Your favourite Rory Gallagher moments...

What's Hot
Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 3001
I'm listening to Taste right now. Amazing. I've heard Taste many times before, just listening with fresh ears as I've not listened to them in some time.

What a track...

I have many favourite Rory moments. This is today's. I shall build on this list over time, however, feel free to contribute! I'm sure there are many more Rory highlights out there!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited June 2014
    So many highlights live. Saw Taste about a dozen times 1969 thru '71. Literally got the T-shirt still (and wear it on stage). The tone on the first album is exactly what you got live. Got him to sign the album at the Dagenham Roundhouse; stood next to Lulu at The Lyceum (when she had her feather - Charlie's Angels - hairdo and massive platform heels). IMO he was never better than in those years.  
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Literally got the T-shirt still (and wear it on stage).
    Got any photo's of you in action with said taste shirt? That sounds a little sketchy... I didn't mean it to!

Early Rory is better than later Rory for me... but then later Rory is still better than most of the modern stuff churned out by various blues rockers!

I never got to see him. I'll have to settle with the mountains of material he left behind!
    edited June 2014
    There's one on our Facebook page, doing Passenger, but I'd rather you listened to my solo on Purple Rain https://www.facebook.com/pages/5Aside-Band/603362123087697 - with me wearing my Deep Purple T-shirt :) 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34010
    Mine is playing in a band with ex-Taste bassist.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Mr McCracken ?
  • Fusionista;274329" said:
    There's one on our Facebook page, doing Passenger, but I'd rather you listened to my solo on Purple Rain https://www.facebook.com/pages/5Aside-Band/603362123087697 - with me wearing my Deep Purple T-shirt :) 
    Fusionista;274329" said:
    Nice work! Given the page a like. I tried to give your purple rain video a like too but my phone is being weird! I do a purple rain cover on my you tube channel. I really dislike the song but it seems to be a popular one. Might put that forward to me band a suggestion!
  • octatonic;274333" said:
    Have a WOW. Although not too sure how that equates to your favourite Rory moment!
    Mr McCracken ?
    Yup.
    octatonic;274333" said:
    Have a WOW. Although not too sure how that equates to your favourite Rory moment!
    It is tenuous, I admit.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic;274333" said:
    It is tenuous, I admit.
    ;)
    Fair play though! It's quite a cool claim! I've never really played with anyone famous. How did it come about you got to play with Richard McCracken?
  • Aye, Live in Europe is ace. It's no Irish Tour though!
    octatonic said:
    octatonic;274333" said:
    It is tenuous, I admit.
    ;)
    Fair play though! It's quite a cool claim! I've never really played with anyone famous. How did it come about you got to play with Richard McCracken?
    Played briefly in a rockabilly covers band called 'The Usual Crew'.
    He was in the band that I joined- only did a couple of gigs with them before my hand fucked up and I had surgery, then got into guitar building etc.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5042
    The guy in the audience mid way through the "Live at Cork Opera House" video. Wish HE WAS me....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    What's Going On?!- his general tone on that and his solo- there's some sort of irish jig thing going on with that that I love, and the note choice is just that little bit left of centre to make me sit up and take notice every time. 

Tatto'd Lady- Just love the chord changes on that, and again the solos are memorable. 

A Million Miles Away- a great blues, but typical for Rory there's a thought provoking original set of lyrics and and the solo fits the mood but remains totally original. 

Never saw him live unfortunately, but I've always enjoyed looking in on the Live in Cork clips on Youtube.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    The guy in the audience mid way through the "Live at Cork Opera House" video. Wish HE WAS me....
    Not sure what you're on about? Will have a look at the Live Cork Opera House DVD tonight. I've got it but not seen it in a while!

On another note...

Larry Miller features on the front of one of the Rory Album covers (Stage Struck I think?) which he discusses in this video...

Quite an interesting watch if you have 26 minutes free!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11453
    Pretty much anything from On The Boards or the Beat Club Sessions (especialy Hands Up, where the band just blitz it), or the intro on this:

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    three moments: 

- first time hearing Sugar Mama on that early live album - the extremely slow blues tunes on that record are great

- first time Seems to Me came on on the car stereo

- Rory's live gig in Dortmund some time in the late 80s

I'm not a massive fan of much of his output but some of his stuff is utterly brilliant and he's been a big influence on how I play (that doesn't mean he's to be blamed for how crap I still am!).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That 'glitsch' in his solo in Sugar Mama - is so real.

I blame him for my habit of making solos seem faster by using hammer ons. I suppose there are worse things :-)
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748

Skarloey said:
    What's Going On?!- his general tone on that and his solo- there's some sort of irish jig thing going on with that that I love, and the note choice is just that little bit left of centre to make me sit up and take notice every time. 

Tatto'd Lady- Just love the chord changes on that, and again the solos are memorable. 

A Million Miles Away- a great blues, but typical for Rory there's a thought provoking original set of lyrics and and the solo fits the mood but remains totally original. 

Never saw him live unfortunately, but I've always enjoyed looking in on the Live in Cork clips on Youtube.  
    Three very good choices. I think Tattoo'd Lady fits in very well with Bad Penny and Shadow Play. What's Going On has those 'how is he doing that' runs (less well defined on the Isle of White album, but with more energy). For me though choosing desert island discs it would have to be something from Calling Card, the whole album is driven by this relentless beat. Jacknife Beat would come pretty high, but, partly because it's the first of his I met, Moonchild wins out.