
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4308

I'm not sure if he had any relationship with an actual shop as such - The whole design and concept was UK based, but had them built in the far east - With the level of funding available he mainly dealt with a small amount of dealers and most dealers he supported were the independent stores - Mark James ran the business and occasionally used a couple of reps/agents to help with the shop visits - But it was always a small operation

Part of the issue is the classic catch 22 - The dealers he supported were smaller independents so they had their own cash flow issues, so Mark would struggle to get paid on time - Limited funds on his part ensured low stock levels and I believe the whole supply became spasmodic - Nothing really to do with any recession or change in trends - Low/mid range prices, so the level of profits were mediocre - A pity really as it wasn't a crap product at all, certainly at the price they were marked up at 

Think/recall it all folded mid/late 90's - I have a trade contact who might be able to add more, so watch this space if I recall anything else
    Such a shame ,sad story 
  • Very nice! I've got a Species 7 myself and it's ace!
  • Damn, now I want one!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253

Think/recall it all folded mid/late 90's - I have a trade contact who might be able to add more, so watch this space if I recall anything else
    Thanks - that makes sense, and is an all too familiar story!

From what I recall they were still seemingly operating in the mid 00's as I only started playing in '06 and remember them all over magazines and reviews at the time, plus one of my local shops used to stock them for at least a couple of years after I started. I very much remember fawning after an X-1 (I think?) with the dual maple & rosewood fingerboard. :)
    tFB Trader

Thanks - that makes sense, and is an all too familiar story!

From what I recall they were still seemingly operating in the mid 00's as I only started playing in '06 and remember them all over magazines and reviews at the time, plus one of my local shops used to stock them for at least a couple of years after I started. I very much remember fawning after an X-1 (I think?) with the dual maple & rosewood fingerboard. :)
    sorry - my error and I meant to type 00's (must have hit the 9 and not an 0) - The shopped I worked in at the time I left in 2004 and I know Maverick were still around then 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    grungebob said:
    I don’t know how much truth is in it but back in the mid to late 90’s a chap that ran a music shop in Cleethorpes claimed to be responsible in some manner for Mavericks design. 
    Maybe close - Maverick was run in the UK by a guy called Mark and I now forget his surname - Might be Mark James - I recall he was based in the Lincs area, so maybe a connection at the time with a store in that area

He quit the trade and went to live in Malta

Was always a small 'one man business' and under-funded, so whilst there was interest at the time it was always a small operation 
    Yeah that was his name. The shop was called river music. I wonder if it is/was him?

i wanted one of their explorer models with a hard tail. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    I want the Maverick Street fighter. Supposedly the best of the bunch but hard to come by. Some of them had really cool graphics painted on too.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/U6NgJbuQntY9wuko7
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 436
    Jalapeno said:
    Awesome ! I've always wanted some sort of dayglo Ibanez Sabre or plasticene Jem
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!