Name some great guitars that have slipped under the radar and consequently are now cheap.

What's Hot

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    What about Peerless. Come across a few before but they never seem to get much of a look in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    Yamaha Super Flighter models. I'd really love to get another SF1000.
    Godin's are great.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    G&L, doesn't matter where they're made, they're all good.
    Great value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    Sassafras said:
    Great value.
    Except for the 10.5lb Strats and Tele's that are kicking about... Seen a few of them now. Pricey USA models as well. That is a failure of guitar making to me, to build an S or T that heavy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14824
    tFB Trader
    CloudNine said:
    Sassafras said:
    Great value.
    Except for the 10.5lb Strats and Tele's that are kicking about... Seen a few of them now. Pricey USA models as well. That is a failure of guitar making to me, to build an S or T that heavy.

Agree - probably the biggest issue with G&L is that some can be mighty weighty - Far to much for such a Fender-esq style - I know Fender in the late 70's went heavy, but that was during  a bad regime and very little competition - But G&L should now be able to fine tune body weights - Nearly everyone else does

I'm not a fan of the trem system on the Strat-esq models and almost over engineered for the sake of it  but have played some very good ASAT/Tele based models
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    I'll probably get flamed but... generic quality issues aside the Les Paul Signature T model from around 2013. They are basically a Les Paul Standard albeit with a different fretboard material, granadillo vs rosewood, but you also get locking tuners and coil splits.

I've frequently seen them go for around £500 less than a similar era Standard.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23697
    edited June 2020
    I'd say the late lamented Hamer, although I'm not sure they're actually cheap now.  Probably still good value relative to other brands of comparable quality.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Ovation Viper
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    Used price of many Heritage Guitars are under-priced - Likewise many Yamaha Guitars excluding the SG models

God how did I forget Heritage? I once had an H140 (slimline Les Paul type) that was my favourite guitar for several years.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Hattigol said:
    Seriously?

Harley Benton with new pickups.

Will be almost as good as a R9.
    If you had written 'please lol this' it would have been no more transparent. 
    Someone has to provide that recommendation, if someone doesn't in any thread asking for an overlooked/budget instrument then there is a distinct possibility the fabric of reality may cease to exist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    bananaman said:
    I'll kick off with the Ibanez Blazer and Roadstar. Also the Yamaha FZ1000 (not the motorcycle lol), In fact any number of great Yamahas deserve to make this list.
    Yes Yamaha needs a serious mention especially the 611VFM, if it was twice the price and I had the funds I would still buy it. I haven’t been so enamoured with any of my other guitars it is fantastic. In fact once I’ve settled in to my new place I’ll be selling all but one of my other guitars (70’s tribute Les Paul gold top) and will be having a nice jaunt around Italy and France on the proceeds. (Once this virus is under control obviously). Yes the Yamaha is that good.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    Maybe VFM stands for Value For Money!
  • abw1989 said:
    I'll probably get flamed but... generic quality issues aside the Les Paul Signature T model from around 2013. They are basically a Les Paul Standard albeit with a different fretboard material, granadillo vs rosewood, but you also get locking tuners and coil splits.

I've frequently seen them go for around £500 less than a similar era Standard.
    agree with you - i have had a number of Les Pauls including an R9 which i sold and the 2 i have retained are my black signature T with its robot tuners (which i still love by the way) and my slash rossa corsa. The signature T's were a bargain back in the day
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    crunchman said:
    I wouldn't recommend the Roadstar II that I had. It had a horrible locking trem on it.
    The Ibanez Hard Rocker and Pro Rock’r vibrato bridges are easy to set flush with the top of the guitar body. Their respective string anchoring methods leave much to be desired.

Yamaha YSG - the early Eighties design collaboration with Paul Reed Smith before he decided to start his own mass production company.

Spoiled only by its pickups, eccentric control circuit and, in some instances, a terrible vibrato.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Peavey T60

High end Pacificas like the 812

Custom things like Felines and USA Washburns, Schecters, etc
    Hear hear on Washburn. My US N5 looks great, sounds great and plays like butter.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • Kent747 said:
    G&L - US builds. 
    This too!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    JerkMoans said:
    Gibson 'The Paul'.  

Although I sold mine.  But it was great.  And comparatively cheap, esp. for a 40 year old.

Sssssshhhh!
    Prices are creeping up.

I think they'd make a great re-finish project. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    Maton acoustics seem to get poor rap on echochamber forums. I’ve never played any other than my own but the fit and finish is first class, easy to play and quality of timbers very high. Tonally it’s great, so not sure if their online reputation is well deserved. 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 491
    Maton acoustics seem to get poor rap on echochamber forums. I’ve never played any other than my own but the fit and finish is first class, easy to play and quality of timbers very high. Tonally it’s great, so not sure if their online reputation is well deserved. 
    I was unaware that Maton had a bad rep. Growing up in Australia I came across loads of good Matons. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    Pabcrane said:
    I was unaware that Maton had a bad rep. Growing up in Australia I came across loads of good Matons. 
    If you frequent AGF you might believe they’re lifeless, toneless and only good plugged in.