Rhett Shull - blocked on YouTube for playing his own guitar solo

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
Interesting - with YouTube's 'three strikes' and all your content gets deleted this could damage content creators.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AGKrakenAGKraken Frets: 1
    I enjoy Rhetts videos since I found him via Rick Beato.  Good to hear the views of an active musician.  I haven’t seen this video yet but I wonder if they were testing to see if they get blocked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27786
    Sony got their own game trailer blocked last week for a claim from an old mobile developer. 

YouTube’s copyright system needs massive change because at this point it’s just broken
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    I can think of plenty of reasons to block him. This is just a case of an automated system blocking first and allowing challenges afterwards. 

That said, I'd probably get permission from the label before posting a solo from an unreleased track. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    soma1975 said:
    I can think of plenty of reasons to block him. This is just a case of an automated system blocking first and allowing challenges afterwards. 

That said, I'd probably get permission from the label before posting a solo from an unreleased track. 

It wasn't the label that blocked him (not even sure there is one - small regional US band - hardly the Rolling Stones) and according to the vid he helped arrange the track and wrote the solo so it could be argued he should get a writing credit. He's been in the band for 7 years and main guy is a personal friend.

The video was up for months with no action taken against it and in fact had virtually stopped getting any views and so wasn't earning him any money. He thinks it was human intervention and was the radio station which shot the video on an iPhone. He was arguing they don't own the copyright to the song or the performance (he only showed a short clip of him playing the solo as an illustration of what the Strymon Iridium sounded like live).

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Surely it depends what was agreed when they went on the station?

If the station have the rights, then there is a case for it to be blocked.  If I used part of Rhett's video in mine, then he has grounds to block me surely?

However, he has made a video about it, which will generate income, so is it a win for him overall?

I feel for him, and like him as a Youtuber (even if he is very cooperate) but I don't see the system as wrong as such in this case, but yes fecked overall

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the issue would be that the radio station has put a copyright claim for him using a video clip that they created and own. Not the use of the song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I think the issue would be that the radio station has put a copyright claim for him using a video clip that they created and own. Not the use of the song.

I think you're probably right.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Lasted 10 seconds - “I wasn’t intending on making a video today” (but something resembling content presented itself so I couldn’t resist). Some of these YouTube “stars” are the modern equivalent of the local gossip who have too much time on their hands and like the sound of their own voice - bore-off.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 456
    does anyone give a toss (apart form Mr Shull)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 645
    Certainly not a fan of Shull's style of "The most CLICKBAITY titles I have EVER SEEN, with HUGELY UNDERWHELMING content". However the situation does seem a little farcical. Regardless of whether there was some sort of copyright agreement in place over who owns that bit of footage, you'd have thought it was a sufficiently win-win scenario that the radio station wouldn't actually want to enforce it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    Basically I just have an intense dislike for him that will colour my opinion of any ill befalling him. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3057
    edited June 2020
    soma1975 said:
    Basically I just have an intense dislike for him that will colour my opinion of any ill befalling him. 
    Looking forward to you reaction the day Rhett gets together with Ariel Posen lol 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    *shudder*

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697

I started watching it but it was so boring I had to give up.  Talk about going round the houses....

But it seemed like it wasn't really anything to do with him getting in trouble for using his own solo or his mate's song, it was about him using a video clip which belonged to the radio station (regardless of content)?

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    Philly_Q said:

But it seemed like it wasn't really anything to do with him getting in trouble for using his own solo or his mate's song, it was about him using a video clip which belonged to the radio station (regardless of content)?

Exactly. I have a hard time believing that he doesn't know this.

On the other hand, it seems the radio station didn't get anyone's permission to film the band in the first place.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

There's also something fairly brass neckish when a musician happily devalues other people's work by taking their content without permission or compensation.

Remind me to get out my tiny violin next time you whine about streaming royalties. 

Philly_Q said:

On the other hand, it seems the radio station didn't get anyone's permission to film the band in the first place.
    They still own said material though.

• Funnily enough I got one this week and the video was demonetized. A claim by CDBaby, which we put our last album out through, and I did a mix walkthrough video of one of the songs. It's so obviously my copyright from the video, but it's all automated and it sucks.

Bye!

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    soma1975 said:
    Philly_Q said:

They still own said material though.
    Yes they do. If Rhett and the rest of the band had a problem with them making the video they probably should have had the conversation at the time. Apparently the iPhone only came out during the performance, meaning the band weren't really in a position to stop and enter into contract negotiation there and then, but I suspect they didn't mind at all until now.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Was this when they were in Holland? Or was it Sweden?