Is it worth buying an investment guitar ??

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• liamonliamon Frets: 105
    ToneControl said:
    If you want guitars, optimum is to look for several underpriced used pro instruments over 6-12 months
    Yep I agree with this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    I don’t invest. But the expensive guitars I have bought are all worth more money now than what I paid for them some have increased a large amount. All a happy accident. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5116
    edited June 2020
    Adey said:
    I agree with @sawyer.
    The market for guitars and their value will be falling.
    They don't wear out. More and more get built. A few may be destroyed.
    The people who want to buy them are only getting fewer and fewer.
    I reckon that the market has probably gone past its peak. The odd guitars may be bucking this trend in the short term, but if you want to get the money out of your old guitar, I'd sell it now, unless it is a famous one.
    People were saying this kind of thing 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. Yet the prices of vintage and high-end guitars have gone up steadily over most time periods, and customer demand shows no sign of abating. Maybe it will one day. Or maybe the demand for the original old instruments that made rock music what it is, and their modern day high quality reissues, will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. I’m certainly not recommending buying a vintage or high-end guitar as a financial investment but the history is interesting, especially considering that as far back as the 1980s people were talking about the death of the guitar!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1362
    The world is full of experts on the future
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2020
    People were saying this kind of thing 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. Yet the prices of vintage and high-end guitars have gone up steadily over most time periods, and customer demand shows no sign of abating. Maybe it will one day. Or maybe the demand for the original old instruments that made rock music what it is, and their modern day high quality reissues, will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. I’m certainly not recommending buying a vintage or high-end guitar as a financial investment but the history is interesting, especially considering that as far back as the 1980s people were talking about the death of the guitar!
    The vintage guitar market seems to be funded by older people who are cash rich, and have a connection with the artists who played these type of instruments. I don't see a demand for big band era instruments from the 30's, 40's & 50's, so will today's younger generation still want to own these guitars that are similar to the ones that Keith Richards and Jeff Beck used to play? I reckon they might be more interested in collecting rare early games consoles or something similar  
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    Freebird said:

The vintage guitar market seems to be funded by older people who are cash rich, and have a connection with the artists who played these type of instruments. I don't see a similar demand for big band era instruments from the 30's, 40's & 50's, so will today's younger generation still want to own originals of the type of guitars that Keith Richards & Jeff Beck used to play? I reckon they might be more interested in collecting rare early games consoles or something similar  
    I have a Sega Master System 2 in the attic if anyone fancies a trade for their pre CBS strat
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14804
    LOL + Wiz = Wow!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 489
    edited June 2020
    I've got my fingers crossed my '86 PRS that I paid a grand for a few years ago will be worth a little more in a few years... I'm just enjoying it for the time being   =)
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    If you buy a second hand one and you ensure you are buying it at the market value price you are not taking any huge risk as in the worst case scenario you will sell it at pretty much the same price. 

But if you are not playing it and you are buying it for the sole intention to make profit I would think twice.
  • MichaelWattsMichaelWatts Frets: 181
    There is no better investment than a guitar. 

When it comes to time. 

I would never recommend buying an instrument as a financial investment. Not even for a consortium of Chinese oligarchs chipping in for a Stradivarius. 
  • Michael84Michael84 Frets: 30
    If it's a real bargain and you're planning to play it, then yes. If not, better buy £10k worth of gold coins and bury them in your garden. There are no good investments right now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Possibly, but as said ^^^^ it's a fickle market.  I recall the 1970s when you couldn't get arrested with a Les Paul, it was Strats all the way, then it flipped (I blame Thin Lizzy ;) ) and the reverse applied.

Unless you're willing to shell out A LOT for an already vintage I'd say it's a waste of time & effort.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 67
    Before you invest either have someone do a risk profile for you or do one online. Your profile will tell you the type of investments you should be putting your money into. Eg high risk portfolio = guitar. Low medium risk portfolio = no guitar. Mixed portfolio may equal guitar but it might be best starting with low/medium risk products if you haven’t got any thus far (ISAs/bonds/blue chip equities etc).