Is it worth buying an investment guitar ??

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I wouldn't do it personally, just seems like a big risk, you also have to factor in where you would keep it, plus insurance for it.

My favourite place to throw spare money is Premium bonds. You may get ziltch, but you are in for the £1m prize every month. We only ever seem to win £25, I've had about 12 of them in the past 3 years, but I like being in with a chance of a big win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd take half of it, buy the best guitar I could and invest the rest in gold 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve bought investment guitars before but I think that was mostly the excuse I used to justify stuff I wanted that was too expensive. I’ve made money on Hofners, lost money on player grade Vintage Fenders and actually made quite a lot on old amps but the main benefit was I got to play them a lot. If you can buy and not play them, put them away for safety and never get them out I will believe you are investing financially, otherwise you are just enjoying great guitars and there’s nothing wrong with that. The one guitar I bought as a pure investment and did literally hide it away was a 1960 Gibson 330. I sold eventually for a profit and the night before it went I got it out and had a play - god, I wished I’d played it more, if I had I would probably have never sold it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    A beach hut in Chernobyl would be a safer bet.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I have made 400 quid on a book  about Ferraris  but its so rare I was lucky to trip over it .It may well not be worth so much now Ebay arrived .
  • Invest in a guitar? no way.

Put it here, Baillie Gifford American B Accumulation Fund. It's up 55% this year to date, I put some money in on 17th March in the bottom of the dip and am up 77% so far:

It's a pity you can't predict these moves, in march, after that dip it could have gone either way. In the past, I've realized 600% profits with some stocks, but also -100% with others...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2020
    Spend 2k on 3 guitars, and try to make a Grammy Award winning album, which should produce a healthy profit. Guitars are tools, not financial investments 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I often wonder if the generation's who lust after vintage guitar start dying off, will the vintage market die off with them? The kids don't share our obsession with detail and who made what and when in what colour etc. I think they are blessed in that respect. Sad thing is, if the market does crash,non of us will be round to buy them all up ha.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4326
    Invest in a guitar lol,  gold sovereigns in a steredent tube , and not the fancy shmancy collectible ones , just ones worth their weight in gold or older ones

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    sawyer said:
    I often wonder if the generation's who lust after vintage guitar start dying off, will the vintage market die off with them? The kids don't share our obsession with detail and who made what and when in what colour etc. I think they are blessed in that respect. Sad thing is, if the market does crash,non of us will be round to buy them all up ha.
    I think its inevitable. And i think the people who justified endless guitars with "ill always get back what I paid" will be in for a shock at somepoint. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    sawyer said:
    I think its inevitable. And i think the people who justified endless guitars with "ill always get back what I paid" will be in for a shock at somepoint. 
    Buy used, don't overpay, and be prepared to chuck them in the bin when you are finished 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    The Virus and an  unneeded Brexit are going to screw the economy into the ground with no way out except a lot of pain and hard work by badly paid peasants (us).If you have spare money  keep it  and if you still want to buy a guitar in two years time it will be about perfect timing  as everyone else will be begging for a job .
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    gringopig said:
    Don't do it!!
    Reduce debt or invest in an ISA
    Reduce debt defintely, if you have a mortgage get overpaying as you'll save in the long run imo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    King85 said:
    gringopig said:
    Don't do it!!
    Reduce debt or invest in an ISA
    Reduce debt defintely, if you have a mortgage get overpaying as you'll save in the long run imo

Not if you're on a low interest rate mortgage. I'm on a 1% above base tracker so paying 1.1%

A £1,000 off the mortgage saves so little interest you are better off investing...unless...there is a risk to surety of income for the rest of the duration of the mortgage.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426
    edited June 2020

You'd be better off buying ten grands worth of Lego Star Wars and keeping it boxed. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19460
    Aren't all such high price purchases just speculations not investments?
    Buy what you love & enjoy it, as life's tricky & you might not be in a position to cash in when you plan to.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    Thanks for the input guys , I think I’ve talked myself out of it !! 
    Wisdom awarded.  :)
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2427
    edited June 2020
    I agree with @sawyer.
    The market for guitars and their value will be falling.
    They don't wear out. More and more get built. A few may be destroyed.
    The people who want to buy them are only getting fewer and fewer.
    I reckon that the market has probably gone past its peak. The odd guitars may be bucking this trend in the short term, but if you want to get the money out of your old guitar, I'd sell it now, unless it is a famous one.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12117
    edited June 2020
    wrong amount. and too illiquid
    Shares ISA would be better really

If you want guitars, optimum is to look for several underpriced used pro instruments over 6-12 months
    PRS were great buys a few years ago, supply/demand varies over time
    Never likely to make much cash though compared to decent share investments
  • liamonliamon Frets: 105
    I think if you buy clever you can make some small returns. And have a great time while you’re at it. Depends what return on investment you’re looking at. With 10k you could hedge over a few guitars/amps and do pretty well I think.  

My problem is I don’t want to part with them.