Controversial... but I think we need a Bump bucket

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1400
    saw the thread and couldn't help but think of @colourofsound 's hunt for Sekiro  :#

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13052
    edited June 2020
    It’s true though. If you have to bump, it’s not going to be selling for a reason...! 

I used to be on Basschat and there was a seller there who always massively overpriced his stuff and his constant b U M P posts used to boil
    my piss.
    I can't remember his username but there's a guy at basschat who is seemingly literally incapable of writing the word eBay. He writes it as FEEbay (capitalisation included). Every single time. He's also fond of PAINpal. 

I think he's a grown adult, who gets to vote and stuff. Its scary. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28027
    I can't remember his username but there's a guy at basschat who is seemingly literally incapable of writing the word eBay. He writes it as FEEbay (capitalisation included). Every single time. He's also fond of PAINpal. 

Scary!!

Since when have Bassists been allowed to vote???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3493
    edited June 2020
    Not a great idea, IMO.

What happens to WTB threads? They sometimes don't get any traction for weeks but I can't remember the last time I posted and don't get a response.

Why does it matter if someone wants to price something "wrongly". The admins have chosen not to charge for ads, so just enjoy the amazing privilege.

I personally have never heard of the notion of a bump race to the top. I've never thought of it like that and not sure others do either. We get one bump every two days, I just bump then or when I remember.

Like I said, enjoy the privilege. You to can bump.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2591
    Interesting comments - I think it helps paint the picture  =)

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited June 2020
    I’d quite like to fine those who do comment on classifieds with criticism - £10 for failure to actually be able to read the rules. 

£20 for then answering back after being PM’d with “but it is overpriced so why shouldn’t I let people know?”

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    It’s true though. If you have to bump, it’s not going to be selling for a reason...! 

I used to be on Basschat and there was a seller there who always massively overpriced his stuff and his constant b U M P posts used to boil
    my piss.

Can’t lol AND wis, but want to...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Amps take ages usually, and speakers. Really it depends which way the wind is blowing sometimes
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    It would be much more useful to be able to sort search results in the classifieds by date.
    Roland said:
    When selling in the classifieds I think we should introduce a bump bucket. Similar to a swear bucket.
    As the man who would have to manage that I can tell you now that it won’t happen. People who over bump get flagged. First time around they get a warning, with a threat that second time around they lose Classified access. This tends to work.
    My tongue in cheek thread was aimed at those threads that hang around for months and months being bumped continuously 10+ times - and legally may I add - but with the same results. Nothing changes, the item (everyday stuff not high end or rare/unique stuff) remains and it is obvious no one wants it at the price.

We could make a rule like; after the fifth bump you have to either reduce the price or make a donation to the site - come on, it would be fun :lol: 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    LPManic said:
    It would be much more useful to be able to sort search results in the classifieds by date.
    Use site:thefretboard.co.uk [search terms] in google. You can do exactly that. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    My tongue in cheek thread was aimed at those threads that hang around for months and months being bumped continuously 10+ times - and legally may I add - but with the same results. Nothing changes, the item (everyday stuff not high end or rare/unique stuff) remains and it is obvious no one wants it at the price.

We could make a rule like; after the fifth bump you have to either reduce the price or make a donation to the site - come on, it would be fun :lol: 

How about a rule where if you post a thread suggesting something, and then everyone replies and says "no that's a terrible idea", you're not allowed to just repeat the same idea again at the bottom of the page.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    You can, it's hidden in the advanced search options. 
    roberty said:
    Amps take ages usually, and speakers. Really it depends which way the wind is blowing sometimes
    Amps sell a lot quicker if shipping is available. 

I understand why sellers don't want to ship but on a forum with a relatively small userbase the odds of someone living "nearby" who also wants your amp must be relatively small for most of us. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    I agree with most the comments made above in favour of bumping. Although some items may be too highly priced there are many others that simply await the right buyer in what is a very small market place.

An additional consideration is that since lockdown there has been a lot more activity on the forum. As a result something posted for sale in the morning can be several pages down the Recent Discussions section by that evening and effectively lost forever 48 hours later.

Even something posted in the guitars £ section can be buried within a day or two. So, yes, bumping is needed.

I’ve currently got a WTB thread running. I decided I’d bump it once a week just in the hope something will turn up. It’s actually been ‘bumped’ more often by other members making helpful comments even though the wanted item hasn’t yet surfaced.
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    I think there should be a limit on wtb threads, or at least a time limit between bumps. If you’re not getting a response after a week or two then probably no one is selling. 

Also people who comment ‘all sold’ are a pet peeve of mine as it pushes a dead thread to the top. Just mark everything as sold, indicate it in the title and let it die
    prlgmnr said:

How about a rule where if you post a thread suggesting something, and then everyone replies and says "no that's a terrible idea", you're not allowed to just repeat the same idea again at the bottom of the page.
    :lol: tbf it was slightly different 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    I think there should be a limit on wtb threads, or at least a time limit between bumps. If you’re not getting a response after a week or two then probably no one is selling. 
    I think you are missing a point. There may or may not be someone selling here during the week or two but there is a nice community of members here who are willing to look out for the wanted item which is very helpful. There is also the situation where someone decides a few weeks later that perhaps they might sell their guitar, amp, whatever after all and remember someone wanted one but can they find that thread? No chance. It would be a trillion pages down and the Vanilla search facility Is woeful. So WTB bumps are useful and if they bother you -  don’t read them ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've had stuff sell after being on the classifieds for over a year.
    Ah but did you bump it once a week for 52 weeks?
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    I’d be willing to make a modest contribution to the site to put an ad in classifieds.

I’ve bought and sold a few bits on here during lockdown, and everyone has been decent.

Compared to the twats on eBay, classifieds here is an absolute pleasure  :)